Carroll: Earl Thomas would be PR if season started today

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not sure if serious...

RT @bcondotta: Lots of personnel updates from Carroll. Says Earl Thomas would be punt returner if season started today.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Good thing they have the rest of the off-season to get Paul Richardson and/or Christine Michael ready for punt return duties. They will find a way to get those playmakers some more touches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":122txuoa said:
Good thing they have the rest of the off-season to get Paul Richardson and/or Christine Michael ready for punt return duties. They will find a way to get those playmakers some more touches.

Yeah IMO it's Richardson's job to lose. No one can tell me that wasn't part of the plan in drafting him.

Now if he throws up all over himself in the pre season games, then it's going to go to someone with safe hands like Angry Doug.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Let the best man for the job do it.

People are such worrywarts about this kind of stuff. If the best man is Thomas, Harvin or Sherman, then so be it. Does anyone still think it was mistake to put Harvin on KO returns last year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2c9vov7f said:

People are such worrywarts about this kind of stuff. If the best man is Thomas, Harvin or Sherman, then so be it. Does anyone still think it was mistake to put Harvin on KO returns last year?

Who had a problem with Harvin on KO's?

I think the reservation with someone like ET on punt returns is injury. No one here thinks he'd be bad at it, but if he got injured this fanbase would be on fire with anger towards Pete for putting him in.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If this is our only option, we shoulda kept tate.

I have no doubts ET would be an amazing punt returner.

However unlike Harvin, if ET goes down our entire defense takes a huge step backwards.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ziia3ju said:
DavidSeven":1ziia3ju said:

I think the reservation with someone like ET on punt returns is injury. No one here thinks he'd be bad at it, but if he got injured this fanbase would be on fire with anger towards Pete for putting him in.

A lot of people were against putting Harvin on KO returns last year for the exact same concerns you stated for ET.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm ok with Harvin returning kicks myself. If he's going to get hurt may as well be doing something he's really freaking good at. I imagine we will see him right back out there this year, as that's one of the reasons we acquired him.

However our offense doesn't break down if he goes out, our D does if Earl is out. Earl is one of the main reasons we are finally superbowl champions - throwing him out on punts for a few extra return yards would be a huge mistake.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I have no doubt we have a quality punt returner on our roster, and I don't WANT it to happen, but a little part of me is curious to see what a guy like Earl could do back there.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":29bb1b6h said:

I don't think it was a mistake to put Harvin on KO duty, but there is a difference in KO returns and punt returns.

And given our defense, I think we should see many more punt returns than KO returns. I'm not worried about Thomas getting injured or anything, but I am worried that extra punt return duties could potentially wear on Thomas. His most valuable attribute is his ridiculous speed, and I wouldn't want anything to sap that even a little bit, seeing how important he is to our defense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
At least it makes more sense than having Sherman do it.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
It's laughable that Earl Thomas will be returning kicks. Pete's just giving the press a little treat to snack on on day 1 of OTA's

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I do think someone else will "win" the job at camp. Would think P-Rich is the actual front-runner.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":rfd1e8dp said:
Sgt. Largent":rfd1e8dp said:
DavidSeven":rfd1e8dp said:

A lot of people were against putting Harvin on KO returns last year for the exact same concerns you stated for ET.

I must have missed all those comments.

Anyway, I wouldn't put it past Pete to do something like this, but I don't think it'll happen........nor do I want it to happen. Earl is our most irreplaceable player on defense. Harvin, Richardson, Michael, Baldwin, take your pick.........but no ET!

pmedic920

Reaction score
If you look at loosing Percy vs Earl, wow. I don't want to loose either one of them, however the Hawks won a bunch without #11, I'm not sure that's what happens if #29 is not on the field.
PH is not the heart of the "O".
IMHO ET is the heart of the "D"
I'd be willing to play with a few less yards on PRs to keep #29 on the field playing defense.
I hope that it's not a real possibility that Earl returns punts.
Even if he is the best we have at it. I'd rather see the 2nd best guy doing it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":3qgvh6dc said:
If you look at loosing Percy vs Earl, wow. I don't want to loose either one of them, however the Hawks won a bunch without #11, I'm not sure that's what happens if #29 is not on the field.
PH is not the heart of the "O".
IMHO ET is the heart of the "D"
I'd be willing to play with a few less yards on PRs to keep #29 on the field playing defense.
I hope that it's not a real possibility that Earl returns punts.
Even if he is the best we have at it. I'd rather see the 2nd best guy doing it.

After thinking about it some more, I've come to the conclusion that I want Earl to return 1 punt for us, and I want that punt to be in the 2nd half of our next Super Bowl win and we're already up by 30+ points. This is about the only scenario I can see myself wanting to see him back there and mainly only because his blazing speed is intriguing. I love watching him run back his INT's