Pinkins (Are we getting too cute)

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Heard Clayton say today that the conversion of Pinkins from safety to corner is "not looking good". He also said that he got beat multiple times by Richardson today. Now this is only day one of rookie camp so we can't say the conversion is not going to work based on today and we also have to realize that converting to another position like that in the pros is a tough task and will take time but I am just wondering. Are we becoming too confident with our ability to convert players? Have we become too cute and are we passing up good ready to play players for players that are obviously not ready and may never be?

drdiags

Reaction score
So having a belief in what you do is being too cute? I think you are over-thinking stuff. The guy was picked on the back end of the draft. It all is a crap shoot at that point. It isn't like they picked the guy in the 1st round. Folks said the Seahawks were being cute drafting Chancellor.

How did that turn out? Clayton is just doing what he does. The guy was a safety. Do you expect All-Pro corner play week 1 after the draft?

lsheldon

Reaction score
A lot of people are going to get beat by Richardson, I wouldn't use that as a yard stick as to whether Pinkins will make it as a Corner. Carroll is high on Pinkins, and I'm sure it will take more than one day of mini camp before the coaches are finished with him. Maybe we as fans get too impatient.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It was only one practice but I get the feeling he will be more valuable as the backup to Kam Chancellor. Great straight line speed, hard hitter, and decent in coverage. Hips look too stiff to play corner.

Asset on special teams from Day One, and then he takes over as Chancellor's backup in year two.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Maxwell was a 6th round pick. Didn't play a ton his first 2 years. They slowly developed him and now heading into his fourth season he is on the cusp of becoming a top CB in the league.

Pinkins was literally drafted a week ago and is just starting the transition to a new position. Let's give it some time.

JKent82

Reaction score
Wait our 1st round WR is beating our 6th round safety turned corner as of a few days ago? Isn't the correct result. Wouldn't it be like a bazillion times worse if it was the other result.

I think most of our results have come from taking driven, confident but raw players and coaching them up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pinkins can develop at his own pace. The fact that the Seahawks are set in the secondary, in terms of starting and even backup depth. That allows them to take chances on players like Pinkins and develop them. Other teams don't have such luxury.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Blah blah blah....

All this crap means nothing until the pads come on. Getting excited about rookies in shorts is unwise.

theascension

Reaction score
First day isn't working out send him home... wait remember how long MOST of our players took to develop?
We need some patience, Maxwell and Tate didn't happen overnight either.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Wow, his first practice ever as a pro and at a new position...

Had Perkins locked down Richardson the topic title would have been "PC/JS reached on a crap WR who looks like a bust against a college S turned CB" or something to that tune. Cant win.

Such a slow off season.

seanutz

Reaction score
drdiags":1mfs1uyv said:
So having a belief in what you do is being too cute? I think you are over-thinking stuff. The guy was picked on the back end of the draft. It all is a crap shoot at that point. It isn't like they picked the guy in the 1st round. Folks said the Seahawks were being cute drafting Chancellor.

How did that turn out? Clayton is just doing what he does. The guy was a safety. Do you expect All-Pro corner play week 1 after the draft?
We'll said couldn't agree more!!! :0190l:

sutz

Reaction score
Better get him outta here before the ink dries on his contract. That's when it really counts, you know.

Frankly, I thought we were deeper at safety than at CB coming into the draft, thus the conversion maybe. Better minds than mine are working on the issue. I'd give him a week, at least.

:sarcasm_off: (not the "deeper at safety" comment. That was serious. ;))

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
A) He hasn't learned Carroll's EXTREMELY effective system.

B) Richardson runs a 4.28 40. Weapons grade fast.

Mick063

Reaction score
lsheldon":3pb9ari9 said:
A lot of people are going to get beat by Richardson, I wouldn't use that as a yard stick as to whether Pinkins will make it as a Corner. Carroll is high on Pinkins, and I'm sure it will take more than one day of mini camp before the coaches are finished with him. Maybe we as fans get too impatient.

This.....

Pinkins has to learn how to jam at the line. It will come. He probably didn't have Earl Thomas behind him either. That makes a big difference. When Seattle is taken deep, due to their coverage schemes, the free safety is an integral part of the coverage. In other words, you don't see much single coverage past 20 yards. It is why the corners play so tight to begin with. The corners just need to inhibit the path enough for the free safety to get over for help. The rook that was playing free safety shares in the "blame" here.

Sheesh....we are talking about rookies here.

Too much hyperbole by a reporter on day one.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Hey now, this is the type of thread that I always start..........not cool bro! Trying to steel my thunder............ :th2thumbs:

Meeker

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1u109vmz said:
Wow, his first practice ever as a pro and at a new position...

Had Perkins locked down Richardson the topic title would have been "PC/JS reached on a crap WR who looks like a bust against a college S turned CB" or something to that tune. Cant win.

Such a slow off season.

This lol. The reverse topic would be much more warranted.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
To hit a home run, you've got to swing for the fences.

I think the misconception you have is that we passed up on a "good, ready to play" player. In reality, around the 6th round, it's hard to find that player.