James Carpenter Is Going To Beast 2014

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Still lots of potential to be tapped into, finally healthy, and now playing for a new contract:

http://m.seahawks.com/s/30860/260?itemPos=3&itemUri=502402398/14151411159115011141210903106713

121004-carpenter.jpg

hawknation2014

Reaction score
imgscale

That's a skinny looking Carpenter . . . look at all that loose skin on his arms.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I said it earlier this offseason that I didn't think he would even make the final 53.

I don't know if I still 100% believe in that, but I definitely wouldn't be shocked.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
That's your opinion I guess but it will be up to Carpenter and not the opinion of fans of a player who has struggled with injuries, and consequently with weight problems and slow development because of it.

I see a guy who in his first true off-season (lock-out, rehab, rehab, now healthy) who got much needed experience and confidence starting 18 of 19 games last year and has now worked his ass off (literally) to get into great shape (a huge 315) and do the things mentally (Carroll's assessment) to progress towards his potential.

Maybe he doesn't like many want to believe but with a contract and his NFL livelihood on the line, he has all the motivation he needs to go ALL IN for this team in 2014.

And early reports look great for Carpenter and he still has a couple a months to improve...he's definitely light years ahead from where he was last year, rehabbing his knee at 350+ pounds.

What I can't fathom though is how quickly Seahawk fans give up on their own guys especially ones who have gone through injury hardships that have derailed their career. Its a little unsettling.

endzorn

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3h3gmybs said:
That's your opinion I guess but it will be up to Carpenter and not the opinion of fans of a player who has struggled with injuries, and consequently with weight problems and slow development because of it.
You might have this backwards. A point could be made that his struggles and injuries have been related to his poor conditioning and subsequent weight problems. The fact is he's been a huge disappointment, so much so that a rookie replaced him in the starting lineup of a playoff game.

I'd settle for improvement, but I seriously doubt he's going to "Beast".

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2rlnkv4r said:

I see a guy who in his first true off-season (lock-out, rehab, rehab, now healthy) who got much needed experience and confidence starting 18 of 19 games last year and has now worked his ass off (literally) to get into great shape (a huge 315) and do the things mentally (Carroll's assessment) to progress towards his potential.

Maybe he doesn't like many want to believe but with a contract and his NFL livelihood on the line, he has all the motivation he needs to go ALL IN for this team in 2014.

And early reports look great for Carpenter and he still has a couple a months to improve...he's definitely light years ahead from where he was last year, rehabbing his knee at 350+ pounds.

What I can't fathom though is how quickly Seahawk fans give up on their own guys especially ones who have gone through injury hardships that have derailed their career. Its a little unsettling.
Agreed, yet these are most likely the same fans lamenting over not resigning Chris Spencer who worthless for 4 years and thought that Unger would be a failure, entirely off his struggles as a rookie playing guard. players do improve, to make a snap judgment on a player after 1-2 years is ridiculous yet every year the same baseless judgments are made.

Cartire

Reaction score
I really hope youre right, thats all. If Carpetner turns the corner and becomes even 60% Hutchinson. I will be super happy.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident he will have a very good season. I think we will have a ton of success running left in short yardage this season. his injures really hampered his growth and his confidence and he will be a pleasant surprise this season helping our OL become much more consistent than last season.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
endzorn":1e37n4y6 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1e37n4y6 said:
You might have this backwards. A point could be made that his struggles and injuries have been related to his poor conditioning and subsequent weight problems. The fact is he's been a huge disappointment, so much so that a rookie replaced him in the starting lineup of a playoff game.

Eh, Cable said Carpenter's last 4 games of 2014 were the best of his career.

And you could think that the guy who just played and started the first full 16 game clip of his career could have been a little fatigued by the end of the season? Bowie also started over a more experienced McQuistan... maybe they thought Bowie was just the better match-up vs the Saints... who knows?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":34pmxafo said:
endzorn":34pmxafo said:
Pandion Haliaetus":34pmxafo said:

Eh, Cable said Carpenter's last 4 games of 2014 were the best of his career.

I remember Cable saying Carpenter was playing his best at the end of the season, but I don't recall him saying four games. Carpenter was actually benched in the divisional game against the Saints in favor of Michael Bowie, who I thought played really well.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1svpemxb said:

I guess you weren't on here during Shaun Alexander's last couple of years. The way some on here turned on him was eye-opening. If you had been through that, then knowing these Carpenter views are not surprising. While the Seahawk fans are great when the going is good, some will turn on a dime on a player when they are having issues with injuries, etc. Even if the player is a former MVP and one of the reasons they went to their first SB. They did that to Hasselbeck too in his final years here. Two examples of players who gave their all to the franchise and how they were treated during their down years here. As proud to be a Seahawk fan as I am, sometimes my Seahawk brethen disappoint me. It is what it is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3p64xp5m said:
I guess you weren't on here during Shaun Alexander's last couple of years. The way some on here turned on him was eye-opening. If you had been through that, then knowing these Carpenter views are not surprising. While the Seahawk fans are great when the going is good, some will turn on a dime on a player when they are having issues with injuries, etc. Even if the player is a former MVP and one of the reasons they went to their first SB. They did that to Hasselbeck too in his final years here. Two examples of players who gave their all to the franchise and how they were treated during their down years here. As proud to be a Seahawk fan as I am, sometimes my Seahawk brethen disappoint me. It is what it is.

Human nature is what it is....expect it even in Hawk fans. They can't help it!

TXHawk

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":1ywmeqix said:
I said it earlier this offseason that I didn't think he would even make the final 53.

I don't know if I still 100% believe in that, but I definitely wouldn't be shocked.

Barring injury, Carpenter is a lock to make the final 53.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I've tried to keep an optimistic view of our offensive line situation but at this particular moment in my drunken stupor I'm feeling that our offensive line will once again be our weakest position group with no other group even being remotely comparably terrible.

We probably should of focused a bit more on our o-line with both free agency and the draft...

The only moves I can remember right now are 2 draft picks. One of the guys has heart problem... So really did we only pick up one guy this entire offseason?

I'm sorry but I can't see Justin Britt single handedly saving our O-line. And I'd be surprised if James Carpenter doesn't continue to suck his whole career... Did someone really post a pic to get us psyched about him when he's wearing a knee brace? Dudes a joke in my drunken opinion.

If we fail to repeat we are likely gonna have to scratch our heads and wonder why we didn't take the proper steps to fix our atrocious O-line. That's really the only weakness we have and we didn't do ANYTHING about it this offseason.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Healthy years by Unger and Okung, development by second-year players Bailey/Bowie, and some contribution from rookies like Britt and maybe one of the free agent signees will lead to improved line play. Even one of these things occurring will make the line better than it was for much of last season. And if Carpenter really has improved, then that's just a cherry on top.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":tjrmt3mx said:
We hear all these feel good stories every off-season. I just don't see it in Carpenter.

Bat fastard iz whatee iz. Love to see him grow a heart though. So far his collegiate coach knew what he was shaking his head about when we took him 27th? in the first round.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our whole line will be improved if we are healthy for a change, given out inability to stay healthy or even close to it the whole time Pete has been here and to do what we have done is as close to parting the red sea as we can get.