O'Brien Schofield interview 6-18

hawknation2014

Reaction score
That's going to be a great competition for that right end nickel spot. The fact that Schofield sees that as his best opportunity for playing time is evidence that they plan to rush Avril and Bennett from the strongside in the nickel package, as they did last season.

I'm excited to see what Benson Mayowa can do at the position with his new strength and weight.

Cassius Marsh is viewed as more of an interior rusher right now, but maybe he will get a shot on the outside at some point this year. He had a "sack" at yesterday's practice.

The dark horse is Jackson Jeffcoat, who probably won't be a factor this year as a rookie but who could be a major factor if they fail to re-sign Avril. Jeffcoat was one of the best athletes in this draft class. This is a guy who ran the same short shuttle time as Khalil Mack (4.18) and the shuttle has been the best indicator of success for us at the DE position. Led Texas in tackles (86), TFLs (22), sacks (13.0) and QB pressures (19) last year. He's up to 253 lbs and probably has the frame to put on another ten without losing his speed and agility. He's got great bloodlines. I love the fact that we got this guy as a free agent.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
hawknation2014":gttdci0m said:
That's going to be a great competition for that right end nickel spot. The fact that Schofield sees that as his best opportunity for playing time is evidence that they plan to rush Avril and Bennett from the strongside in the nickel package, as they did last season.

I'm excited to see what Benson Mayowa can do at the position with his new strength and weight.

Cassius Marsh is viewed as more of an interior rusher right now, but maybe he will get a shot on the outside at some point this year. He had a "sack" at yesterday's practice.

The dark horse is Jackson Jeffcoat, who probably won't be a factor this year as a rookie but who could be a major factor if they fail to re-sign Avril. Jeffcoat was one of the best athletes in this draft class. This is a guy who ran the same short shuttle time as Khalil Mack (4.18) and the shuttle has been the best indicator of success for us at the DE position. Led Texas in tackles (86), TFLs (22), sacks (13.0) and QB pressures (19) last year. He's up to 253 lbs and probably has the frame to put on another ten without losing his speed and agility. He's got great bloodlines. I love the fact that we got this guy as a free agent.

How did he not get drafted? With those numbers one would think he would at least get drafted. What did teams see in him that caused him not to get drafted. I know hes not typical size but it's not like he is small either. Talking about Jeffcoat.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
OB better turn himself into a poor man's Deacon Jones or become one hell of a special teams player, because simply being a middling nickel edge rusher isn't enough utility to warrant a roster spot these days.

Jeffcoat went undrafted due to his medical history.

Seafan

Reaction score
OB is in the mix. I look forward to the battle.

Jeffcoat is not a LB and since he is a tweener he didn't fit many schemes. Like Michael Sam. Jeffcoat will be a better pro than Sam.

The DL competition is deep this season. The good thing is the best one's will be kept and none of us have to make those decisions.