Richardson "I'm going to be a punt returner"

Lithium

Reaction score
I said he would be the PR when we drafted him, people told me I was wrong b/c he's never done that before. Dude is PERFECT for Punt Returner.

netskier

Reaction score
Except that the team has a higher need for him, namely to be the wide receiver who goes deep to take the top off of the defense. No one else can do it as deeply except for Lockette who has not shown that he can catch the ball reliably, or Harvin who could, but seems to be reserved for shallow routes. So lose Richardson to injury, and thereby allow the defense to stack the box against the run.

P.S. First post.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I see no issues with this. I like it. We know he is fast. Now let's hope he has that shiftiness that Golden had which was perfect for returns.

Throwdown

Reaction score
netskier":2am62l04 said:
Except that the team has a higher need for him, namely to be the wide receiver who goes deep to take the top off of the defense. No one else can do it as deeply except for Lockette who has not shown that he can catch the ball reliably, or Harvin who could, but seems to be reserved for shallow routes. So lose Richardson to injury, and thereby allow the defense to stack the box against the run.

P.S. First post.

I'd rather Richardson than Thomas if we're gonna play the fear of injury into this.

Sac

Reaction score
Hasn't an analysis been done showing that returning punts is a marginal risk, if at all, for injury?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tate started and also returned to punts. Big whoop.

Richardson isn't a starter right now, Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse are in front of him and all have NFL experience... Richardson returning punts isn't a problem and he can still be a deep threat. The dude isn't going to crumble just because he's 185 pounds.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":clh7314d said:
Hasn't an analysis been done showing that returning punts is a marginal risk, if at all, for injury?
Sort of. It has twice as many injuries as kick returners get, and kick returners are rarely injured. There was a graph somewhere that showed it for positions like KR, PR, WR, RB, etc. It demonstrated pretty conclusively that punt returns are twice as risky as kick returns, but it still wasn't risky in and of itself, IIRC it was somewhat higher than WRs catching passes but not much more; in other words, if you catch 10 passes in a game and return four punts, you're still more likely to get injured as a WR instead of a PR because the injury rate, while higher, is just not some huge jump up from, you know...Playing football. :)

I don't remember where this was from and 30 seconds of Googling hasn't helped me, I'm too busy to try to dig and find it...See if you can and post it here, IMO.

Steve2222

Reaction score
netskier":oup46bzk said:

P.S. First post.

And did you not have a problem with Tate returning punts? What are you're thoughts on the Eagles using Desean Jackson as a punt returner?

P.S. Both players crucial elements to their teams offenses and both players are great return men.

Jville

Reaction score
netskier":t2ouio0w said:

P.S. First post.

Welcome and thanks for posting.

I would only point out that on this team it's a point of pride with everyone to participate on special teams.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
You don't play scared , ever.

Once you start fearing injuries is when players start getting injured

hawknation2014

Reaction score
netskier":2xkc711m said:

P.S. First post.

Why can't he do both?

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jp81qon said:
SacHawk2.0":2jp81qon said:
Sort of. It has twice as many injuries as kick returners get, and kick returners are rarely injured. There was a graph somewhere that showed it for positions like KR, PR, WR, RB, etc. It demonstrated pretty conclusively that punt returns are twice as risky as kick returns, but it still wasn't risky in and of itself, IIRC it was somewhat higher than WRs catching passes but not much more; in other words, if you catch 10 passes in a game and return four punts, you're still more likely to get injured as a WR instead of a PR because the injury rate, while higher, is just not some huge jump up from, you know...Playing football. :)

I don't remember where this was from and 30 seconds of Googling hasn't helped me, I'm too busy to try to dig and find it...See if you can and post it here, IMO.

I can't say if your stats are correct, but they sound close enough for the point being made. I think the only issue with putting a big money elite guy out there like Thomas, or Harvin, isn't the fear that Punt Returns carry more risk, just that the more plays you are involved in, the risk grows. Personally, I want to see someone out there who can be as exciting to watch as Tate, but with maybe a little more smarts on when to run them back. A few times Tate had me freaking out in my living room.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":jdqmocis said:
I can't say if your stats are correct, but they sound close enough for the point being made.
They're not my stats. ;) I just remember what I described from somewhere, can't remember where. *shrug*

sutz

Reaction score
Why not? Our WR corps suddenly got kind of deep this off season, so if he finds another job on ST, go for it IMHO. Gotta love the speed, if nothing else.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rp4uivi said:
kidhawk":3rp4uivi said:
I can't say if your stats are correct, but they sound close enough for the point being made.
They're not my stats. ;) I just remember what I described from somewhere, can't remember where. *shrug*

I recall seeing the same info. Not shocking really, most return men are smart enough to fair catch if a clocking is certain. Once the ball is caught, and the head is parallel to the field / eyes on the action, not much different than the role of a WR. Look at how many years guys like Tim Brown and Ron Woodson returned punts. Both of those men more valuable than Richardson. BUT....Both men, like Golden Tate (mentioned above) were considerably better built than Richardson, too.

I don't foresee Lockett making the 53, so..someone's gotta' do it. Looks like it will be Richardson.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Nothing is "etched in stone" until opening of the season against the Packers. Anything can happen in the next three months. Let's not be "chicken little's" quite yet!

dunceface

Reaction score
I for one am really looking forward to seeing this guy return
got a good feelin about what this guy can contribute this year and he seemed to be a cool dewd