NFL awards Seattle a franchise expansion June 4th 1974

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Seattle Professional Football Inc., a group of Seattle business and community leaders started by Herman Sarkowsky and Ned Skinner, announced its intention to acquire an NFL franchise for Seattle on June 15, 1972, on June 4, 1974, the NFL awarded the group an expansion franchise!!!

Today marks a HUGE EVENT!!!

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It was a birth of EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!

I saw a soft vague thread like this... c'mon mods... this is HISTORIC.. please leave this at the OFFICIAL :th2thumbs:

pmedic920

Reaction score
I could not have told you the date but I have a vivid memory of being so happy when I heard the news.
My mother and I did a little happy dance.
I pledged my allegiance to Seattle's team, the day I heard it.

Mick063

Reaction score
As part of the NFL showing interest in an expansion franchise in Seattle, they held a preseason game at Husky Stadium. My dad took me to it.

It was the Pittsburgh Steelers against the New York Jets.

That's right....I saw Joe Namath against Terry Bradshaw in Husky Stadium.

The Steelers demolished them by 30 points. Bradshaw was on fire. I believe it was Franco Harris' rookie season.

First NFL game I ever went to.

Read the full story on how pro football came to Seattle. An interesting read. Below is a blurb mentioning the game I went to.

http://sportspressnw.com/2115338/2011/w ... ttle-kings

The Kings met constantly with officials from other NFL teams, and chummed the waters further by announcing in May, 1972, that the Kings would sponsor another exhibition to — once again — dramatize Seattle’s passion for the NFL.

The game would feature the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers. Field and McElhenny chose the Jets and Steelers carefully in order to maximize the box office: The Jets employed one of the league’s top stars, Joe Namath, while the Steelers, with quarterback Terry Bradshaw, were a rising power. The Kings set the game for Saturday, Aug. 12, 1972, at Husky Stadium.

Ticket to the Jets-Steelers game at Husky Stadium on Aug. 12, 1972 / David Eskenazi Collection

By now two conclusions seemed foregone: Seattle would be awarded a franchise, the only question being when, and the Kings, given Field’s promotional work and McElhenny’s profile, would be the owners — the only question being how much they would have to fork to the NFL for the privilege.

But a month later, in June of 1972, Field and McElhenny received a seismic jolt when a rival ownership group suddenly materialized. “Seattle Professional Football” included David Skinner, president of the Skinner Corp., and one of the original owners of the Space Needle; Howard S. Wright, a Seattle contractor and a majordomo in the Seattle World’s Fair; Herman Sarkowsky, a Seattle contractor who also owned the Portland Trail Blazers; Lamont Bean, president of Pay ‘n Save; Lynn Himmelman, chairman of the board of Western International Hotels and a trustee of the Seattle Art Museum; and Morris Alhadeff, president of the Washington Jockey Club (Longacres). Former Sonics GM Dick Vertlieb had been conscripted to serve in an advisory capacity.

Even McElhenny conceded that you would need to search dilligently to find a more representative cross section of the Seattle establishment than the men who made up Seattle Professional Football. The group was heavy with business success, family ties, civic achievement and personal prestige. Money? No problem.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
pmedic920":29ha29ku said:
I could not have told you the date but I have a vivid memory of being so happy when I heard the news.
I tell people I have been a Seahawks fan since before they were a team. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

pmedic920

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3h2da2ie said:
pmedic920":3h2da2ie said:
I tell people I have been a Seahawks fan since before they were a team. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Yep. There are plenty of us floating around.
I didn't really care what they got named or what the uniforms looked like, I was just happy to have a team coming to my state.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
They probably didn't realize at the time that my only son would be born 25 years later to the day.
No wonder he such a huge Seahawk fan!

Happy Birthday Sol!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
tom sawyer":15fjoxl1 said:
Seattle Professional Football Inc., a group of Seattle business and community leaders started by Herman Sarkowsky and Ned Skinner, announced its intention to acquire an NFL franchise for Seattle on June 15, 1972, on June 4, 1974, the NFL awarded the group an expansion franchise!!!

Today marks a HUGE EVENT!!!
I remember that day and I was only 5 and a half. I remember my father being really excited and my mom more like meh....
A great day in Seattle sports history.

Rainger

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1jshv7et said:
pmedic920":1jshv7et said:
Yup I was there too. Started watching football in 1962, Was a huge Raiders fan in the 60s. (don't hold it against me but closest team to Seattle and I was an AFL fan over the NFL).

In the early 70's I was hoping so much for the NFL to expand into Seattle. Hated it when they put us in the same division as the Raiders but, Seattle had to come first. Yes I have been a Seahawk fan longer than there has been an actual team with players as well. But I know I am not unique, many of the "old timers" are the same.

PS: Even though I show living in Victoria BC. I lived in Seattle from 1960 until 1971. Did most of my schooling and of course was a teenager in the crazy 60s there.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I grew up in eastern Washington and kind of followed whatever team was big at the time....the Packers during the Vince Lombardi era and the Dolphins in the early '70s mainly. Once Seattle got its franchise, though, I became a Seahawks fan and never looked back. I still remember reading in the paper about the team's first signing, some guy I never heard of named Jim Zorn. There have been a lot of lean times over the years but I'm glad I stuck it out because it makes their current success all the sweeter!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2qibg7rf said:
pmedic920":2qibg7rf said:

"O Happy Day!" The day we thought it couldn't come soon enough! We began to visualize in 1972 a stadium soon to be built. Someone needs to put up that picture of all the politicians with shovels in hand at the ground breaking ceremony of the Kingdome.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
After reading the article I find it ironic that one of the original owners also owned the Portland Trailblazers.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
"sinceday1" which was obviously 6/4/74. I was just finishing my junior year in high school. I remember the announcement and being so very happy "we" (Washington state.....I grew up in Spokane) were getting our own team. I've had eyes for no other team since.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":214866pw said:
"sinceday1" which was obviously 6/4/74. I was just finishing my junior year in high school. I remember the announcement and being so very happy "we" (Washington state.....I grew up in Spokane) were getting our own team. I've had eyes for no other team since.

I was 7 and watching the Raiders, Steelers (family's team) and even the Niners. But 2 years later, 30 seconds of coverage before the first game against the Cards I became a fan.

halfrack

Reaction score
I remember thinking the team name would be the Kings. My dad worked for the city of Seattle as an inspector. He took me to the work site one Saturday. He was inspecting a worksite close to where they were building the Kingdome. I remember thinking how huge it looked. Go Kings!