Changes at the Clink

rcambaker

Reaction score
This information was posted on fieldgulls.com via Facebook. It appears there are quite a lot of changes coming to Centurylink Field this coming year, including limited beer sales and hard alcohol sales. The whole posting is below:

A coworker at Microsoft Paul Wilde is on the Seahawks Fan Advisory Council and here are the main points the council had discussed with team execs at CenturyLink on Thursday 6/5/2014.
There are some significant changes coming for the upcoming Seahawks season - As always, I appreciate the feedback you have provided….and look for opportunities to work it into the discussion as appropriate.
Game presentation:
•Regular season opener – there will be a major concert, w/ significant artist(s)….to be held in North lot on 9/4 earlier in the day….open to public (I believe they also indicated it would be a free event). It’s going to be an eventful day overall, team has been working with NFL for several months on this. Team wants to emphasize to game attendees to get to stadium early and watch on stadium screens rather than stay outside and be caught in crunch getting into stadium before the game. If you are going to the game, I’d suggest you plan to take the day off.
•Phish Russell Wilson song/chant prompt – will not be back
•Bittersweet Symphony will remain – it is fond to people within the organization (no specifics), and change would invariably alienate a significant % of fans…..but they do recognize there are many that would like to see this updated. Additional value they see in keeping it is that it is unique to the Seahawks (not always the case around the league) and it is immediately recognized/meaningful to the crowd/fan base on game day.
•No throwback uniform in the near future – want to continue to emphasize current uniforms – including the alternate wolf grey
Alcohol policy - changes:
•No hard alcohol anywhere other than Club level – and even in the club level, only in upper club (loft) areas
•100 level “Red Bull’ bar areas (under Hawks Nest) being upgraded – but will no longer serve hard alcohol
•Club level main floor (2) side bars will gone – only center bar will remain – serving beer and wine
•1 beer per person limit after halftime
•1 hard alcoholic beverage limit per person
•2 ID check approach for hard alcohol purchases – at line entrance and again by server
Technology:
•Four new video boards are in place and look fantastic – very bright, even in bright sunlight. Old stats boards are gone – I believe one of them will be displayed in (I believe) the proshop -- displaying stats from the last game they were used for -- NFC Championship
•Wi-Fi – great (very new) news….very recent deal w/ new sponsor/partner to provide full-stadium Wi-Fi was just reached, hope/intent is to have full wi-fi throughout the stadium by Sept. regular season opener…but lots of work to happen to make that real between now and then.
•Cellular coverage – Sprint and T-Mobile have agreed to add capacity…Verizon and AT&T already did last year
•Club Level Loft audio – I brought up the lack of audio in upper level club loft areas (and outdated TVs) – CEO authorized his IT staff to address that this year
•New TVs will be added to restroom line areas this year
•TVs will be replaced -- around stadium overall this year – some emphasis on club level, and club level lofts
•Seahawks.com website will get a significant revamp in the fall, Hawks are one of four NFL teams in first wave of broader NFL plan
•Updating mobile app will be an area of major focus and updates
•In seat ordering/various ways of leveraging technology as a way to reduce lines is being looked at – no specifics on changes/approach yet
•Intent still there for overall stadium audio system revamp – although that won’t happen for the upcoming season
Other:
•Prominent stadium sign in the field (SW corner) that says ‘Home of the 12th Man’….likely to be changed to ‘Home of the 12s’ before the season starts. My takeaway was this is not an absolute certainty yet, but very likely….and the trend to communicate this way will continue.
•Variable ticket pricing info will be communicated w/ delivery of tickets – 3 price tiers (preseason, regular, premium). Premium tier games are Green Bay, Denver, Dallas, San Francisco. Intent with this is to better align cost with value
•~30 field level seats (sold as auction items last year) were already snapped up as full season seats….~12 more being added at each corner, to be sold via auction. Tougher access (via 100 level stairs) for those, since there isn’t a separate entrance
•Season ticket holder gift will be ‘non-wearable’ item commemorating the season. I did provide the feedback that fans would like some way to get more (either paid or free), potentially based upon # of seats. I don’t expect any changes on that this year.
•Similarly, a sponsor will be giving away ‘season ticket holder gift-like’ items….via coupons sent to season ticket holders….quantity of which will be dependent on # of seats
•Stadium expansion plans still being vetted, nothing will happen for this season, but the discussion indicated this is still likely to proceed later – exact configuration options being actively evaluated
•Big concerts (like U2 several years back, Kenny Chesney, etc.) still a focus…difficult to find major acts that are a great fit for the large venue
•Another condo tower will be built in NE corner of North Lot that will take up more parking space – not sure of timing of that
Go Hawks!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
overall I like these changes, but it's also just a lot more motivation for everyone to smuggle booze in and probably cause more problems than they are solving.

the 1 beer limit thing is bogus until they can get people working at the concessions who can get the line moving faster. Since they stop serving beer after the third quarter it seems, you basically miss the third quarter to get yourself a couple beers for the entire second half of the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for passing it along. I walk down by the stadium just about every day on "lunch break" at work. There was a bunch of great shots on the 4 new boards of players etc. Very clear, and they just ran them over and over again.
Wilson, Baldwin, Beast etc. Plus one that says Superbowl Champs.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Awesome. Happy to hear about all these things. Wonder how the new ticket tier prices will look. Kinda sucks about buying alcohol but it's too damn expensive anyways.

