Questionable Call in NFC Title Game?

seahawksny

Reaction score
I watched for first time since they played last night.

My goodness was that a brutal first half. I was worried beyond belief, and even when I knew result, it was tough to watch.

Also one call I didnt understand.....I believe it was the 2nd qtr. A SF receiver caught a short pass, and then fumbled, Thurmond picked it up and ran into end zone. The play was ruled dead because the receiver achieved forward progress and therefore there was no fumble. Thats how i understood it.

However, Doesnt the whistle rule play dead? Im pretty sure there was not a whistle before the fumble.

Pete didnt challenge it, so its a rule that I dont understand. Anyone shed some light?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Kam hit him? I didn't understand either. I thought it was a fumble. Ruled no catch?

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":34uo3nqm said:
Kam hit him? I didn't understand either. I thought it was a fumble. Ruled no catch?

Was ruled a catch. Thats why i didnt understand. If ruled incomplete, then there is nothing to talk about. Was ruled a catch. Thats why im puzzled, and i think Kam got em yes

McGruff

Reaction score
I don't remember the play, but based on your description I would guess that they ruled that forward progress was stopped and therefor the play was dead prior to the fumble?

Still doesn't make much sense.

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
McGruff":1ujpb7cw said:
I don't remember the play, but based on your description I would guess that they ruled that forward progress was stopped and therefor the play was dead prior to the fumble?

Still doesn't make much sense.

Exactly, if there was a whistle, then it would make sense. I dont think there was a whistle cause Troy Aikman said it was a good call. If whistle was blown, then that comment is unnecessary

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
There were a lot of things in that game that also went in SFO/SC 49ers favor... Kaepernick was allowed to kick the ball to his linemen.

Yet, Niner nation cry babies want to whine about how Margagos did everything he could to stop most of his momentum into the ground, how he was bounced up by physics, and disregard that the Punter simultaneously stepped into him. I could see the sentiment of complaining about it but I can also see why the Refs called it what it was because it wasn't egregious at all...and that's what I want to see in the future, Refs calling BS on Flopping.

Its stupid when a 190 pound WR can run full speed into a half speed Kam Chanchellor, sell a destructive hit by flopping, and get rewarded a 15 yard penalty.

Then the great one Niners complain that Bowman was robbed of his FF strip and use it as an example as refs were out to get them. But the league year was filled with prime examples of players being ruled "down by contact or down by forward progress" which nullifies the fumble and results in an unchallengable play... Seahawks had this happen in San Fran where Crabtree is fighting for yards and Michael Bennett knocks the ball out, Pete challenged but the refs wouldn't allow it. Then SFO totally disregard that because of a bad exchange they got the ball back the next play at the 15 instead of the 2.

And then cmon, Jeremy Lane anyone? What a bunch of BS that was and their wasn't enough evidence for a fine my ass.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
overall it balanced out. and the whiners had their chance to win the game and Kaep blew it with a bonehead decision to test Sherman, after committing two other turnovers in critical times in the game.

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3lhtwcay said:
There were a lot of things in that game that also went in SFO/SC 49ers favor... Kaepernick was allowed to kick the ball to his linemen.

Yet, Niner nation cry babies want to whine about how Margagos did everything he could to stop most of his momentum into the ground, how he was bounced up by physics, and disregard that the Punter simultaneously stepped into him. I could see the sentiment of complaining about it but I can also see why the Refs called it what it was because it wasn't egregious at all...and that's what I want to see in the future, Refs calling BS on Flopping.

Its stupid when a 190 pound WR can run full speed into a half speed Kam Chanchellor, sell a destructive hit by flopping, and get rewarded a 15 yard penalty.

Then the great one Niners complain that Bowman was robbed of his FF strip and use it as an example as refs were out to get them. But the league year was filled with prime examples of players being ruled "down by contact or down by forward progress" which nullifies the fumble and results in an unchallengable play... Seahawks had this happen in San Fran where Crabtree is fighting for yards and Michael Bennett knocks the ball out, Pete challenged but the refs wouldn't allow it. Then SFO totally disregard that because of a bad exchange they got the ball back the next play at the 15 instead of the 2.

And then cmon, Jeremy Lane anyone? What a bunch of BS that was and their wasn't enough evidence for a fine my ass.

The Jeremy Lane no call was the most blatant.

whenever whiner fans complain i throw this on them which i think is undisputable..... That is.......... Every game they are rewarded AT LEAST 15 FREE YARDS. Why? simply because Jim Harbaugh is on the field. ANY COACH, ON ANY TEAM, IN ANY GENERATION, WOULD EITHER BE FLAGGED, OR EJECTED FOR UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT.

Nobody gets away with the complaints he does. Its a Free Pass EVERY GAME.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Lane was freaking clothes lined by one of the coaches. The body doesn't just upend the way he did without help. The call on the running into the punter was a good call. Maybe not "correct" but fact is the punter landed on top of him, he tried to stop, and some times I swear the refs want the players to defy the laws of physics. Bad call on the Bowman fumble recovery, but so what they got it in a better spot on the very next play. Dang now I need to watch the game again.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree that the calls mostly balanced out.

They got screwed on the Bowman call, but like others said, it not only didn't cost them the game but it worked out better for them.

