the other pick at 64...

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Maybe the plan was Gabe Jackson at #64 and Britt with one of the fourth round picks, but Cable was paranoid about losing Britt before they picked again.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3fvmkfzm said:
Maybe the plan was Gabe Jackson at #64 and Britt with one of the fourth round picks, but Cable was paranoid about losing Britt before they picked again.

So they took the guy 2 rounds early over the guy they wanted in the 2nd passing on the guy they rated as a 2nd round talent? Uhm does that make sense to you?

Maybe they just liked Britt better. Ever consider that?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe they had Jackson higher but felt they had the get a RT to compete with Bowie. Tackles are hard to find than Guard. I mean if we can turn a 7th round DT into a RG then I think Cable to turn Bowie, Bailey, Lem, or one of the FA vets we picked up.

Jackson seems much like Carp I'm glad we went with a RT who can play LT in a pinch.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
RichNhansom":amtab145 said:
So they took the guy 2 rounds early over the guy they wanted in the 2nd passing on the guy they rated as a 2nd round talent? Uhm does that make sense to you?

Maybe they just liked Britt better. Ever consider that?

They called Jackson for a reason, it's pretty rare a team calls a player when he's up and then don't select him. If they had selected Jackson, they would still have a RT need, and they obviously liked Britt enough to pick him at #64. But like Wilson sliding to round 3 in 2012, perhaps they thought, or the "they" that doesn't include Cable, they could wait another round (and a half in this case) and still pick him up, given that the consensus was Britt, like Wilson, wasn't expected to go in round 2. It isn't a novel concept that Pete and John aren't afraid to reach for draft selections, but part of the debate in that process no doubt includes prioritizing need, fear of losing the player based on chatter, how many selections they have and where those selections are in the draft.