Secret Superstar - Byron Maxwell

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm taking a wait and see approach with Maxwell. Every TD he allowed last year is burned into my memory, but so are his great plays. Fortunately, they have Jeremy Lane waiting in the wings.

Meeker

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3kqxodcs said:
I'm taking a wait and see approach with Maxwell. Every TD he allowed last year is burned into my memory, but so are his great plays. Fortunately, they have Jeremy Lane waiting in the wings.

All 2 of them? One where he was in great position and made a great play on the ball, getting his hand on it twice, but Michael Floyd just made an incredible catch?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3kewt9zh said:
Yeah seriously, you're going to hate on Maxwell for that TD by Arizona? That's insane.

Not hating at all, taking a wait and see approach with him as he begins to see more time as the full-time starter.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I theorize that Maxwell hasn't hit his ceiling, but he's close if he can maintain this level consistently and teams have tape on him.

He hasn't even started an entire year's worth of games. The playoffs and SB weren't too big for him. He could conceivably get better. If I was the Hawks, I'd wait to see how he looks in TC and preseason, and offer him a decent contract (not elite, but good) if they can afford it. Having 2 CB's like him would be a sick luxury, and since both guys are young, they could have great CB play for a good long time.

We don't really know how Simon and others will turn out, but we know BMax will be good as we've seen it.

Mick063

Reaction score
Maxwell is one of the top corners in the league. Right freakin now.

For those that must "wait and see", I got a "wait and see" for ya. Wait and see what the bidding war will be for his services. It will be an eye opener. Considering what the Patriots shelled out for a high risk Browner, Maxwell, a better pure corner than Browner, will prove to be beyond affordable for the Seahawks.

We can "wait and see" for him to play in the pro bowl with a different logo on his helmet. In other words there isn't anything to wait for. Enjoy the few games you will get to see him in a Seahawk uniform next season.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Football Outsiders gives Maxwell a less glowing review:

His overall success rate of 57.9 percent is horrible compared to other cornerbacks such as Alterraun Verner (79.8 percent), Sam Shields (68 percent) and Patrick Peterson (69.6 percent), but those players also had much more tape to show off.

His small sample of man coverage showed off inconsistency, but he proved to be a good zone cornerback on a much larger sample during that same period.

He definitely has the talent to be a high-quality starter in the Seahawks defense, but he needs to eradicate the inconsistency that spreads through different areas of his play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Maxwell had tight coverage on the guy, he just made an incredible play. Sometimes you tip your cap. That took a lot of guts for Palmer to even throw that pass against Maxwell, and it was on the money.

Wait and see? Wait and see what? He was better than Thurmond ever was, and was right there with Browner.
I'll wait and see if he gets another ring this year. Zero worry about him on the field.

253hawk

Reaction score
That game was like a typical Mariners game. Solid defense and a complete dog turd on offense. A whopping 3 points off 4 INT's, only 10 first downs, not even 200 total yards of offense and well below 50% pass completions. The lone TD the defense gave up was a near miracle on third down and should have been just a FG; putting the Cards up just 2 points with two minutes to go instead of needing a TD just to tie.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
253hawk":3ttxqeed said:
That game was like a typical Mariners game. Solid defense and a complete dog turd on offense. A whopping 3 points off 4 INT's, only 10 first downs, not even 200 total yards of offense and well below 50% pass completions. The lone TD the defense gave up was a near miracle on third down and should have been just a FG; putting the Cards up just 2 points with two minutes to go instead of needing a TD just to tie.

