Which WRs Do We Keep?

nategreat

Reaction score
Looking @ the roster, I think we'll keep 6 going into the regular season.

1) Percy Harvin
2) Doug Baldwin
3) Paul Richardson
4) Jermaine Kearse
5) Kevin Norwood
6) Sidney Rice

Everyone is high on Lockette and his special teams abilities. While that's true, I think it's more important that we keep the 6 best receivers, regardless of special teams abilities.

The only other possibility, I think, is if Sidney never gets healthy enough and we have to cut him. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

I really like that list of receivers though, I think that's pretty dang legit- and like many have said, I think both Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood are going to show some serious talents in their rookie years.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks will do everything they can to keep Lockette on the active roster. His athleticism and versatility makes him valuable. He had a strong start to OTAs. He's a natural flanker and is probably one of the fastest players on the team. But he also has length to play at split end. And of course, his reputation is one of a much ballyhooed special teams tackler.

There are plenty of ways to go about this. My guess is they will keep Sidney Rice on the PUP list while he continues his rehab on his knee, and then if another receiver gets injured, they can activate Rice while keeping Lockette. If the Seahawks do keep Lockette, they will have exclusive rights to him in 2015.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
how about we free up a spot for the special teams rocket by jettisoning a qb that will never suit up for us and we are only making better for another team?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time not seeing Rice as the odd man out... unless all of his knee issues are in the past and he's 100% healthy.

What ever happened to his knee issue that he attempted to get taken care of before the start of last season?... the one where he went to Europe to get some form of injection not available here in the states.

Anybody know any details of that?

Like, was it in both knees that he got the injection(s)?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Frankly I don't want Rice to make the team. You have to factor in more than current skill /ability in the equation. Team control has to factor into this. Rice is signed this year. Norwood on the other hand is on a cheap rookie deal, I really hope he makes it. Frankly I think they only keep 5 wrs.

The Radish

Reaction score
I don't know about Rice's treatment in Europe but I hope it helps.

As I recall he got hurt when someone landed on his knees during a play. Not sure who landed on him, ours or theirs. I would like to keep him if he's healthy because he has that big play ability I haven't seen in many of our receivers.

I'll always remember a couple of years ago when most any time we needed a big play to save a drive he was the guy that made it happen. I'd like to see that guy again.

:les:

UGotHawked

Reaction score
nategreat said:
Looking @ the roster, I think we'll keep 6 going into the regular season.

1) Percy Harvin
2) Doug Baldwin
3) Paul Richardson
4) Jermaine Kearse
5) Kevin Norwood
6) Sidney Rice

Everyone is high on Lockette and his special teams abilities. While that's true, I think it's more important that we keep the 6 best receivers, regardless of special teams abilities.

The only other possibility, I think, is if Sidney never gets healthy enough and we have to cut him. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

I really like that list of receivers though, I think that's pretty dang legit- and like many have said, I think both Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood are going to show some serious talents in their rookie years.[/quote

I know who else is high on Lockette - the coaching staff. I heard Kippy Brown interviewed last year and he raved about RL's ability and "willingness" to lay crushing blocks downfield in the running game. Hearing Pete in the Town Meeting contniue to preach about "being who we are" and that they want to "run it down their frickin throats," as well as his gleeful rooting of Lockette in the Super Bowl when he swallowed up Holiday on that punt return says to me that they LOVE his uniqueness. He, along with Lane, give them TWO potential Pro Bowl quality gunners on punt returns when most teams have one. I think we all know what an emphasis Pete puts on special teams.

The challenge to Lockette is to continue progressing as a viable WR option which allows them to use him more on offense. His SB catch seemed to be a good indicator of that. Its gonna be hard to imagine them not keeping Lockette.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Keep Rice and Lockette and cut a QB that won't play this season, won't be here next season, that we are only preparing to play against us in the future.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
nategreat":2zrcy7vt said:
While that's true, I think it's more important that we keep the 6 best receivers, regardless of special teams abilities.
Disagree.

