Pete Carroll wins PFWA's 2014 Jack Horrigan Award

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/article-1/Pete-Carroll-selected-as-PFWAs-2014-Jack-Horrigan-Award-Winner/d0ee1a8e-40d2-4876-b332-a808c7c532d9[/urltargetblank]

The Horrigan Award is given to the league or club official for his or her qualities and professional style in helping the pro football writers do their job.

Seattle Executive VP of Football Operations and head coach Pete Carroll, accessible and enthusiastic in his cooperation with the media covering the Seahawks on a daily basis, has been selected as the 2014 Jack Horrigan Award winner by the Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA).

Carroll, the 41st Horrigan Award winner, is the second member of the Seahawks organization to receive the honor from the PFWA. Former head coach Mike Holmgren won the award in 2008. Carroll is the first head coach to win the Horrigan Award since the New York Jets' Rex Ryan in 2011.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sounds as if this is the coach/exec version of the "Good Guy" award that Russell just got.

Very fitting in both cases.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete and the Seahawks have certainly cultivated an open culture.

So many trailblazers call the VMAC home.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
It's something the Niner trolls, no matter how hard they try, cannot refute: their coach and QB are just not likeable. Sure they'll dismiss it as something insignificant on the football field--and it may be-- but it doesn't change the fact that to be a fan is to care about every employee representing that team and it's harder to really care about your team when your two most important leaders are douchebags.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This is a great quote from that article on .com:

"Aside from being accessible and articulate, Pete has a rare grasp of the emotional side of stories," said Dave Boling of the Tacoma News Tribune. "He's never reluctant to recognize the effort, the dedication, the pain and the hardships attendant to an athlete's life. Those tend to be some of his best quotes and give depth and a human dimension to the stories we tell. I was stunned one time after a press conference when he sought me out to elaborate on a question I had asked in a group-interview setting. He didn't feel that he'd adequately answered the question and wanted to clarify and elaborate. It showed me that he's not up there just firing off superficial answers, but actually engaged in the process. And, interestingly, as the Seahawks under Carroll have achieved greater success, he has seemed even more approachable and forthcoming rather than less so."

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Same guys that whined about Marshawn Lynch during SB week instead of just talking more to the open and comfortable guys that were excited to talk like Coach Carroll. Coach Carroll is awesome and deserves this award, and I hope in the future, the PFWA focuses more on the guys that want to talk to them and make the experience a positive one than the guys that don't.

Meeker

Reaction score
They should create a Marshawn Lynch award for the best at hindering the writers from doing their job.

Honestly...what a stupid award.