Rotoworld on Michael

Ozzy

Reaction score
Texas A&M's strength coach, who has trained both Christine Michael and Adrian Peterson, said Michael's athletic explosiveness is on par with Peterson's.
The "hype" around Michael is not some fabrication of the imagination. His tape is drool-worthy, and the Seahawks coaches themselves are talking up getting the second-year back chances at the expense of Marshawn Lynch. Former NFL personnel man Louis Riddick tweeted Monday that when Michael "gets his chance regular season '14, provided he's healthy, he'll show he's the most gifted RB drafted in past 5 yrs."

Just thought I would share some positive Seahawks "news".

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/846 ... ne-michael

plyka

Reaction score
I believe it! Unfortunately the problem with Christine has always been health. He isn't in all days level but even if he was, he has to prove he can carry the load like lynch all year. There is no point in having Michael Jordan on your team if all he does is sit on the bench due to injury.

BBQHawk

Reaction score
plyka":2a8lazmq said:
I believe it! Unfortunately the problem with Christine has always been health. He isn't in all days level but even if he was, he has to prove he can carry the load like lynch all year. There is no point in having Michael Jordan on your team if all he does is sit on the bench due to injury.

Health, when has health been his issue. I thought it was pass blocking liability?

Sac

Reaction score
Michael has been dinged up a lot in his college career. Also had a one injury. Personally, I think his "red shirt" rookie year was probably really good for his health.

Largent80

Reaction score
It just provides more headaches for the 9er's and the rest of the league.....You have got to be loving this.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Health issues?

Since when?

Michael's problems have been: pass blocking, scheme knowledge, and ball security. In his redshirt season he's learned a lot of what he is required to do and now gets his responsibilities pass blocking, high and tight ball security, while understanding how to run effectively in zone read scheme. The dividends that the team will recover from his learning time will be significant.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Had he proven to be able to carry the load and not be injured in college(broken leg, ACL etc) he would've been thought of even much more highly. Seahawks took him high and this could be the year to see the dividends.

kearly

Reaction score
There were rumors about Michael being a "me first" guy who didn't along with coaches, and that kind of stuff tends to get blown way out of proportion by GMs during draft season. He also had those leg injuries. Without those nits to pick Michael probably would have been the first RB drafted in 2013, and he wouldn't be a Seahawk right now.

I think Michael is going to be a stud, but I hope fans are patient with his "boom or bust" tendencies. He'll struggle to get 2 yards a carry, then he'll rip off a 40 yarder to save his average. Shaun Alexander put up big production with inconsistent rushing play to play, and that frustrated some fans.

Michael is a big back but I think his play style is more in the mold of LeSean McCoy. Super athletic, quick, dangerous, kinda tough... but not the beast that Marshawn Lynch is. In time, Michael will get us more yards than Lynch ever did, but he won't impact defenses in quite the same way.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think his impact can be as significant as Lynch's though and maybe that is what you meant as well. Our offense is evolving. Richardson, Harvin, Michael, Willson etc. I think Pete has a vision for the offense and its getting close.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All this OTA attention on Micheal just confirms what most of us suspected, that the Hawks have no intention of keeping Lynch past 2014.

Even if he has an AMAZING year, I can't see us fitting another 2-3 year deal with a huge signing bonus for 10M a year to keep Lynch. Nor do I see Lynch and his agent agreeing to half as much money to stay.

Lynch will get most of the carries, but this staff has no choice, they HAVE to see what Michael can do before Lynch leaves.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Just saw this on Twitter:

From a former NFL scout ---

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 5h
When Christine Michael gets his chance regular season '14, provided he's healthy, he'll show he's the most gifted RB drafted in past 5 yrs.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":2c933ev1 said:
There were rumors about Michael being a "me first" guy who didn't along with coaches, and that kind of stuff tends to get blown way out of proportion by GMs during draft season. He also had those leg injuries. Without those nits to pick Michael probably would have been the first RB drafted in 2013, and he wouldn't be a Seahawk right now.

I think Michael is going to be a stud, but I hope fans are patient with his "boom or bust" tendencies. He'll struggle to get 2 yards a carry, then he'll rip off a 40 yarder to save his average. Shaun Alexander put up big production with inconsistent rushing play to play, and that frustrated some fans.

Michael is a big back but I think his play style is more in the mold of LeSean McCoy. Super athletic, quick, dangerous, kinda tough... but not the beast that Marshawn Lynch is. In time, Michael will get us more yards than Lynch ever did, but he won't impact defenses in quite the same way.
That's why I'm surprised we took him. Pete wants to pound down the defense so they're tired in the 4th, when games are won. Pound them down, keep the defense fresh and win. A "hit or miss" type of back is a drive killer. Sure, he makes the flashy play, but if the offense can't sustain drives because he can't pick up the tough yards, the defense gets worn out and the opposing defense doesn't. It's the way Lynch impacts the opposing defense that I thought was what Pete had in mind at the RB position.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Michael is getting downgraded as a "hit or miss" back a little too harshly. He runs a little more north/south than that. He's not Barry Sanders back there. He will do just fine.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Yeah, he'll run hard between the tackles. He's no Lynch, but then who is?

C-Mike just needs to stay healthy. A running back that you can count on every week is invaluable. Can't wait to see what this guy does.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Those short yardage problems will be ok..Thats why we have Harvin for quick slants/outs and end arounds so you cannot stack up like they had been..

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xti72e8 said:
All this OTA attention on Micheal just confirms what most of us suspected, that the Hawks have no intention of keeping Lynch past 2014.

Even if he has an AMAZING year, I can't see us fitting another 2-3 year deal with a huge signing bonus for 10M a year to keep Lynch. Nor do I see Lynch and his agent agreeing to half as much money to stay.

Lynch will get most of the carries, but this staff has no choice, they HAVE to see what Michael can do before Lynch leaves.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it would be far, far easier to keep Lynch than you think. The RB market is horrible right now. Nobody is paying top dollar for RBs. IE, he won't have huge offers from other teams. Its just life as a RB in the NFL right now.

There had never been a first round of the draft without a RB selected.

Now we've had 2 in a row.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I see a restructure for Lynch next off season of 3 years 12 million or something along those lines

brettb3

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1wdlxvv3 said:
kearly":1wdlxvv3 said:

That's why I'm surprised we took him. Pete wants to pound down the defense so they're tired in the 4th, when games are won. Pound them down, keep the defense fresh and win. A "hit or miss" type of back is a drive killer. Sure, he makes the flashy play, but if the offense can't sustain drives because he can't pick up the tough yards, the defense gets worn out and the opposing defense doesn't. It's the way Lynch impacts the opposing defense that I thought was what Pete had in mind at the RB position.
We don't even have close to enough of a sample size to conclude what style of back he'll be. Even if he's not the "beast" Lynch is (no one is), doesn't mean he won't be capable of gaining the tough yards.