In fact I'd be shocked if Rice made the team as the 6th best WR. He needs to beat out Kears, imo, if wants to make the team.

Harvin
Kearse
Baldwin
Richardson
Norwood
Lockette/Mathews

Rainger

Reaction score
Don't pass lightly on this Mathews kid from the CFL. If he is back from his injury he will be the dark horse to make the team, big, fast all the tools.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think people are underestimating Rice's likelihood of making the team. I believe the team still views him highly. Paul Richardson said Rice was the "top dog" in the wide receiver group. Rice is also playing Z receiver.

Baldwin is moving to X this season. Per Bevell, Richardson and Kearse are also slotted for X. Not sure about Lockette and Norwood, but I think Harvin and Rice are the only confirmed Zs at this point and Harvin's likely to see a ton of snaps from the slot. That means Z should be pretty wide open.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I could see the Rice on PUP scenario happening.

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
rainger":2mbkikgg said:
Don't pass lightly on this Mathews kid from the CFL. If he is back from his injury he will be the dark horse to make the team, big, fast all the tools.

Agree 100%

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think you would keep Rice as a 5th or 6th WR because he has no special teams value. He needs to show he is one of the best 2 or 3 WRs on this team in my opinion, because the last couple of WRs on the roster need to play special teams. I'm guessing Rice starts on the PUP list which will buy the team some time to make that call.

xCalibur

Reaction score
I like Matthews as well....he gives us one big wr with skills...and i have never been a fan of Lockette after i realized he spends a ton of time with kaep....how do we know he isn't, even by accident giving up play secrets to his best friend. Just don't like it. Off season he should be hanging with his team friends, not the enemy. Keep Matthews

Basis4day

Reaction score
xCalibur":zb825ci2 said:
I like Matthews as well....he gives us one big wr with skills...and i have never been a fan of Lockette after i realized he spends a ton of time with kaep....how do we know he isn't, even by accident giving up play secrets to his best friend. Just don't like it. Off season he should be hanging with his team friends, not the enemy. Keep Matthews

That's absurd. They became friends at the combine and were roommates when Lockette was a Niner. Do you really expect players not to associate with NFLers who are not current Seahawks? Did you know Lockette is also really good friends with Baldwin and stayed friends while he was a Niner? How do you know Baldwin wasn't tipping secrets to Lockette?
Marshawn Lynch is good friends with DeSean Jackson. Richard Sherman is good friends with Larry Fitzgerald. Are they also spies?

If you don't like Lockette's on-field performance i won't argue with you. But have a realistic view on off the field activities.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Lockette puts the fear of god into returners, and while Rice has had some contributions in the past and some big catches, the man is too brittle and has no special teams abilities. I really like Matthews but, if for the sake of this exercise we're only keeping six, I'm keeping Lockette over Matthews again due to the special teams attributes. He's a BIG reason why we held opponents to such ridiculously small returns

jlwaters1

Reaction score
GLOCKHAWK":12fv99hd said:
rainger":12fv99hd said:

Agree 100%

except that's been dinged up for most of the OTA's. He might not get a chance to show his skill if keeps being sidelined with injuries.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
ManBunts":2ggdqhat said:
Lockette puts the fear of god into returners, and while Rice has had some contributions in the past and some big catches, the man is too brittle and has no special teams abilities. I really like Matthews but, if for the sake of this exercise we're only keeping six, I'm keeping Lockette over Matthews again due to the special teams attributes. He's a BIG reason why we held opponents to such ridiculously small returns

Lockette is a lock in my opinion. Tough, super fast and improving. His speed will allow the Hawks to go full throttle every play with Richardson and Harvin on the field. If Lockette becomes a pro catching the ball, it isn't going to be fair for the rest of the NFL. I think Kearse is battling with Norwood and Rice with Mathews. It would really suck to see Kearse get cut but I think that is going to happen. I won't be fooled overlooking the value of Rice this year. It was painfully obvious how much we lost when he went down.

One more thing, If McCoy keeps dropping passes they might make mathews a pass catching tight end hybrid.