Seahawks OTAs: Fastest 40 times

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane 4.48
Percy Harvin 4.41
Paul Richardson 4.40
Ricardo Lockette 4.26

Pretty cool that two of the fastest guys on our team will be basically new additions to the offense likely to see a lot of playing time given Richardson is a rookie and Harvin hardly played last year.

Better grab WIlson early on your fantasy team - gonna be lots of long gainers in his future.

edogg23

Reaction score
:3: Ricardo Lockette :3: Geez that guy is fast. I always thought he was underrated by a lot of people. I hope he gets a chance this year, he can flat out fly.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Seahawks didn't actually run official 40's at OTAs did they? Are you just taking their previous combine times?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Lane and Lockette are our gunners on STs, right?

Makes sense, good sense.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
edogg23":1tzxpe4a said:
:3: Ricardo Lockette :3: Geez that guy is fast. I always thought he was underrated by a lot of people. I hope he gets a chance this year, he can flat out fly.

Underrated how? He gets props all the time for his special teams play. His receiving on the other hand, is few and far between

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":10tn28qb said:
edogg23":10tn28qb said:

Underrated how? He gets props all the time for his special teams play. His receiving on the other hand, is few and far between

A lot of people kinda turned on him when he went off to the whiners and buddied w/ Kaep. Personally, that never bothered me as this is a business and it is ok for "our" guys to not hate or even be friends w/ the "enemy". It is just a sport after all.

I always thought it was pretty cool how excited he was to be with us the first time and like his potential as he develops. He is another case of needing a couple years to learn/develop at the NFL level but many seem to have this obsession w/ instant gratification/performance.

kidhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":o6ko3vdt said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Seahawks didn't actually run official 40's at OTAs did they? Are you just taking their previous combine times?

Looks like the information that was in this article on the official website:

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Tracking-down-the-fastest-of-the-fast-Seahawks/d92be75e-24b9-46a7-83e6-0369e1b335f8[/urltargetblank]

The times are mixture of personal bests and official times through actual races in college and combine times etc.

Lockette has always known to be fast, but he's just slowly starting to get better at actually running routes.

Another thing to be noted.....track speed doesn't equate to football speed. The fastest straight line guy without pads isn't always the fastest guy on the football field....it does help though

warden

Reaction score
40 times is one thing

who plays the fastest is another.

Percy Harvin plays the fastest

I have not seen Richardson play live yet

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't believe it was a mixture of their fastest 40 times. Harvin ran slow at the combine, but says he can run 4.3- flat

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I don't think Lockette makes the team unless Richardson and Norwood fall on there faces . I think Chris Matthews has a better chance then Lockette

kobebryant

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":19owawsh said:
I don't think Lockette makes the team unless Richardson and Norwood fall on there faces . I think Chris Matthews has a better chance then Lockette

I don't know about that.

This team really values special teams, and that last WR spot has to be able to play special teams - and I think it'll be hard for any of the WRs gunning for the last spot or two to show better on special teams than Lockette. By the end of the year he looked like a legitimate pro bowl caliber gunner.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kobebryant":3dr4emkf said:
EastCoastHawksFan":3dr4emkf said:

I don't know about that.

This team really values special teams, and that last WR spot has to be able to play special teams - and I think it'll be hard for any of the WRs gunning for the last spot or two to show better on special teams than Lockette. By the end of the year he looked like a legitimate pro bowl caliber gunner.

People remember the hits he made on Veltung and on James, but he also did it in the Superbowl. He was also making some killer blocks on ST as well. I think that when we previously hat Lockette he was just an athlete trying to be a WR. While his skills have also progressed there he's certainly grown overall to becoming a complete football player. That really helps him make the team.

I think we do keep 6 WRs and I think Lockette will be one of them. Barring injury, I think there's a good chance that Sidney Rice doesn't make it. Might seem like a stretch right now and he probably will make it due to injury, but...

Harvin
Baldwin
Kearse
Richardson
Norwood
Lockette, Rice, Matthews, Clark, Bates, Walters, Price

Not everyone will stay healthy, but if we do keep 6, and I think we do, that player will have to be a ST contributor. Lockette has that locked down right now. Clark has been making plays in OTAs, but if I'm him then I need to get into the PR competition. Bates tried his hand at FB last year to gain value in trying to make the team. He should continue that. Walters has been here because of his ST play and he'll be in that competition. Matthews and Price are the real unknowns here.

