How the Seahawks were saved from California’s clutches

Jville

Reaction score
2022132739.jpg

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2022126162_seahawks27xml.html[/urltargetblank]

Hawknballs

Reaction score
also the font on this site is funny sometimes, I was like, who's the dutchess of california again?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good find. Paul Allen DID save the Hawks from leaving..... That's why it was so gratifying watch him hoist the Lombardi Trophy, he more than earned that honor! :retard_clap:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3f1f1vh7 said:
Good find. Paul Allen DID save the Hawks from leaving..... That's why it was so gratifying watch him hoist the Lombardi Trophy, he more than earned that honor! :retard_clap:

And he can raise the 12man flag anytime. :D

HawkWow

Reaction score
I can't even bring myself to open the link. Just reading the thread title got my blood boiling (all over again). A friend of mine here in Hawaii is a developer.. mainly resorts. We get talking and he says "I've been doing some business with the old owner of the Seahawks...I was on his private plane with him last week". I ask Ken Behring? And he says "yes". I told him even though he's an old pal, I would have been ecstatic had the plane crashed.

I am so happy Mr. Allen is making bank with this team. I had to wipe the tears from my eyes at the 05 NFC CG when he rose the flag, and I wasn't alone. Hundreds if not thousands of men in attendance were doing everything possible to hold back the tears. Those are the real Hawk fans, IMO. If it could happen to Cleveland, it sure could have happened to us. **** *** Behring! Look at us now. Go Hawks!

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
I still live down in So Cal and was at the training facility protesting with other hawks who flew down from Seattle. It was crazy and we made the local news. Go Hawks!!

camdawg

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I was given Ken Behring's autobiography as a gag gift. I probably shouldn't have been, but I was blown away by the narcissism. A complete lack of any self blame for why his time in Seattle went so poorly.

He most certainly didn't mention getting rid of well respected Mike McCormick as our GM, only to replace him with Kelly Stouffer's agent, Mike Blatt. Just the idea is insane....can you imagine an NFL team getting rid of a solid GM, and hiring Drew Rosenhaus as his replacement? And of course, Ken certainly didn't mention Blatt being in serious trouble, just a couple of weeks into his tenure.

And who does he hire to replace Blatt? The former head honcho of the Raiders, the team we hated the most of all of them. Can you imagine Jerry Jones or Jeff Lurie hiring Joe Gibbs to be their GM?

Dan McGwire did have one amazing college game against the Miami Hurricanes. Still, to overrule Chuck Knox, and not take Brett Favre.....just a horrific decision.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Behring is going to be reincarnated as Bozo The Clown...........it'll be his second lifetime in that role.

Thank you again Paul for all you did to keep the team the SEATTLE Seahawks.

Dreo

Reaction score
Great read thanks for sharing.
I found this stat at the bottom of the article to be particularly interesting:

Value of Franchise
1996: $200 million
2013: $1.081 billion

Msfann

Reaction score
1.081 billion before winning it all. I wonder how much the value went up after that.

The 1.081 billion number was from August 2013.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great article. Well worth the read for any 12's. So many players, what a chess match. Thank you Paul.

Side note, as much as we will always despise Behring, it's interesting that he has turned to a life of purpose and good in recent years.

TAB420

Reaction score
On Feb. 2, 1996, Behring made those intentions official: He would load up the team’s equipment in vans and move the Seahawks to California.

Why is that date Feb 2, seem so familiar? I'm sure its nothing...lol

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawk news is very slow in June. So .... I thought bumping this excellent Seattle Times article from June of 2014 would help fill in the dead air and provide some important Seahawk History for 12s everywhere.

How the Seahawks were saved from California’s clutches by Jayson Jenks ... Seattle Times staff reporter >>> [urltargetblank]http://old.seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2022126162_seahawks27xml.html[/urltargetblank]

2022132739.jpg
Illustration by Rich Boudet / The Seattle Times

Ken Behring, top left, owned the Seahawks starting in 1988 but sold them to Paul Allen, right, aided by locals including Gary Locke, center, and Bob Whitsitt, bottom right

two dog

Reaction score
One of the things that I hold against Behring was his installing his kid as GM.

Jerry Jones little fauntleroy was at least raised around football people.
David Behring's only qualification was that he was the boss's kid.

Maulbert

Reaction score
One thing I do find interesting is that apparently Behring was going to leave the Hawks history, name, and colors behind in Seattle, according to this article:

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-02-04/sports/sp-32247_1_ken-behring

There's a chance that if things hadn't worked out, we might've been able to piggyback on the Cleveland deal and gotten the Hawks back in a couple years. Imagine an NFL without the Texans, a bitter rivalry between the Hawks and an LA team that used to be us, and the Rams never go back to LA because there's no vacancy! That'd be weird.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well this opens up my eyes a bit more

Southern California partner, and he said he will concentrate his efforts on the entertainment industry here, including the Walt Disney Co.

Who owns ESPN, guess we know that they have a bit of a grudge against us for a reason, as far as the name I remember Black Hawks being brought up to copy his Business.