Miller & Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio take issue with Russell

Donk70

Reaction score
I was listening to Moving the Chains with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller this afternoon when a caller asked if they could see the Seahawks equaling the Patriots run of 5 SB appearences in 10 years with 3 wins. Kirwin and Miller both said no way with Miller siting the tired old "too short" argument. Said that if a QB is not at least 6'2 and a certain weight, that the QB will not make it in the league. Then Kirwin chimed in with the game manager argument by stating that Russell had 7 games last season with 200 yards or less and averaged just 24 passes a game. Personally, I'm sick of the rhetoric that these "experts" are spewing. Now I know they are there to get conversations started and yadda yadda yadda, but Jesus, what is it going to take for t he kid to get a little respect? Christ, he's tied the record for most TD passes in the 1st 2 years of a career. Does that sound like a game manager? He's won a SB in just his 2nd year/ Does that sound like a game manager? Is it going to take half the defense being on IR and Russell throwing the ball 50 times a game to get a little respect?

Cartire

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing this. I listen to moving the chains all the time and PK loves the hawks. Thinks PC is one of the best coaches and praises Wilson all the time. And I've heard on more then one occasion Miller say that the "too short" argument was moot anymore.

Could you have taken something out of context? Or possibly they were quoting someone? Maybe Opposite Day?

OP
OP
Donk70

Donk70

Reaction score
Cartire":61bhdgxn said:
I have a hard time believing this. I listen to moving the chains all the time and PK loves the hawks. Thinks PC is one of the best coaches and praises Wilson all the time. And I've heard on more then one occasion Miller say that the "too short" argument was moot anymore.

Could you have taken something out of context? Or possibly they were quoting someone? Maybe Opposite Day?

No, not hardly.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
Wilson gets plenty of respect, but he's not gonna have everybody slobbering over his jock until he puts up gaudy Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees stats or the defense declines enough that he has to orchestrate comebacks in shootouts.

Brahn

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3s55syz7 said:
He has the most come backs in the NFL the past two years

Russel is just all about that mission boss.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Cherish the disrespect because that is one of the prime motivators of our team.
Additionally, I truly value PP giving it to Sherm. We all know who is going to win out in the long run.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":36ryx5s0 said:
He has the most come backs in the NFL the past two years
That is the most useless stat for measuring the quality of a qb.

Tebow had a bunch of comebacks when he played, but they had to "come back" because they couldnt do anything for 3 quarters.

Id rather have a qb with 0 comebacks because we led the whole game.

That isnt a knock on wilson, but come backs are meaningless.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Good thing that 45 other players suit up to help Wilson WIN games.

Man what's wrong with people.

If we had the an average defense and one of the worst running games Wilson could be getting 500-600 snaps.

But the Seahawks don't and never should under PC/JS and Co. And PC has his philosphy about ball control, he even pulls Wilson when other teams are smashed. He's not worried about Russell Wilson getting stats, nor his Wilson, they both only care about winning. Maybe it isn't sexy but its hard to argue with the success of a Championship when you're a twenty-five year old ,28 wins to 9 losses QB that just finished his Sophomore season.

Tom Brady wasn't dynamite his first 3-4 seasons either. I rather have Wilson than have to deal with more Jeykl and Hyde QBs like Luck and Kaepernick. At least Wilson has better excuse not only is he 5'11 but he didn't get gifted a HoF WR to smooth his transition (Moss, Wayne) and Wilson has had to deal with the worst pass protection yet produced consistent numbers in consecutive years despite everything that was holding the Seahawks offense back at times.

Seahawks may not win more Championships, but they'll contend for them, and be a play-off team for quite a
while because of a consistent dedicated to his craft leader like Russell Wilson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Kinda sounds like they were being sarcastic, even from your description. I didn't hear it, so I can't say, but I'd be shocked if anyone was still trying to sell the 6'2 QB argument without their tongue firmly in cheek.

chris98251

Reaction score
I love this stuff, this is what do we need to do to shut them up statement, answer dominate................ for years.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Cartire":2av0hp90 said:

This

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love all the jealousy out there, and flat out refusal to give the credit. Keep it coming media, please.
All RW did was "manage" to win a Superbowl. Sorry that you're all butt hurt that a "tall" QB didn't win the game, or one of your favorite QB's didn't win. Cry me a river bish :roll:

sedrohawk

Reaction score
i have heard jim and pat say that the hawks should franchise russell when his contract is up for one season and replace him in the draft. they basically said he is not worth the 18-20 million a year that he is gonna get.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I heard them. I didn't take any slight out of it. I thought they did a good job of explaining why it is so dam hard to do what the Patriots have done. It isn't like we have 3 buffoons of a franchise like the Phins, Jets, and Bills to help us along with a load of division championships like the Pats either. Besides, most of the fun in being a fan comes in watching your team do things people think they can't. This team is easily one of the least conventional groups of players and coaches we have ever seen. That will lead to some doubts from certain quarters.

I am not the biggest fan of Jim Miller's radio skills, but Kirwan has never been unfair as an analyst.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Weird I was listening to that show yesterday and someone called in to ask them about that very subject and they specifically said the height issue was there but moot because of wilsons ability to make plays and buy time, but also because of his remarkably high release. The talked about Seneca Wallace and his poor release always getting balls batted down.

to any talk about not giving Wilson a contract and franchising him id really have to hear it, but a lot of these analysts lately are talking about how because of the way rookie contracts are set up, its almost worth while to franchise a guy for a year
before giving him his big contract because every new contract you give is going to try to out do the last one so if you franchise them you basically cam average that out with their 3, 4, or 5 year rookie deal to get an average that is club friendly. Maybe that us what they meant?