Will Wilson Copy Kaep's Contract Model?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Now that Kaepernick's contract details are coming out, it looks to be a VERY 49'er friendly deal with stair-step guarantees, per-game rosters and de-escalators.

Guaranteed Money Comparison:
A.Rodgers: $54M
J.Flacco: $51M
M.Ryan: $42M
D.Brees/T.Romo: $40M
C.Kaepernick ~ $13M

Do you guys think Russell and his agent follow this sort of model that doesn't cripple the team and puts the owness on Russell to keep performing to max out the contract? Or do you think Russell goes for more of the Rodgers deal with way more guaranteed money?

Sherminator

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oxtp9wq said:
Now that Kaepernick's contract details are coming out, it looks to be a VERY 49'er friendly deal with stair-step guarantees, per-game rosters and de-escalators.

C.Kaepernick ~ $13M

Do you guys think Russell and his agent follow this sort of model that doesn't cripple the team and puts the owness on Russell to keep performing to max out the contract? Or do you think Russell goes for more of the Rodgers deal with way more guaranteed money?

No.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2014/02/2 ... d-manziel/

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think the more suited question is, "Will the Seahawks copy the 49er's model for Wilson?" Kaep didn't dictate the model, the 49ers did.

In my opinion the answer is NO. I think they'll give him more around the traditional model. Higher guarantees- less opt out options, less APY annually.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":35lfcbtq said:
I think the more suited question is, "Will the Seahawks copy the 49er's model for Wilson?" Kaep didn't dictate the model, the 49ers did.

In my opinion the answer is NO. I think they'll give him more around the traditional model. Higher guarantees- less opt out options, less APY annually.

Kaep had a ton of leverage, so I don't think it's fair to say that the Niners held all the cards. Do you really think they wanted to go into 2014 with Colt McCoy as their starting QB?

Like Wilson, Kaep is supremely confident in his ability. So this sort of contract doesn't surprise me, nor would it surprise me to see Wilson do something similar.

Remember, Rodgers is 30 years old, he had to get all he could, so that's why his contract is so guarantee loaded. Guys like Kaep and Wilson will get another deal in their early 30's, so they don't have to go for the throat this time around.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1saj6aph said:
lukerguy":1saj6aph said:

Kaep had a ton of leverage, so I don't think it's fair to say that the Niners held all the cards. Do you really think they wanted to go into 2014 with Colt McCoy as their starting QB?

Like Wilson, Kaep is supremely confident in his ability. So this sort of contract doesn't surprise me, nor would it surprise me to see Wilson do something similar.

Remember, Rodgers is 30 years old, he had to get all he could, so that's why his contract is so guarantee loaded. Guys like Kaep and Wilson will get another deal in their early 30's, so they don't have to go for the throat this time around.

It would actually be Blaine Gabbert, Colt is gone.
Wilson is going to get somewhere between 20-24 million per year. SB winning QB that also serves as a dual threat?
You have to remember as well that he isn't going to take anything less than Kaep's deal.
The difference between Kaep and Wilson, that a lot of people are overlooking is that Kaep's deal reflects that he still has something left to prove. It isn't a traditional contract per say, it's more of an investment.

Wilson already won the big game, he is going to get a contract more along those lines.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 6 years with 70 mil g
Probably something with an incentive plan to get up to a max value of 135 mil

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sherminator":ijnb602s said:
Wilson is going to get somewhere between 20-24 million per year. SB winning QB that also serves as a dual threat?
You have to remember as well that he isn't going to take anything less than Kaep's deal

I certainly don't think he'd take less than Kaep's deal..........but 20-24M scares the hell out of me, even if it is backloaded.

Coxal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":m4mq3083 said:

C.Kaepernick ~ $13M

I read $61M guaanteed for Kaep, am I wrong?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Coxal":2eawj6rz said:
Sgt. Largent":2eawj6rz said:

C.Kaepernick ~ $13M

I read $61M guaanteed for Kaep, am I wrong?

He only has $13M in true guarantees (skill + injury). The rest is guaranteed for injury-only... meaning if he gets hurt, they can't cut him until the guarantees are paid. However, if he stays healthy, the 49ers have the option each year (by April 1) of moving on and essentially terminating the remainder of the contract.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":205tlh1x said:
lukerguy":205tlh1x said:
There have been plenty of successful young QBs, like Manning, Brady and Brees, and none of them have had a contract like this, where they can be cut after any year. I'm surprised this didn't surprise you, because there's been no precedent for this kind of contract.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To answer OP's question, Wilson has far more leverage than Kap, and this organization certainly has more faith in him than San Francisco apparently has in Kaepernick.

