Lynch at minicamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks46

Reaction score
According to NFL.com

Funny, they say that he's there, but "could still hold out for training camp". Talk about trying to hold onto a story.

Yes, I suck at links.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... s-minicamp

Marshawn Lynch's potential mandatory minicamp holdout turned out to be much ado about nothing. Lynch arrived for practice with his Seattle Seahawks teammates Tuesday, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Lynch's arrival should be one less headache for the Seahawks to deal with, but it doesn't necessarily end the story. Lynch could theoretically still hold out of training camp, and he could continue to seek out adjustments to his contract.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2rqipnfw said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000359335/article/marshawn-lynch-arrives-at-seahawks-minicamp

Marshawn Lynch's potential mandatory minicamp holdout turned out to be much ado about nothing. Lynch arrived for practice with his Seattle Seahawks teammates Tuesday, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Lynch's arrival should be one less headache for the Seahawks to deal with, but it doesn't necessarily end the story. Lynch could theoretically still hold out of training camp, and he could continue to seek out adjustments to his contract.

Man, I knew who wrote that piece before clicking the link. It shows that Rosenthal got his break at PFT before he was hired at NFL.com.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Wouldn't have bothered me if he had held out of this camp. Would have just given more work to the young guys who definitely need it, but I'm glad he's there all the same

Seahawker86

Reaction score
line up, i have a whole lot of crow to hand out.

speak up b/c I'm too lazy to go back and call people out

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I voted that I didn't think he'd show up, but I also still think they get something done contract wise. But I'm also reasonable and didn't think he was being greedy or malicious. I've already said my piece several times.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
It was a non-story from the get-go. Before the get-go, even. Manufactured hullabaloo.

It's a great illustration of how many in the media have a tendency to look for negative angles, especially if it means trouble for a successful team. The old "build 'em up, tear 'em down" approach. In ye olden days it sold papers; now it gets clicks.

It also shows how the media as a whole is basically a herd of sheep. One freaks out over nothing, the others go running off in all directions. Funny stuff.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
not sure if it's a non-story, we don't know what goes on between team and agent. It was a greatly overblown story to obviously piss away time in the offseason. doesn't mean there haven't been discussions about redoing the deal considering the hawks will need to eventually deal with his '15 numbers if he's going to remain on the team, there's no question about that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I voted yes to the poll for the simple reason Marshawn's under contract. If he wanted to play hardball, he'd have to sit out 2 solid years before moving on to another team. That's not even a remote possibility. The only juice he has at all would be to threaten the FO with retirement (and his agent would discourage that for sure). Glad he's in camp and would be happy if we hit him with a bit of a bump...making him #3 in pay among RBs. I think it would take another $ mil to make that happen.

Or better, offer him 2 more mil @ season's end if he concludes the year north of 4.5 ypc.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3um6tmy5 said:
not sure if it's a non-story, we don't know what goes on between team and agent. It was a greatly overblown story to obviously piss away time in the offseason. doesn't mean there haven't been discussions about redoing the deal considering the hawks will need to eventually deal with his '15 numbers if he's going to remain on the team, there's no question about that.

I agree. If only the majority of mega-sportsco reporters and bloggers had a fraction of the level-headedness with which you just described the situation. :th2thumbs:

kthebestwayw":3um6tmy5 said:
line up, i have a whole lot of crow to hand out.

speak up b/c I'm too lazy to go back and call people out

You're fond of this crow-eating aspect to message board communication.

You mentioned it in the RW contract thread too, but never offered any numbers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93396&start=50

Care to?

Lanakila

Reaction score
I am so glad this is over. Early on I had had enough of the speculation. Every day at 4 I drive my daughter to one practice or the other and I'll usually turn on Wyman, Mike and Moore and listen to Clayton. What a bitch he's turned into. He would gloat for half an hour about this, incessantly make references to Marshawn doesn't like to talk so what can anyone know and 'Marshawns being Marshawn.' He can really harbor a grudge. Thank God we can talk about something else.
For the record, I voted that he would be at practice because Marshawn is a stand up guy not a drama queen.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Note that Lynch shows up partially because he thinks the team will try to negotiate something for him in good faith. Also note that Vernon Davis and Alex Boone skip the first day of minicamp.

The 49er Defense Force will deny this, but Seattle has shown a willingness to work with and reward its key players, and San Francisco does things like not working with Tarell Brown to help restore even part of his workout bonus that he missed out on. Players remember these sorts of things. Baalke had better keep stocking picks and had better hit on some of these upcoming classes because players around the league have seen how hard-line Baalke is in negotiating with people.