Cartire

Reaction score
•Prominent stadium sign in the field (SW corner) that says ‘Home of the 12th Man’….likely to be changed to ‘Home of the 12s’ before the season starts. My takeaway was this is not an absolute certainty yet, but very likely….and the trend to communicate this way will continue.

It begins.....

summesm

Reaction score
like most changes. what about root lounge is it going to be only beer/wine also? nice to have a drink after eating? and why take away the 2 side bars? will take half game to get a beer now in club and by that time you can only buy one? and only hard alcohol in club loft? Guess i never seen a big problem in staduium concerning there old alcohol policy. like someone said earlier they may be causing a bigger and newer problem. But looking forward to another amazing year.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Sounds like most proposed changes are pretty good.

As far as alcohol changes, it's so expensive inside I am surprised anyone is buying any, and that will continue to lower sales and challenge some to smuggle in their private stash. Doubling up ID checks sounds like a waste of time to me and is a result of minors being found drunk in the stadium. That will never change regardless of how many ID checks they have unless they have zero booze sales and THAT will never happen.

With the announcement of the second condo coming soon to what used to be the north lot, it's time to just fill up that end of the stadium with seats as the once stunning view of the downtown skyline will now be full of condos. Yuck!

Just sounds like my season tickets will still be getting more expensive, started at $62 in 2003 and are now $100, just hope the quality of what we see on the field is at the same level.

GO HAWKS!!!

Seaswab

Reaction score
The attachment to Bittersweet Symphony is mind boggling to me. So dumb.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Glad they are getting rid of the "WIL-SON" chant. Want to play it after he scores a touchdown? Fine. But playing it before the first offensive snap of the game and encouraging fans to get loud when our OFFENSE is huddling was always a dumb idea.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1s14dhe1 said:
Glad they are getting rid of the "WIL-SON" chant. Want to play it after he scores a touchdown? Fine. But playing it before the first offensive snap of the game and encouraging fans to get loud when our OFFENSE is huddling was always a dumb idea.

Couldnt agree more. You had players trying to quiet the crowd while they played this chant. Very dumb.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
12HawkFan":stb678am said:
With the announcement of the second condo coming soon to what used to be the north lot, it's time to just fill up that end of the stadium with seats as the once stunning view of the downtown skyline will now be full of condos. Yuck!

If the plans I saw a while back are what they are going with, this condo building is going to be a lot smaller than the other one. But yeah, it still sucks and I wish they'd just give up on the idea. (Then again, in this economy I'm sure people are just lining up to drop a couple hundred grand on a studio apartment. SMH)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Seaswab":1877pho3 said:

With my Seahawks employed relative, years ago I tried to push this idea (based on thoughts from this board around 2006)

He sternly looked me in the eyes and told me "That will not EVER happen", that there is no changing it and that it is a big deal that it remains. That was 8 years ago, a coaching change, 2 QB changes and generally entire different team that it has lasted.

chawx

Reaction score
Seaswab":1jz681tc said:

Yep, this is seriously the dumbest part of all these updates and the one thing i kept getting hung up on... That song is such CRAP and maybe describes the Holmgren/Hass era pretty good, but it is WAY TOO WEAK for this core group of guys.

Nothing about this team is "bittersweet" or a "symphony" ... lame!

Seaswab

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":v5ngckht said:
Seaswab":v5ngckht said:

With my Seahawks employed relative, years ago I tried to push this idea (based on thoughts from this board around 2006)

He sternly looked me in the eyes and told me "That will not EVER happen", that there is no changing it and that it is a big deal that it remains. That was 8 years ago, a coaching change, 2 QB changes and generally entire different team that it has lasted.

Mind boggling. The song has nothing to do with this team at all. It wore itself out years ago. Whenever its played, you can almost hear the entire stadium moan. Its as if somebody thinks its sacred and there is no way we can ever get rid of something so sacred. These people are out of touch with reality and the fanbase.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":28ary0xj said:
overall I like these changes, but it's also just a lot more motivation for everyone to smuggle booze in and probably cause more problems than they are solving.

the 1 beer limit thing is bogus until they can get people working at the concessions who can get the line moving faster. Since they stop serving beer after the third quarter it seems, you basically miss the third quarter to get yourself a couple beers for the entire second half of the game.

Yeah, there were studies done that campuses that banned kegs actually had more underage drinkers who got in trouble with the law than campuses that did not ban kegs.

It was due to the obvious -- banning kegs meant everyone was mixing hard liquor and you can't really tell how strong a drink is in the same way that you can count beers (or get full from beer before you get truly wrecked).

The more expensive and harder it is to buy drinks in the stadium, the more people will drink before they even get inside, and/or smuggle booze in.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":17ahtjse said:
loafoftatupu":17ahtjse said:
Seaswab":17ahtjse said:

Mind boggling. The song has nothing to do with this team at all. It wore itself out years ago. Whenever its played, you can almost hear the entire stadium moan. Its as if somebody thinks its sacred and there is no way we can ever get rid of something so sacred. These people are out of touch with reality and the fanbase.

These are the same people that came up with Seahawks Reign... and when people hated it thought that maybe they needed to make it more rock and roll... (the original was kind of country sounding)... my ears start to bleed just thinking about it...