No joke worst offensive performance we saw ALL year.. With the ludicrous int call off Baldwin's "arm ". What annoys me is all of the "experts " now are saying Seattle's defiantly beatable at home because the cards did it once in 2 years.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Maxwell was essentially the 4th CB heading into the season. He was behind Sherman, browner, and Thurmond. The CB depth on this team was and is incredibly good. Blackman, the guy released in camp was a solid starter for Jax. That was 5 starting caliber CB's on one team in training camp. It could be argued easily that they were 5 deep with Lane. How any teams out there are trying to find one good starter, let alone 2? I have no doubts about Maxwell. With the subtractions of Browner and Thurmond, are they only at 3 deep now with Lane as the primary backup? Top 3 are good. Let's see where the depth is.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Without a doubt, BM passes my eye test.
One of the plays in the SB that stood out to me was when Denver had the ball. Second half. They were in a 3 or 4 WR package with BM playing RCB and WT3 covering Welker in the slot. Once the ball was hiked, WT3 dropped coverage on Welker to cover BM's guy on the outside leaving Welker open for an easy 1st down. As soon as that play was over you could see BM asking WT3 what gives? Byron shrugged his shoulders appearing to say "Dude, you blew your coverage on that play!"
Watching that indicated that BM knows his playbook better than WT3 and he exhibited leadership over WT3.
Maybe Walter was just stoned and zoned out on his responsibility.
I would love to resign BM. How in the hell can we make that happen?

Hawks46

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3nos9a3w said:
Football Outsiders gives Maxwell a less glowing review:

His overall success rate of 57.9 percent is horrible compared to other cornerbacks such as Alterraun Verner (79.8 percent), Sam Shields (68 percent) and Patrick Peterson (69.6 percent), but those players also had much more tape to show off.

His small sample of man coverage showed off inconsistency, but he proved to be a good zone cornerback on a much larger sample during that same period.

He definitely has the talent to be a high-quality starter in the Seahawks defense, but he needs to eradicate the inconsistency that spreads through different areas of his play.

The synopsis at the end is echoes what I was getting at in my post. Maxwell is a bit incosistent in man coverage. We all get a bit frustrated when other fans claim Richard Sherman isn't the best CB in the NFL because he has good safeties behind him, but in Maxwell's case it's entirely true. What fans of other teams and casual fans of our team don't realize is that Thomas can shade over to help Maxwell a bit more because Sherman IS so damned good.

Maxwell needs to be more consistent in man coverage. He overplayes the sidelines quite a bit, but it's not a big deal because he's started 8 freaking games. For what he's done, I'd say he's on his way to being elite, but he needs to be more consistently good to really earn that elite contract. It's why I was saying that he hasn't reached his ceiling. He makes a lot of mistakes still (understandably, he's a "seasoned rookie") but our pass rush and safety and LB help cover up for it.

I disagree with a couple of things that guy from FO said, but overall it's a pretty good analysis and he backs it up with visual evidence which makes things easy to see in slow motion.

I really like BMax and either him or Irvin are my picks to be the most improved players on the team next year.

Threedee

Reaction score
I think Maxwell has great speed, and it appears to let him keep up with receivers in instances where many other corners probably couldn't.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1fv3qwp1 said:

It makes so much sense to hate on players that in their last appearence on the field shut down the best offense in NFL history, we suck. We should rebuild and bring in players that are only first rounders and gaurenteed to be elite.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":349a5fru said:
hawknation2014":349a5fru said:

It makes so much sense to hate on players that in their last appearence on the field shut down the best offense in NFL history, we suck. We should rebuild and bring in players that are only first rounders and gaurenteed to be elite.

How do you turn "wait and see" into "hate on the players"???

I just think it's going to be a great competition between Maxwell and Lane for playing time opposite Sherman. Maxwell is in his contract year, he's done amazing things in zone coverage with help over the top from Thomas, and has had some inconsistent moments playing in man coverage. I'm looking for Maxwell to take that next step in his development as he becomes either an elite player or just a very good player.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawknation2014":11r5qwgw said:
chris98251":11r5qwgw said:
hawknation2014":11r5qwgw said:

How do you turn "wait and see" into "hate on the players"???

I just think it's going to be a great competition between Maxwell and Lane for playing time opposite Sherman. Maxwell is in his contract year, he's done amazing things in zone coverage with help over the top from Thomas, and has had some inconsistent moments playing in man coverage. I'm looking for Maxwell to take that next step in his development as he becomes either an elite player or just a very good player.

What competition? Maxwell has twice now been shown to be ahead of Lane on the depth chart, both in 2012 when Browner was suspended and 2013 when Browner/WT3 were out. Further more Maxwell also showed he was ahead of WT3 as he became the starting CB2. I don't think there is any competition for Maxwell's job. Pete will claim there is, but it's going to be Maxwell/Sherman as the starters with everyone else duking it out for Slot CB.