Jville

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":17i9k14w said:
Note that Lynch shows up partially because he thinks the team will try to negotiate something for him in good faith. Also note that Vernon Davis and Alex Boone skip the first day of minicamp.

The 49er Defense Force will deny this, but Seattle has shown a willingness to work with and reward its key players, and San Francisco does things like not working with Tarell Brown to help restore even part of his workout bonus that he missed out on. Players remember these sorts of things. Baalke had better keep stocking picks and had better hit on some of these upcoming classes because players around the league have seen how hard-line Baalke is in negotiating with people.

That 49er stuff has nothing to do with Marshawn Lynch or the Seattle Seahawks. If you got an axe to grind, why not refrain from dragging it into this forum. IMO .... it's annoying enough in the NFL forum.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2bfj3hhx said:
It was a non-story from the get-go. Before the get-go, even. Manufactured hullabaloo.

It's a great illustration of how many in the media have a tendency to look for negative angles, especially if it means trouble for a successful team. The old "build 'em up, tear 'em down" approach. In ye olden days it sold papers; now it gets clicks.

It also shows how the media as a whole is basically a herd of sheep. One freaks out over nothing, the others go running off in all directions. Funny stuff.

If you believe this, then you are basically saying Babineaux flat out lied about his conversation with Lynch. I don't think the media manufactured anything...at least nothing I read. The reports I read said "Lynch is unhappy with his current deal". I don't find that hard to believe at all. Yes, they suggested he may hold out, but I saw nobody saying that a hold out was certain. No offense bro, just pointing this out as I personally don't believe Babs would fabricate this stuff. Misquoting Lynch is a sure fire way of never getting anything from him again and I maintain my initial thought that Bab's reported this with Lynch's approval. It would be unwise, if not stupid, to have done this on his own. Lying about it..well, I just find that very unlikely. You just don't mess with Marshawn Lynch.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkWow":1q7eotb8 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1q7eotb8 said:

If you believe this, then you are basically saying Babineaux flat out lied about his conversation with Lynch. I don't think the media manufactured anything...at least nothing I read. The reports I read said "Lynch is unhappy with his current deal". I don't find that hard to believe at all. Yes, they suggested he may hold out, but I saw nobody saying that a hold out was certain. No offense bro, just pointing this out as I personally don't believe Babs would fabricate this stuff. Misquoting Lynch is a sure fire way of never getting anything from him again and I maintain my initial thought that Bab's reported this with Lynch's approval. It would be unwise, if not stupid, to have done this on his own. Lying about it..well, I just find that very unlikely. You just don't mess with Marshawn Lynch.

The holdout rumor appears to have been highly speculative, knowing that Lynch would never come out to dispute it because of his unwillingness to engage with the media. Some people may have taken advantage of that reality in order to generate some attention for themselves during the off season.

The next rumor they could speculate and manufacture is that Lynch plans to demand a trade if he does not receive more money before the end of camp. They could do this because they know Lynch will never come out to dispute it, and the Seahawks could say nothing because it's a rumor about future intention. It would certainly generate more attention for the media whores who speculated about Lynch's supposed holdout.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Jville":1gpw1kiz said:
Smelly McUgly":1gpw1kiz said:

That 49er stuff has nothing to do with Marshawn Lynch or the Seattle Seahawks. If you got an axe to grind, why not refrain from dragging it into this forum. IMO .... it's annoying enough in the NFL forum.

I don't have an axe to grind. In fact, if you don't like reading it, you know what you can do, and it isn't whine about reading it here.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawknation2014":161nk7qh said:
HawkWow":161nk7qh said:
HawkAroundTheClock":161nk7qh said:

The holdout rumor appears to have been highly speculative, knowing that Lynch would never come out to dispute it because of his unwillingness to engage with the media. Some people may have taken advantage of that reality in order to generate some attention for themselves during the off season.
I hear ya both. My aim was more at the initial Yahoo blogger who had nothing but a speculative thought, and then the avalanche of commentators who just parroted the blog. I don't think Babs got anything until like day three of the hubbub (could be wrong, I was tuning it out). Anyway, my ire is with the phony journalism at large these days. It's just rumor milling, piggy-backing, and RT'ing. Citing "sources" is now totally standard, along with opinion masquerading as fact. Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.