Wilson and Schneider will work out a deal that serves the best interests of both parties. Will it look like Kaepernick's? I would say no, and it shouldn't.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
No. Coming off his second straight super bowl win and an MVP caliber season after just 3 years in the league, Wilson will be in a position to get the biggest contract ever for a QB. The Seahawks won't have the same opt-out ability that the 49ers have with Kaep either.

But if it plays out this way...I won't even care.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3w26eus4 said:
No. Coming off his second straight super bowl win and an MVP caliber season after just 3 years in the league, Wilson will be in a position to get the biggest contract ever for a QB. The Seahawks won't have the same opt-out ability that the 49ers have with Kaep either.

You're probably right, but the Pollyanna fan in me hopes that Russell continues to change the league norms by doing something more innovative with his contract that doesn't cripple us for remaining as competitive as we are now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chawx":27lumazs said:
"Mike Rob Instagram: Super Bowl Champ @dangerusswilson is do for a huge pay raise! But is the game about winning championships or having the biggest contract? Beware Russell could be a different!?!?" http://instagram.com/p/o3hPzUlKPg/

Sounds like MRob thinks Russ will take less to win more games...
That's cuz he will. Dude's about winning first and foremost. IMO he'll still be over 20 per average, but keep in mind the cap is going to climb too meaning the hit to the team will actually be less.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lukerguy":ndm77rn0 said:

Agreed the SF did this because they still have question on Kap. We have none on Wilson, so no need to be silly.

brettb3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2is2scaa said:
Missing_Clink":2is2scaa said:

You're probably right, but the Pollyanna fan in me hopes that Russell continues to change the league norms by doing something more innovative with his contract that doesn't cripple us for remaining as competitive as we are now.
I'm not sure why this is a concern. Schneider has prepared for this. Even if we give Wilson the largest guarantee in NFL history, it won't cripple us. Paying an elite young QB who's already won a Super Bowl is a good thing.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brettb3":118askzj said:
Sgt. Largent":118askzj said:
Missing_Clink":118askzj said:

I'm not sure why this is a concern. Schneider has prepared for this. Even if we give Wilson the largest guarantee in NFL history, it won't cripple us. Paying an elite young QB who's already won a Super Bowl is a good thing.

The main reason JS and PC put together one of the greatest rosters of all time last year is due to two things:

1. Amazing ability to evaluate and coach talent
2. Pay the stars far less than the rest of the league pays their stars

Conversely the reason teams like the Broncos, Pats, Packers, Cowboys, etc are super thin in depth and suffer crushing blows when key players go down is because they're paying their QB's a HUGE portion of their salary cap space.

If we pay Russell 20M+ a year, then we no longer have a leg up on our competition with the ability to sign multiple free agents each off season. Can we still compete? Of course, but paying Russell 20M+ will make it far more difficult.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seattle has never paid its stars far less than the rest of the league unless you're talking guys on their rookie deals. Red, Clem, Rice, Miller, etc. were all paid market value. Everyone they've ever offered a second contract to received a fair deal.

Who exactly are you worried about losing? They've already extended Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett and Doug Baldwin. The LBs are largely fungible, but they probably have enough room to re-sign one of them as well. Or we could give that money to Cliff Avril. This is all while saving enough room for Russell Wilson. Replenish depth everywhere else with good drafts. I see no reason for concern. The core is locked up. Russell is merely the last piece.

If you're worried about 2018 and beyond... well, that's sort of pointless. NFL teams change too much during that span of time to even think about cap ramifications that far out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I find it pretty hard to believe he would. Kaep has a lot to prove still, and this offseason didn't help matters. Wilson meanwhile has a ring, has been playing on a 3rd round salary for two years and about to be a third.. so by nature he was already

- More successful than Kaep (Head-to-head, Super Bowl)
- Making less than Kaep
- Better off the field image than Kaep
- Seemingly a better all around QB than Kaep (though thats more opinion than fact)

Also worth mentioning, if the Seahawks go out and win another Super Bowl this year, that just adds more money to that contract.

So I think the contract will mirror Joe Flacco's more than Kaep.