What the worst move/ transaction during the Pete/John era?

seabowl

Reaction score
With all the great moves by or FO the last 4 years it's not that easy picking one that was considered the worst. I personally at the time and somewhat still now hated taking Irvin. Obviously the Carp pick is not looking not stellar either. As far as recent moves I hope letting Tate walk does not come back to haunt us. His after the catch ability (breaking tackles) and punt return abilitiy was quite impressive. Lastly, I don't remember (but think yes) if Sims was traded on their watch. He has turned in a decent career.

Wondering what everyone else thinks the worst move(s) have been since the Pete/John arrival?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Who cares about our failures?

Superbowl Champs. Just remember some of you guys been here for all 38 years waiting for that Lombardi.

Edit: Also, just to "add" something to thread the first two examples you used were STARTERS in 2013 and in the Superbowl. They contributed to a Championship season.

Out everyone you could have named you couldn't have chose Charlie Whitehurst or the trade to Tennessee where we got Lendale White + Kevin Vickerson and the Seahawks cut both with Vickerson becoming a starter for the Broncos the last couple of years.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'd have to go with the first few picks of the 2011 draft.

James Carpenter in the first
John Moffit in the third
Kris Durham in the fourth

those are some pretty big whiffs. Only one guy is still on the team and he's questionable to even start when he's not hurt.

Obviously they rebounded nicely with the Sherman/Wright/Maxwell/Smith pickups, but without Sherman becoming an all-pro face of the franchise, we would be looking back at this draft and probably shaking our heads. For all the praise we give these guys for their draft acumen, many of these picks were not good.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Charlie Dubs

Nothing was a fatal choice, but hell that guy sucked so bad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's hard to criticize particular draft picks when Pete and John's success rate dwarfs the misses.

So if I HAD to pick something, I'd go with the Whitehurst and Flynn signings. We gave up a 3rd rounder and 10M for Whitehurst and 26M/10M guaranteed for Flynn.

I get the Flynn signing, but the Whitehurst trade was about as big of a reach as you can make in this league.......especially giving up a 3rd rounder.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This thread begins and ends with Charlie Whitehurst.

The Carp pick and the Irvin pick are hardly disasters. Both those guys are contributing in meaningful ways and still have a chance to breakout. I have a suspicion that the Irvin doubters can't even articulate what they feel he's doing wrong, if anything.

A disaster draft is SF's 2012 draft where they've essentially already let go of everyone they picked except LaMichael James who they might as well ship out as well (considering the way they're drafting RBs).

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":346ihnhn said:
It's hard to criticize particular draft picks when Pete and John's success rate dwarfs the misses.

So if I HAD to pick something, I'd go with the Whitehurst and Flynn signings. We gave up a 3rd rounder and 10M for Whitehurst and 26M/10M guaranteed for Flynn.

I get the Flynn signing, but the Whitehurst trade was about as big of a reach as you can make in this league.......especially giving up a 3rd rounder.

I definately forgot to mention both Charlie (the worst move by far) and Flynn. I think both were so bad that I erased them from my memory. The move I really wished would have come to fruition was Mike Williams. Dude was a BEAST the first year with us. Unfortunately some people cannot be motivated.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I echo the CBJ trade.
However, I don't blame our FO for the trade. We were desperate for another QB as Hass was going away.
Flynn makes it to #2...blame desperation as the culprit once again.

sc85sis

Reaction score
seabowl":3oslb1kx said:
Sgt. Largent":3oslb1kx said:

I definately forgot to mention both Charlie (the worst move by far) and Flynn. I think both were so bad that I erased them from my memory.
I don't think the Flynn move was all that bad. It only looks bad in retrospect because of how well Russell worked out. If we hadn't gotten the chance to draft Russ, we'd still have needed a potential starter; at the time, Flynn looked like he might have been one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":1xr6fxga said:
seabowl":1xr6fxga said:
Sgt. Largent":1xr6fxga said:

I definately forgot to mention both Charlie (the worst move by far) and Flynn. I think both were so bad that I erased them from my memory.
I don't think the Flynn move was all that bad. It only looks bad in retrospect because of how well Russell worked out. If we hadn't gotten the chance to draft Russ, we'd still have needed a potential starter; at the time, Flynn looked like he might have been one.

I said I get the Flynn signing, we needed a QB and Flynn was worth taking a chance (without giving up draft picks).

Whitehurst was not only a reach, but we gave up a 3rd rounder when everyone said we could have gotten him easily for a much later pick........because NO ONE else was interested in him.

I'm all for taking chances, especially when it comes to the QB position. But we were literally the only front office that thought Whitehurst was anything more than a clipboard holder.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Okay, I'll entertain this even more since I'm on lunch break bored as all hell.

Carpenter, Moffitt, and Durham were some whiffs but so were EJ Wilson, Mark Legree, Chris Harper, and Jaye Howard.

Yet, what makes them less critical is the CBA and the draft is a crap-shoot.

If Carpenter was healthy, who's to say he wouldn't be a dominant LG right now?

If Moffitt was more serious and had more passion would he have lost his job to Sweezy?

If the Seahawks gave Durham more time to develop like they did Golden Tate, would he had been more successful and he kind of blossomed last year with almost 40 catches for 500 yards.

My 5:

1. Charlie Whitehurst, (lost 3rd round pick in 2011, about 20 spaces in 2nd round (2010), and $10 million...his lone highlight was beating a 6-9 Rams team to win the NFC West in '10, while that win lead to the Saints getting Beast-Quaked, the Seahawks potentially could have had their pick of JJ Watt or Robert Quinn. That would have led to no James Carpenter unless he fell to the Seahawks pick in the 2nd round and probably no Bruce Irvin the next year.

