Couple standouts during today's OTAs

hawknation2014

Reaction score
tempRM2_2242-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Offense: Rookie receiver Kevin Norwood had two touchdown catches during red-zone drills, slid to catch a bad pass from Terrelle Pryor, caught a ball up the seam from Russell Wilson and came down with a Hail Mary that was a group jump ball with Richard Sherman right behind him. He's run some with the first team. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell: “I think one of the things I liked the best about him coming out was his contested catches. If you were standing out here today, you saw that a couple times. He’s doing a really nice job.”

Defense: Second-year LB Korey Toomer. Pete Carroll: “He probably has been the brightest guy in the whole camp. His speed is really obvious. He’s no longer a rook … not understanding. He’s worked hard in the offseason. He practices just like the guys who are playing all the time and he looks like he can compete with all the guys. I noticed today the special teams guys were fired up to give him a shot to be on the first kickoff team. If we kicked off today, he would be on that first kickoff team. That’s a lot of ground he’s made up. He doesn’t seem like a rookie anymore. He seems like a redshirt junior right now.” Toomer spent the last two seasons on injured reserve. Today he had what would have been sack in a game.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... more-25691#storylink=cpy

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 143b429d24

Seattle pi listed Christine Michael and Korey Toomer as their standouts from today:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014 ... 24140101=0

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to see Toomer get some reps! Hope he stays healthy. :pray:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":rmw4v5d0 said:

Yeah, I 'm really pulling for Toomer. Good chance he will NNNNNOT be Deshon Miles Part II because Cortez summoned a divine blessing for our team at his induction ceremony :th2thumbs:

A

Anonymous

HawKnPeppa":1auqdrj7 said:
sutz":1auqdrj7 said:

Yeah, I 'm really pulling for Toomer. Good chance he will NNNNNOT be Deshon Miles Part II because Cortez summoned a divine blessing for our team at his induction ceremony :th2thumbs:

A divine blessing, indeed...

McGruff

Reaction score
One thing I notice with Seahawks.com is that Quinn and Bevell are taking a more and more prominent role with the media. They are being groomed big time for head coaching gigs next year, so I fully expect this is the last season we see either of those guys on the sideline.

Uthawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":as7xdl70 said:
If Toomer makes the roster, who's spot does he take? Farwell?

He was mentioned as a starter on special teams if they made the roster today. I could see that happening.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm okay with losing Bevell but Quinn is a freaking genius.

warden

Reaction score
If we go to the Superbowl again in 2014, it becomes difficult for teams to sign our coordinators. Our guys will become available so late, that most of the good choices to fill their coaching staffs will be gone.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Uthawk":3al1xc3y said:
EverydayImRusselin":3al1xc3y said:
If Toomer makes the roster, who's spot does he take? Farwell?

He was mentioned as a starter on special teams if they made the roster today. I could see that happening.

Yeah, you have to look at upside and cost. Toomer has the potential to be special and is on the cheap. Farwell is well-rounded but average and you'd save maybe a million by cutting him.

Then you look at roster progression if you allow Smith and Wright to leave via free agency, you're going to need available depth with experience and they need reps to get that. Guys like Toomer, Pierre-Louis,Taylor,Croyle and even Mike Morgan... they need reps and all have the attributes to be quality special teamers within the system.

I say look for Jeron Johnson to step-up into Farwell's role as ST Captain.

JonRud

Reaction score
warden":p6f8vqbo said:
If we go to the Superbowl again in 2014, it becomes difficult for teams to sign our coordinators. Our guys will become available so late, that most of the good choices to fill their coaching staffs will be gone.

The NFL needs to address this. It really doesn't make sense that the coordinators on the best teams have a much harder time to get a job because they need to wait until after the Super Bowl. they should probably just make a rule that no new coach can be signed until the Super Bowl is over and make it fair for everyone.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JonRud":3avwk7k0 said:
warden":3avwk7k0 said:
The NFL needs to address this. It really doesn't make sense that the coordinators on the best teams have a much harder time to get a job because they need to wait until after the Super Bowl. they should probably just make a rule that no new coach can be signed until the Super Bowl is over and make it fair for everyone.
Oh come on. That is one of those problems that really solves itself, and any attempt to "solve" it just makes things a lot worse.

Going to the Super Bowl made it problematic for another team to hire our coordinators, that is true. It is true of every Super Bowl team every year. But what's the worst case scenario here? The coordinators are stuck on a Super Bowl winning team for another year, oh dammit. Of course, it will be really screwed up if we win three consecutive Super Bowls, imagine the heartbreak our coordinators will be feeling.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Not to mention if they did win three in a row, they'd end up being the most sought after coordinators the first year they failed to make it.