Rice is the known, but he hasn't really separated himself from the top end of the WR corps and doesn't play ST for the bottom end of the WR corps. He could be out.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Chris Matthews hasn't been healthy enough to make a difference and he certainly doesn't seem like the Alex Bannister 6'5 gunner type. He'll compete but Matthews does have things working against him like Rice, not to mention, the Seahawks having McCoy back as well as Luke Willson in his 2nd year who can also line up in the slot position.

TEs give the Seahawks some new RZ options, not to mention if Unger comes back healthier plus Carp and Sweezy continue to progress and the interior line can become average to above average Russell Wilson will have better opportunities to make plays from the middle of the pocket which means he should be able to utilize his play-makers between the seams.

Mathews nor Rice should be considered locks just because they are 6'4-6'5 and the Seahawks must have a big WR. Where was that WR in the Superbowl? Seahawks certainly didn't need one to win it.

Right now Lockette has the leg up on the 6th spot. 6'2, 215 with 4.3 speed. 33 3/4 Arms (Long Arms). 9 3/4 Hands (Big Hands). 35 1/5 Vert (Quality, matches Tate). 10'07 Broad (Explosive). The guy isn't a short stack, he has big WR attributes with all world athleticism. But his value obviously comes from two things already mentioned he has elite Special Teams ability and last year he proved to be a good to great if not superior blocker from the WR position. He's not the best WR but has shown some considerable growth and he'll have more time to continue to improve, to compete before its all said and done.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also, on topic if we are citing personal bests 40 times it would look like this:

Lockette: 4.26s
Richardson: 4.28s
Harvin: 4.30-4.35
Lane: 4.35-4.40

Harvin can run in the low 4.3s, I think his best timed run was a 4.24 in college.

A year or two ago, Carroll named Lane the fastest guy on the team. He also said that Lane ran his 40 time slow. Then both Carroll and Lane have stated at times that Lane can gun it between the high 4.3s.

Add these WRs 40 times to the 3 named above...
Kearse: 4.43s
Norwood: 4.44s
Baldwin:4.48s (wouldn't surprise me if he's much faster now than he was in college, he's one of the quickest players on the team though)

...and you can see why Russell Wilson believes he has one of the fastest WR corps in the NFL.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Damn, I am looking at those number of guys who have those 40 yd dash time like I am drooling over a cupcake!

Its great we got very fast guys. But what's even better is that we got fast guys from all different sorts of height. So its not just the small, fast, quick lean guys. We now got tall, fast lean. Tall fast, big. I am hoping we can keep 6 WRs.

If I had to make my roster, it would be:

Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Lockette
Kearse
Norwood or Matthews (one of these guys will need to fight for a spot. Like someone pointed out last year, we need a big physical receiver.)

kobebryant

Reaction score
Not that it should be factored into evaluations or anything; but I am somewhat surprised that Lockette (28) is older than Rice (27).

edogg23

Reaction score
raisethe3":150xp094 said:
Damn, I am looking at those number of guys who have those 40 yd dash time like I am drooling over a cupcake!

Its great we got very fast guys. But what's even better is that we got fast guys from all different sorts of height. So its not just the small, fast, quick lean guys. We now got tall, fast lean. Tall fast, big. I am hoping we can keep 6 WRs.

Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Lockette
Kearse
Norwood or Matthews (one of these guys will need to fight for a spot. Like someone pointed out last year, we need a big physical receiver.)
I Agree with you 100%

HawkWow

Reaction score
raisethe3":3gf4ifgu said:

Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Lockette
Kearse

Norwood is a lock. I think it will be him and *Kearse ballin' for the 4 spot. Rice and Lockette, imo, are the bubble guys. Rice by far the better receiver so that race will come down to availability, imo. Lockette is without question blazing fast and has excelled on ST, but I think there's no less than 6 better than him at WR. So will Pete keep Lockette only for his ST play? It would greatly benefit him if he could also return punts. Why do I not hear his name in that conversation? The scuttlebutt suggests that in the end, it will be Richardson returning punts. If you believe scuttlebutt.

*I think Kearse is certainly the front runner in this race, as well he should be, but Norwood will be pressing him hard for playing time. Very excited about our entire group...1-5 in particular. I like your list and would only switch the spots of Lockett and Norwood (basically).