POLL: Marshawn Lynch Will he or Wont he?

Marshawn Lynch will he or wont he?

• No: he will hold out, he wants more money or some recognition.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • Yes: he will show up for camp, he still may want those things but the team and contract come first.

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters

Rainger

Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of speculation about whether ML will skip mandatory Mini Camp. The media have had a field day with this. 710 Sports have talked like all the speculation in the media is all correct.

However other than the statement by big play Babs there has been no concrete facts that ML plans to hold out. So here is the 64 million dollar question, will he or wont he?? What's your bet?

I think he will show up for camp.

PS although I cant control it, voting ends at Camp time tomorrow lol.

OK 88 votes were cast by the time Marshawn showed up for camp 47 yes and 41 no. 53% were correct.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Marshawn being Marshawn.

Will he show up? Maybe not. Is it about money? I don't think so.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I feel like there may be a mixed motive involved. Rationally, I could understand wanting the security of knowing you had guaranteed money on next season's deal, especially at a position as violent as Marshawn's .

But this is also a guy who doesn't really enjoy practicing with the team. Maybe he just wants more time to condition himself before he enters the spotlight of team activities.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Michael Bennett: 'Hawks should pay Marshawn Lynch
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... hawn-lynch

"Come back, Marshawn, come back! We need you," Bennett told NFL AM on Monday. "Without Marshawn, we wouldn't win a Super Bowl. Obviously he's one of the best running backs in the game, and he feels like he should be paid like one of the best backs in the game. And, of course, I agree with him. I mean, for a guy to take those kind of hits in the NFL and continue to do it at a high level?"

Appearing with his brother on NFL Network, Chicago Bears tight end Martellus Bennett argued that today's running backs have to scrap for every dollar.

"The way that running backs are treated in the league nowadays, until they get some leverage, they gotta try and get paid again, because they'll be out before you know it," Martellus said. "It's almost as if in the NFL, as soon as you have a good year, you gotta ask for a pay raise -- because as soon as you have a bad year, they ask for a pay cut."

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Bennett has a point but Lynch is already paid like one of the top backs in the game. He just wants a little love from the office and I think they will show it. I don't believe he is asking for a whole lot and he probably needs the extra rest to boot.

Depending on which source you use Lynch is listed anywhere in the top 5 for running back salaries and is actually number 1 in guarenteed money in most computations.

Here is one that I found: http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=RB

Hawknballs

Reaction score
For the "marshawn is paid like a top back already" bunch, Peterson is set to make 12m this year, McCoy 9.7m. Lynch 5.5.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawknballs":gb2ro8ri said:
For the "marshawn is paid like a top back already" bunch, Peterson is set to make 12m this year, McCoy 9.7m. Lynch 5.5.
At least for McCoy, you're quoting 2014 cap hit instead of 2014 salary.

McCoy will be paid $8M if he earns both the workout and roster bonus, according to spotrac.com.

I didn't check Peterson's.

Let's at least compare apples to apples, okay?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I don't think it's as much about recognition for his place among RBs as it is about understanding how the Seahawks and the NFL work. RBs are a devalued position right now, and RBs closing in on 30 years old are usually headed for the chopping block. I think it's clear that Marshawn is a lock for being our workhorse back this coming season, but I'd bet he feels a ton of uncertainty about his status for the 2015 season. Lynch represents a cap hit of $9 million in 2015, and cutting him would save the team $7.5 million - money that can be used to ink Wilson to a long-term deal. And with Lynch turning 29 next April, I think the writing may be on the wall for him. He's probably just looking to get more of his 4th year money moved to the 3rd year before he gets cut. And if the rumor that he's got some interest in retiring is accurate, then it makes total sense that he wants to get as much financial security before he (or the team) decides that he's done.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1e1o0vro said:

I guess it depends on how you choose to define "among".

2014 NFL running back salaries according to the link above your post.

AP - $14,380,000 with 3,375.000 guarenteed
McKoy $ 9,000,000 with 4,153,000 guarenteed
Foster $ 8,700,000 with 4,150,000
Forte $ 7,600,000 With 3,450,000
Lynch $7,500,000 With 4,250,000
Rice $7,000,000 with 3,000,000
Gore $6,404,183 with 0

So Money Lych is already top dog when it comes to guarenteed dollars and the office won't have to work to hard to make him top 3 in total salary. Heck they could accidently pass gass and make him number 4 on the list.

