Seahawks chatting with former Bears MVP Dent for tutoring

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
They haven’t been able to coordinate schedules yet, but Carroll and Dent, tied for No. 8 on the NFL’s all-time sack list with 137.5, have talked about having Dent in to work with Carroll’s defensive linemen as a pass-rush consultant. “It’s been hard to find times that work for both of us but I would like very much to work with Pete and what they’re doing,” Dent told CSNChicago.com on Saturday at the annual Bears Care Gala.

[MORE: Paea: We're going to run through O-Lines that come into our stadium]

It all began the Sunday morning before the Dec. 22 Bears-Philadelphia Eagles game, with Dent appearing on NFL Network’s early pre-game programming. Not long after the broadcast, Dent got a phone call.

On the line was Carroll, whose Seahawks had a late game that Sunday at home against the Arizona Cardinals. But Carroll, who had a defense already among the NFL’s elite, particularly against the pass, wanted to talk pass-rush specifics.

They were on the phone for nearly an hour-and-a-half, Dent on the East Coast around 9 a.m., Carroll on Seattle time. At the end of the talk, it was Dent who may have been the more impressed.

“That really tickled me to death,” Dent said. “It was an honor. We were talking about alignments, different things, situations, and at the end he said, ‘I think we should see about getting something done.’

“I told Coach, ‘I got you winning [the Super Bowl] a blowout.’ And he started laughing. But I did text that out anyway way before the game.

“The fact that I was only on the network right then, and you don’t know who’s watching, and that’s real early in the morning for Seattle. So hey, he had to be up at 5, 6 in the morning to be seeing this. And I’m thinking, ‘This is a guy who really loves what he does.’

“He’s got one more game, he’s doing great, and he’s still trying to get better. That says a lot about the guy, and a guy like that is someone you want to work for, you want to be a corner with.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/seahawk ... t-tutoring

drdiags

Reaction score
Was going to mention this in Hawk Wow's thread. Travis Jones's ears should perk up. Wonder if this is for Irvin in particular? Or just wanting to get Dent's insights in general?

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 1h
Also, relatedly, Carroll has had the biggest coaching staff in the NFL (tied with PHI) two years running. Specialization, detail oriented

He'll bring in people that are the most successful at whatever it is they do - try and glean as much from their experiences as he can

Dent: “If you think you’re the smartest guy in the room, that’s where you fail. You can’t get everything you need from 1 place or 1 person"

Dent's says: "he had to be up at 5, 6 in the morning to be seeing [my show]. I’m thinking, ‘This is a guy who really loves what he does.’

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love the sound of this. Dent was an absolute monster.

HawkWow

Reaction score
nanomoz":3jznv9i1 said:
I love the sound of this. Dent was an absolute monster.

Absolutely. The best of both Bennett and Avril and class personified. I wish I had a dollar for every time, over the past 30+ years, I wished we had a Richard Dent on this team.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Here is another article on it.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/latest-news/2 ... g-role-nfl

This is a nice quote from this article, Pete is thinking about Re-Pete'ing..

In addition to consulting with fellow coaches and GMs, they try to expose their players to the 'greats' from all aspects of life by bringing them in for visits

As Joseph Muldoon pointed out on twitter, do not be surprised if the litany of special guests to Seahawks headquarters this year includes people that have repeated as champions in their respective areas.

BASF

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":29tqgw1u said:
On the line was Carroll, whose Seahawks had a late game that Sunday at home against the Arizona Cardinals. But Carroll, who had a defense already among the NFL’s elite, particularly against the pass, wanted to talk pass-rush specifics.

They were on the phone for nearly an hour-and-a-half, Dent on the East Coast around 9 a.m., Carroll on Seattle time

I find it encouraging that no one has posted this hour and a half spent with Dent and not on the game as the reason we lost to Arizona.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2j7p7hea said:
Carroll and Dent, tied for No. 8 on the NFL’s all-time sack list with 137.5, have talked about having Dent in to work with Carroll’s defensive linemen as a pass-rush consultant.

I had no idea that Pete Carroll had that many sacks as an NFL player. Pretty impressive for a guy who never played in the NFL.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Our Man in Chicago":uar1d9hl said:
KitsapGuy":uar1d9hl said:
Carroll and Dent, tied for No. 8 on the NFL’s all-time sack list with 137.5, have talked about having Dent in to work with Carroll’s defensive linemen as a pass-rush consultant.

I had no idea that Pete Carroll had that many sacks as an NFL player. Pretty impressive for a guy who never played in the NFL.

A dangling modifier strikes again!