2. Matt Flynn (eh, I don't know if his signing hid the intentions of the Seahawks taking a QB but I guess his presence did net a 7th round (via TJack) and a 5th rounder. But still a tremendous waste of Cap and took valuable reps away from Russell Wilson.

3. Russell Okung (he's a good player when healthy but he's missed more games (20) than Carpenter(16) although Okung does have one more year of experience. However, Carpenter did not sign a contract worth 58 million over 6 years. Okung has NOT played 10 mil per year football. The sad thing is though Okung probably will make more in his first contract than Walter Jones did for much of his entire career. 6 years, 58 million.

4. Robert Gallery (signed for 3 years, 15 million, played in 12 games, can't remember because Russell Wilson does things that are hit or miss for the protection scheme in comparison to 2011 offense. But off memory Gallery was just as bad if not worst than any of the guard play we've had in the last few years, and didn't he make like 7 mil his first year, too. Bad signing , kind of on Cable too)

5. Not a transaction or worst move but any of the 5 players involved in PED suspensions. Just because its become a rather annoying meme. Adderrall or whatever just bad decisions that slightly tarnished the Seahawks image amongst the general fans. Bruce Irvin, Brandon Browner, Winston Guy, John Moffitt, Allen Barbre.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm in the 1/2 full group.
I say there is too much good stuff going on the last couple of years to spend ANY time looking back at the bad stuff.
Just my opinion. Don't expect many to agree.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
pmedic920":1l78dy31 said:
I say there is too much good stuff going on the last couple of years to spend ANY time looking back at the bad stuff.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's wrong to have the discussion. You have to really knit-pick when you've just won everything but i don't see anything wrong with a discussion about the misses. Things aren't as interesting when they are flawless. I mean except the superbowl. . .

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Moffit, because if you spend a 3rd rounder on a pure guard, you expect him to be a starter or a decent backup at worst. I feel the other mistakes were risks that didn't pan out, but the hawks scouting failed with moffit, a guy who never cared all that much about his football career.

Basis4day

Reaction score
When the worst transaction you can name is a 4th rd WR or DT i think you're doing pretty well.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst -- I can't agree more. By far the worst move of the Schneider/Carroll Era.

However, there was another interesting transaction that I wonder in hindsight if Schneider wouldn't love to have back. I wouldn't necessarily put this one up there as being horrible, but check this one out that I uncovered while doing some research awhile back ...

In was April 24, 2010 -- John Schneider’s first time being at the helm of the NFL Draft. On the first day of the draft, Schneider made what looked like a bold move, trading their 4th Round Draft Pick (#104) and their 6th Round Pick (#176) to the Tennessee Titans for their 4th Round Pick (#111), the Titans 6th Round Pick (#185), DT Kevin Vickerson, and RB LenDale White.

Let's check out some of the particulars of that trade ...

For Seattle ...
DT Kevin Vickerson, we hardly knew ya … he ended up being cut on September 5, 2010 soon after the cutdown to 53.

RB Lendale White -- White had lost significant weight prior to 2009, slimming down to 229, which he attributed in part to a tequila free diet. Shortly after the trade was made, word leaked out that White had failed a drug test and was facing a possible 4 game suspension. White was released a mere 12 days after the deal was made.

4th Round Pick (#111) -- CB Walter Thurmond, U of Oregon -- provided Seattle with a solid CB when he was actually on the field and not either injured or rolling doobies.

6th Round Pick (#185) -- TE Anthony McCoy, USC -- again, solid on the field prior to be sidelined by that Achilles Tear this season. We'll see what the future holds for him ...

For Tennessee …

6th Round Pick (#176) -- QB Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic -- obviously never amounted to anything.

What about that 4th Round pick that the Titans obtained from the Seahawks?

With the 6th Pick in the 4th Round (#104), the Tennessee Titans selected … [Wait for It] … CB Alterraun Verner, UCLA.

So, I just kinda wonder to myself what would the Seahawks have been like if they had had Richard Sherman and Alterraun Verner in the same backfield? If Schneider had had that pick back, would Verner have been the guy there at #104 rather than Thurmond several picks later?

Obviously, we're really mining for scattered nuggets of slag coal here (really picking for nits here to find truly bad moves), but that one is one that really makes me wonder.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Definitely nothing wrong with criticizing what has gone wrong; certainly you would think and expect that Pete and John do so to themselves, and don't feel that they should be immune.

Thankfully you have to nitpick pretty hard, since we've pretty obviously fallen within the acceptable error rate by a personnel team. I'd be shocked if another franchise out there had fewer missteps during the past four years than PCJS.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawknballs":25r4pxby said:
pmedic920":25r4pxby said:

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's wrong to have the discussion. You have to really knit-pick when you've just won everything but i don't see anything wrong with a discussion about the misses. Things aren't as interesting when they are flawless. I mean except the superbowl. . .

You're right. Just don't loose sight of the fact, that what's done is done, and nothing that happened yesterday can be changed, it is what it is, and we are moving past whatever it was.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I don't really think the Whitehurst trade was that bad. They recognized a need for QB and they took gambles for them until one hit. I think that's generally the correct approach, even if that one was a swing and a miss.

If you agree to go on three blind dates, the first two are ugly and/or annoying, and the third one is Scarlett Johansson (and you get to keep her for the long haul), you don't feel bad that you had to go through the first two. Instead you're glad that you put yourself out there and kept trying.