This will get done. It's too close already not to.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":yp8uugkv said:
Hawknballs":yp8uugkv said:

McCoy will be paid $8M if he earns both the workout and roster bonus, according to spotrac.com.

you are correct, 8m, post from phone 2 mins after waking up, petersons is accurate but obviously a huge exception to the rule.

I think the real issue with lynchs contract is that he's looking at the very real possibility of being cut next off season and sees the kind of deals guys are getting in that position lately. I really believe he's rather do a deal with Seattle to get something done this year that puts some up from cash in his pocket and also makes it more likely he can play next year without having to shop himself around by staying with the team. He's obviously a bit of an introvert, and I think he'd probably rather retire than try to acclimate to a new team.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2khaiaps said:
Hawknballs":2khaiaps said:

I guess it depends on how you choose to define "among".

2014 NFL running back salaries according to the link above your post.

AP - $14,380,000 with 3,375.000 guarenteed
McKoy $ 9,000,000 with 4,153,000 guarenteed
Foster $ 8,700,000 with 4,150,000
Forte $ 7,600,000 With 3,450,000
Lynch $7,500,000 With 4,250,000
Rice $7,000,000 with 3,000,000
Gore $6,404,183 with 0

So Money Lych is already top dog when it comes to guarenteed dollars and the office won't have to work to hard to make him top 3 in total salary. Heck they could accidently pass gass and make him number 4 on the list.

This will get done. It's too close already not to.

worth noting a couple things here, the 7.5 is his cap number, and the 4.25 is just the average of the guaranteed money he received for comparisons sake not money he us guaranteed this year.

thus year he will earn 5m with a 500k bonus if the team doesn't cut him, none of it guaranteed, with a 0.0% chance he will play under this contract next year. When you look at it that way its no shock he wants a deal.

the key here is going to be how much the Seahawks think he can olay beyond this season. A new deal certainly would mean a 2015 commitment that makes it hard for the team to move on if lynch declines. But if they think he is still in the picture for 2 more years it makes sense to get a deal done now anyways to clear cap for next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I won't be surprised either way honestly. I don't care if he wants to make a point by ponying up $69,000 in fines to miss the mandatory training camp. I would be disappointed though if he tried to hold out into the season. Heck, I would want him to be here by at least week 3 of the preseason. I know it's a business and the owners will cut you and your salary in a heartbeat, and holding out is the only leverage a player has. I also know the writing is on the wall with Lynch. He's a hard running back who takes a LOT of contact who will be 30 soon. There is seemingly a talented back waiting in the wings and a duo in John and Pete who like to keep the roster young and hungry. I can see Lynch pushing to get all he can now, but when it comes to crunch time I believe (Hope) he shows up in the end, just not in the beginning.

A

Anonymous

pmedic920":2rr082qc said:
I can't vote on my phone. I will say I want him on the field. One of my all time favs.
If he moves on, I think we will be fine.

Lon, Crapatalk has been relegated to minimum "intrusion" as that app is a security risk. More than likely why you cannot vote.

Try "desktop view" using your phones normal browser and you should be able to vote (oh, and see the site as it was intended to be seen) :mrgreen:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Hawknballs":10a6egay said:
onanygivensunday":10a6egay said:
Hawknballs":10a6egay said:

you are correct, 8m, post from phone 2 mins after waking up, petersons is accurate but obviously a huge exception to the rule.

I think the real issue with lynchs contract is that he's looking at the very real possibility of being cut next off season and sees the kind of deals guys are getting in that position lately. I really believe he's rather do a deal with Seattle to get something done this year that puts some up from cash in his pocket and also makes it more likely he can play next year without having to shop himself around by staying with the team. He's obviously a bit of an introvert, and I think he'd probably rather retire than try to acclimate to a new team.

Great point; Lynch isn't going to be a spokesman for Toastmasters anytime soon. I think the likelihood of him starting over with another team is slim. Personally I would love to have him for the next couple years until he's really ready hang em up. Throw a couple million more guaranteed at him and call it good. He's earned it, and the love and respect of his team mates and the 12's.

A

Anonymous

I think he holds out a while just because he can, and it IS all about the money. Not greed money, but respect money.

I think his contract will have to be re- structured so its face value exceeds that of all but the top three backs in the league. Guaranteed money may be tops now with his current deal, but I say he looks to have the numbers CLEARLY bigger to the naked eye without having to dig and figure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":hyqp5gor said:
Marshawn being Marshawn.

Will he show up? Maybe not. Is it about money? I don't think so.

It's always about the money.

Always.