Gregg Scruggs is not here to collect a paycheck

OP
OP
rigelian

rigelian

Reaction score
I have a good feeling about Scruggs this year. He has the right attitude.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Against teams like SF, Carolina, St. Louis, etc., they're probably going to want Scruggs to start in that base defense at the five technique with Bennett on the other side at LEO.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't know about best athlete over 310 pounds, he could be though, but the guy is in extraordinary shape and looks to only have no more than 10% body fat.

To put that in perspective Brandon Mebane is listed at 311 but he looks like he's carries 325.

I think this is going to be your starting O-Line:

LEO: Bennett
3T: Scruggs
NT: Mebane
5T: McDaniel

Bennett imo is a step-up from Clemons. Pass rush is a wash but Bennett provides better run defense.

Scruggs has the potential to be better than anyone we have plugged at 3T since Carroll took over.

Mebane has been great and while he might be on the decline of his prime, I think the continuation of him getting snubbed will only fuel his fire.

McDaniel has the potential to be as much of a immoveable boulder Bryant was but also provide a little better pass-rush from the position.

Sure we've lost depth and leadership but the potential is there for the D-Line in base defense to improve vs the pass and the rush.

Erebus

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3dx90wln said:
Against teams like SF, Carolina, St. Louis, etc., they're probably going to want Scruggs to start in that base defense at the five technique with Bennett on the other side at LEO.

Why? What do those offenses have in common that I'm not seeing?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":hdptm2b4 said:

It very well could be. Carroll did mention wanting McDaniel to replace Bryant at the five technique. In the first day of OTAs, Scruggs was taking second team reps at the five technique behind Bennett and McDaniel was still at the three technique being backed up by Jordan Hill. But a lot can happen in this competition. Hill could also breakout in camp and take that three technique spot. Or maybe Jesse Williams comes in and wows them at either spot.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2014":14bkm25f said:
Pandion Haliaetus":14bkm25f said:

It very well could be. Carroll did mention wanting McDaniel to replace Bryant at the five technique. In the first day of OTAs, Scruggs was taking second team reps at the five technique behind Bennett and McDaniel was still at the three technique being backed up by Jordan Hill. But a lot can happen in this competition. Hill could also breakout in camp and take that three technique spot. Or maybe Jesse Williams comes in and wows them at either spot.

Really? Who is going to snap the ball?.......... just kidding .... realize O-Line should have read D-Line.

I was disappointed with the Scruggs injury last year. Huge let down for me. I am so past ready to see how the staff fits him in. Anticipating Gregg Scruggs will have an impact on the defensive line in 2014.

With regards to a starting defensive line, I think that was less and less relevant as they progressed thru 2013. The weekly opponent match up and their choice in opening personnel grouping influences Seattle's lineup and rotation for each opponent.... that is once they figure out how their personnel fit together.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I know the "O" line was a typo but it did get me wondering what He might do on offense. I'm thinking full back lead blocker on goal line snaps.