Who are you memorializing today?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
For me it's my grandpa, Richard Smelser. WW2 navy vet and amazing man. Raised 8 kids, which lead to a bunch of grand kids and to many great grandchildren to keep track of. He was never really a big seahawks fan, but he always made it a point to ask me how they were doing. I miss him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kf4854q said:
For me it's my grandpa, Richard Smelser. WW2 navy vet and amazing man. Raised 8 kids, which lead to a bunch of grand kids and to many great grandchildren to keep track of. He was never really a big seahawks fan, but he always made it a point to ask me how they were doing. I miss him.
Great topic J, like you for me it's my grandfather who passed in 1996 at 81 years old, he served in WWII, a humble man with a big heart that loved his family and friends. Saturday I stopped by the crematorium to visit him and grandma that passed last year.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
My dad, Alfred Knight. Fought in WW2 as a Marine and in the Korean War in the Army. He passed away last January and I miss him very much.

Erebus

Reaction score
One of the nice things about being stationed in Maryland is that I'm not far from Arlington National Cemetery. We went there on Saturday to place flowers on my wife's uncle's grave. He was a staff sergeant in the Air Force in Vietnam and earned the Distinguished Flying Cross with four oak leaf clusters. I've never met him, but from what I heard of his accomplishments, I admire and respect him.

More personally for me, my grandpa was a Sergeant Major in the Army and served in the Korean war. He passed away from multiple strokes in 1997. So I'm remembering my grandpa and wife's uncle today.

grizbob

Reaction score
That would be my father, who died 55 years ago while in service with the Navy. Didn't get to know him as I was only 8 when he died.

halfrack

Reaction score
My brother Jerry. He died while in the navy. I too don't remember him well as I was Nine in 1968 when he was killed in a helicopter crash in Georgia. I am very proud to be his brother.

Also my father William. He served in WWII and Korea he retired from the navy In 1959. We lost him ten years ago from cancer at age 84. I am very proud to be his son.

They are the reasons I joined the navy. We'll see you both when the good Lord calls me home.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Two friends from my old cav scout platoon. The emotional scars from Iraq was too much for them to overcome. RIP Brad and Michael.

Largent80

Reaction score
For me, I was at the gym and just remembering being drafted for Vietnam and the anguish and terrifying aspects of war.

I came home in one piece, however a LOT of my fellow classmates did not, and it is men and women like them that allow us to have the day off and BBQ. Their sacrifices are not forgotton. Every day in THIS country 22 men or women take their own lives due to PTSD, and if you know a vet in distress reach out to them.

I salute all fellow service members.

D6tcTej

v1rotv2

Reaction score
My father a WWII vet who spent 3 days in the water after having his ship shot from under him. His injuries lasted until the day he died in 1992. And Major Rainford Tiffin. When I was in Nam he was the bracelet I chose to wear. It's been on my wrist for over 40 years now. Probably will be buried when they plant me.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
LS-85. And a couple of friends that have gone by the wayside. One brother in arms and one a friend's dad. I shall also add my old commander who left us several years back...and another....OK Too many to count now.

sc85sis

Reaction score
My grandfather, father, uncle and sister have all served. My grandfather lied about his age and joined the Navy to serve in WWI, then was selected to attend the Academy (and had to fess up about his age--LOL). He then served as a naval aviator in WWII. He died of a heart attack before I was born.

Fair winds and following seas, Grandpa.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Thankfully don't have to memorialize him yet, but my dad is a veteran and I'm sure this day will take on additional personal meaning for me someday (hopefully far in the future). Thank you to all the .NET posters who have served.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
My Uncle Norman landed at Normandy (no pun intended) and lived to tell about it. My Uncle Lester was on an RC135E when it disappeared over the Bering Sea somewhere between Shemya and Eielson AFB. Mighty unforgiving water in that area. No trace of the aircraft was ever found. Last radio transmission from the plane was that they were experiencing severe vibrations and were descending, dawning O2 masks. SALUTE, Lester, you are not forgotten!

My exploits pale in comparison. Happened to be in the gulf in 81 when we shot down some of Muammar al-Gaddafi's aeroplanes. Had a lot of fun flirting with the Soviets later on while with P-3s. Also went to Desert Shield and WW-Storm where provided some eyes for the fleet. :mrgreen:

kidhawk

Reaction score
our family always takes the day to honor the memory of my grandfather. He's been gone now for a long time (1976) but was only 59 when he passed. He too was a WWII vet and a great family man.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1q5z46ul said:
Thankfully don't have to memorialize him yet, but my dad is a veteran and I'm sure this day will take on additional personal meaning for me someday (hopefully far in the future). Thank you to all the .NET posters who have served.

We have a day for that...Veterans Day. :)