They way they weren't running the ball, if they got it on the 1 yard line, they were looking at a safety, AND we get the ball back. Now, if we don't score on that possession, the best they can hope for at the end of the game is a TD and 2 pt conversion to tie.

dunceface

Reaction score
I would agree that any bad calls were pretty even both ways
I just can't believe how many ninas fans IN REAL LIFE have tried to cite that ridiculous bullshit conspiracy theory youtube video as some kind of Rosetta Stone as proof that we were handed all of our games on the way to the SB victory
Tumblr muzf8ezrji1sbkairo1 500

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
dunceface":2a9w3tuq said:
I just can't believe how many ninas fans IN REAL LIFE have tried to cite that ridiculous bullshit conspiracy theory youtube video as some kind of Rosetta Stone as proof that we were handed all of our games on the way to the SB victory

It is ridiculous, but how many of us were saying the same thing after that nightmare of a game in detroit back in 06
I agree, That super Bowl was much more one sided and I remember many neutral fans agreed. This time around, the neutral fan would say its more even. Yet I do hear where they are coming from, as much as i hate to say it

dunceface

Reaction score
seahawksny":11eg721o said:
dunceface":11eg721o said:

It is ridiculous, but how many of us were saying the same thing after that nightmare of a game in detroit back in 06
I agree, That super Bowl was much more one sided and I remember many neutral fans agreed. This time around, the neutral fan would say its more even. Yet I do hear where they are coming from, as much as i hate to say it

lolwut
so its the same but different, but its the same?
i guess i can't agree with that…

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
dunceface":26bnxcmg said:
seahawksny":26bnxcmg said:
dunceface":26bnxcmg said:

lolwut
so its the same but different, but its the same?
i guess i can't agree with that…

Its the same because of the magnitude of the game that they feel could have changed the outcome.
Different because they were calling penalties that didnt exist, like when Hasselbeck threw the INT and tried to make a tackle they called him for an illegal block. Things like that

dunceface

Reaction score
I guess my point is that the whiners have used that half baked idiot's video on youtube (that overlooks the numerous calls/no-calls that favored them to an equal extent) as the gospel that proves the game was fixed.

If there was a video around like that in 05 it would not have been baseless because as others have voiced in this thread it went both ways and mostly cancelled out in the NFCCG and I'm not sure I remember ANY calls that went our way in XL

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
dunceface":gyp78arq said:
I guess my point is that the whiners have used that half baked idiot's video on youtube (that overlooks the numerous calls/no-calls that favored them to an equal extent) as the gospel that proves the game was fixed.

If there was a video around like that in 05 it would not have been baseless because as others have voiced in this thread it went both ways and mostly cancelled out in the NFCCG and I'm not sure I remember ANY calls that went our way in XL

I agree 100 percent.nd ZERO calls went our way against Pittsburgh. That's why the two are so very different

dunceface

Reaction score
seahawksny":1hqhzc4k said:
dunceface":1hqhzc4k said:

I agree 100 percent.nd ZERO calls went our way against Pittsburgh. That's why the two are so very different

lol wait so what was your original point again? :229031_shrug:

Tokadub

Reaction score
Hmm I've watched that game at least 3-4 times and I always get the impression that we totally screwed them with favorable referee action...

I'm not sure how you can say it balanced out? There were all kinda shady calls or lack of calls. Marago's hitting the kickers planted leg by itself could have changed the outcome. There were also numerous plays where the play clock seemed to be malfunctioning which was driving harbaugh bat $&/! Crazy.

I think it was pretty clear the refs helped us out... That being said I believe that on average if we played them 10 times in a row that's about as bad as things could have gone. We were a better team and would win more often than not, but if they were going to lose a close game... That's about the most the refs could of screwed them over IMO

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Tokadub":3paxz981 said:
Hmm I've watched that game at least 3-4 times and I always get the impression that we totally screwed them with favorable referee action...

I'm not sure how you can say it balanced out? There were all kinda shady calls or lack of calls. Marago's hitting the kickers planted leg by itself could have changed the outcome. There were also numerous plays where the play clock seemed to be malfunctioning which was driving harbaugh bat $&/! Crazy.

I think it was pretty clear the refs helped us out... That being said I believe that on average if we played them 10 times in a row that's about as bad as things could have gone. We were a better team and would win more often than not, but if they were going to lose a close game... That's about the most the refs could of screwed them over IMO

I've said this before and I will say this again. Any other coach would get multiple flags fo unsportsmanlike conduct if they acted the way harbaugh does on the sidelines. That being said, maybe their fans should think about the fact that accumulates to many yards per game that they are rewarded.

Also...instead of worrying about the refs .. Maybe they should point fact that their qb had three turnovers alone Iin 4th. Maybe they should look at fact their best receiver was held to two catches or their star rb to 14,yards. Maybe that had something to do with it also???? Just maybe

camdawg

Reaction score
seahawksny":36smm6rv said:
dunceface":36smm6rv said:

Here's the Pittsburgh argument for SBXL. They say that on the Herndon INT return, we should've been called for block in the back on Roethlisberger, with the ball brought further back. One of our guys touched him in the back in a very light manner that had no impact on the play whatsoever. Honestly, I would be embarrassed to ask for a penalty like that.

The other play they complain about is on one of Jerramy's drops, it could've easily been called a catch and fumble-the whistle blew as the ball was heading very quickly toward the sideline. Steeler fans like to believe that Polamalu could've run over and snatched up the ball before it went out of bounds, and then maybe gone on a nice return up the field. NO. The ball was heading out of bounds so quickly there's no way Troy gets there in time. Even if he does, he's well inside his 20, with no blocking set up for him. He's going nowhere-probably tackled near the 20. Which is where they got the ball after Tom Rouen punted it into the endzone.

Does this make up for Deshea Townsend grabbing DJack from behind on the DJack pass interference play? Or the bad Mack Strong spot? Or Alan Faneca's takedown of Boulware on Ben's TD? Or Heath Miller's hold on Bryce Fisher on Willie Parker's TD? Or the Locklear play with Casey Hampton offsides? Or the Steeler LOLB offsides on the next play? Or the Hasselbeck penalty? Or the uncalled delay of game on Pittsburgh's last possession? Of course not.