Largent and Rice duped on Jerry wearing number 80 for Hawks

seabowl

Reaction score
Saw an interview with Largent and Mike Florio where Largent says something to the effect that the Hawks GM at the time of Jerry's arrival to the Hawks called and told Largent that Jerry Rice wanted to wear the number 80 with the Hawks and Largent said ok. The GM then called Jerry to say that Largent wanted Jerry to wear number 80 and Jerry agreed. So basically they were both lied to.

I remember at the time thought it was bush league for Jerry to wear 80 on the Hawks but as we come to find out he and Largent were duped. Boy how much has changed since the arrival of Pete/John.

BTW I tried to copy and past the interview but had some issues so if someone could do this that would be great.

The Radish

Reaction score
No offense my friend but this is really old news.

The word was that Bob Whit-snit did that very thing. To bad Jerry Rice was classless enough to want that number here.

:roll:

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Radish":pr8hs0hw said:
No offense my friend but this is really old news.

The word was that Bob Whit-snit did that very thing. To bad Jerry Rice was classless enough to want that number here.

:roll:

I never heard this before today. As far as Jerry being classless, Jerry was made to think that Steve was asking him to wear the number.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yea, that's why you see very few 'Hawks fans, and fewer still old time 'Hawks fans sporting a #80 Rice jersey. It was a pretty uncool deal all the way around. Steve Largent handled that debacle with a lot more class than most folks would have.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3fitqw0b said:
Yea, that's why you see very few 'Hawks fans, and fewer still old time 'Hawks fans sporting a #80 Rice jersey. It was a pretty uncool deal all the way around. Steve Largent handled that debacle with a lot more class than most folks would have.

How many Franco Harris Hawks jerseys have you seen?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
The worse thing about it is seahawks fans having a 80 rice. That's is so wrong on so many levels

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I've seen a couple at games. Wearing a #80 Seahawks jersey without Largent on the back is sacrilege.

HawkWow

Reaction score
That's not the way I heard it. The story has been, apparently up until now, that Whitless told Rice he'd have to ask Largent. Largent, supposedly taken a back by Rice's classless request, said "Go ahead...I'm running for office and have bigger things on my mind right now". And Rice ran with that. Regardless, Rice was classless no matter how you look at it and so was our org. Both Easley and Largent disrespected by our Seattle Seahawks. Thank the baby Jesus for Mr. Allen. It's not always been pretty.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I genuinely dont get this retiring a number lark. Seems so utterly silly.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":73sey70w said:
Imagine someone other than Michael Jordan wearing 23 on the back of a Bulls uniform.

That would be utterly silly.

No difference.

Cartire

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3qn7lc7x said:
UK_Seahawk":3qn7lc7x said:
Imagine someone other than Michael Jordan wearing 23 on the back of a Bulls uniform.

No difference.

Nope there is no difference. Im with UK. I honor the number retirements (as if I have a choice) but couldnt care less.

If someone else wore 23 on the bulls, that wouldnt make anything MJ did, any less special. The problem with retiring numbers, is eventually youll retire to many, and need to unretire numbers just so you have enough. OR theyll have to start using fractions.

Numbers are only there for easy identification of players while on the field. ITs not a magical thing here.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
HawkWow":3flmvdyz said:
That's not the way I heard it. The story has been, apparently up until now, that Whitless told Rice he'd have to ask Largent. Largent, supposedly taken a back by Rice's classless request, said "Go ahead...I'm running for office and have bigger things on my mind right now". And Rice ran with that. Regardless, Rice was classless no matter how you look at it and so was our org. Both Easley and Largent disrespected by our Seattle Seahawks. Thank the baby Jesus for Mr. Allen. It's not always been pretty.

Your version is what I had heard too until I saw the Largent interview with Florio. He said both he and Rice were basically duped and neither he nor Rice had made the request for Rice to wear #80.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":xgcg7bsl said:
They're both in the ring of honor and one is an HOFer. I'm sure they feel 'disrespected' by some silly number.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2p55r4go said:
UK_Seahawk":2p55r4go said:

No difference.
How so? The only thing silly about it is wringing hands about a number. The challenge is to live up to that number. If they fall short, that further accentuates and reiterates the greatness.

The distinction is in the name; not the number.

Throwdown

Reaction score
From what I've read Easley (I wasn't old enough to remember it, I was only 2 months old at the time) was royally screwed over by the Seahawks.

OrFan

Reaction score
Whitless did a lot of things wrong, thank goodness he is long gone and is now replaced by the best GM in football. The Seahawks are so different now than they were before. This is the great team and overall organization we all hoped for year after year while putting up with those losers we had.

HawkWow

Reaction score
seabowl":pdzi3pyn said:
HawkWow":pdzi3pyn said:

Your version is what I had heard too until I saw the Largent interview with Florio. He said both he and Rice were basically duped and neither he nor Rice had made the request for Rice to wear #80.

Then I appreciate the correction. I still think Rice is a douche, though...but I would think that even had he not worn #80. A friend called me from Bellingham last night and was asking me how I felt about Hawaii losing the pro-bowl. I told him I am more concerned about any loose change I may lose in my couch. The Pro bowl has been a joke for far too long and now that Rice has his egomaniacal self attached into it...aloha, don't let the surf hit you in the 80.

I do feel bad for the players (and I will now meet even fewer) but Hawaii will not miss the Pro bowl...oh...with the exception of 9er fans here. They will undoubtedly miss their demi-God, Jerry Rice...and that... just... tears me up. ; )

godawg

Reaction score
Only good thing I could say about "Trader Bob" Whitsett is that he might have been a better Sonics GM than Wally Walker, who brought us Jim McIlvaine and other over-priced mediocre white centers. On the other hand, if memory serves me well, Whitsett traded away Scottie Pippin for who? Bob Whitsett is a bad memory from the dark days of this franchise.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkWow":y0tevgu8 said:
seabowl":y0tevgu8 said:
HawkWow":y0tevgu8 said:

Then I appreciate the correction. I still think Rice is a douche, though...but I would think that even had he not worn #80. A friend called me from Bellingham last night and was asking me how I felt about Hawaii losing the pro-bowl. I told him I am more concerned about any loose change I may lose in my couch. The Pro bowl has been a joke for far too long and now that Rice has his egomaniacal self attached into it...aloha, don't let the surf hit you in the 80.

I do feel bad for the players (and I will now meet even fewer) but Hawaii will not miss the Pro bowl...oh...with the exception of 9er fans here. They will undoubtedly miss their demi-God, Jerry Rice...and that... just... tears me up. ; )

12 cents eh??? :mrgreen:

I think Rice would have been better off in an 82 shirt. T-shirt. :mrgreen: