TE DAVIS (30)
G SNYDER (32)
DT SMITH (34)
LB BROOKS (30)
LB COSTANZO (30)
S VENTRONE (31)
PK DAWSON (39)
P LEE (31)

*Not to mention the seven players who are 29yr old.
(HAWKS)

DT MCDANIEL (29)
DT MEBANE (29)

(49ERS)

DT STALEY (29)
DT MCDONALD (29)
LB WILLIS (29)
S BETHEA (29)
S DAHL (29)

Bottom line: It seems like the 9ers are getting older while the Hawks are getting younger.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Id be surprised if Harwell was on the the final 53, especially with all these young LB's stepping up.

Throwdown

Reaction score
That would be kind of expected, I mean we JUST got out of the rebuilding mode. Its part of the reason why we have this potential dynasty thing attached to the team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RB GORE (31) - Have Hyde, Lattimore, Hunter, and James waiting in the wings
WR BOLDIN (33) - Patton and Ellington being groomed for that spot. Also traded for Stevie Johnson
WR LLOYD (32) - Initially didn't think he'd have much of a shot at making the team, but has looked good.
WR OSGOOD (34) - Special Teams player. He or Lloyd make it...not both.
TE DAVIS (30) - This is one spot where they need to groom someone. Can McDonald be that guy?
G SNYDER (32) - Probably won't make the team with influx of draftees and Jonathan Martin
DT SMITH (34) - Drafted Tank Carradine to take that spot and a few other later rounders with upside (Dial, Ramsey, Lynch). We'll see.
LB BROOKS (30) - Corey Lemonier being groomed behind him. Again, we'll see.
LB COSTANZO (30) - Just resigned...Special teamer.
S VENTRONE (31) - Special Teamer.
PK DAWSON (39) - Not sure how many more years he has
P LEE (31) - 31 isn't really old for a punter.

Bottom line...certainly some age there and some concern, but 49ers are certainly aware of it and have been addressing those positions for 2 years now. We'll see how good those players end up being.

Brahn

Reaction score
Marvin49":hdripv2d said:
WR BOLDIN (33) - Patton and Ellington being groomed for that spot. Also traded for Stevie Johnson
WR LLOYD (32) - Initially didn't think he'd have much of a shot at making the team, but has looked good.
TE DAVIS (30) - This is one spot where they need to groom someone. Can McDonald be that guy?
G SNYDER (32) - Probably won't make the team with influx of draftees and Jonathan Martin
DT SMITH (34) - Drafted Tank Carradine to take that spot and a few other later rounders with upside (Dial, Ramsey, Lynch). We'll see.

Bottom line...certainly some age there and some concern, but 49ers are certainly aware of it and have been addressing those positions for 2 years now. We'll see how good those players end up being.

I agree there is a plan in place just need the pieces to pan out. Surprised with how old of a DB core you guys may have to run out there.

Besides Reed are there any proven young players in the backfield?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I ask this in all seriousness, Marvin, and mean no offense:

How many games into 2014 before Gore is benched / unofficially retired?

Frankly, and I'm not 9er hating here at all, but I'd *cut Gore and his contract loose now. Gore was a great one and still a threat to break one now and again, but he no longer scares me. Hunter and James don't scare me. Hyde on his own doesn't scare me. But the 1, 2 punch of Lattimore and Hyde scares the bejesus out of me. Just curious what your fan base thinks about Gore and the RB position going forward?

* IF Lattimore's knee is in fact 100%, as reports suggest.

hawks509

Reaction score
None of the receivers you listed as being groomed to replace Boldin will provide anything close to Boldin. Boldin is a special breed, one of the few physical receivers left. Stevie Johnson is far from physical. Just my opinion

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawks509":38y9ph40 said:
None of the receivers you listed as being groomed to replace Boldin will provide anything close to Boldin. Boldin is a special breed, one of the few physical receivers left. Stevie Johnson is far from physical. Just my opinion

I think you make an excellent point re Boldin, but I think the answer to replacing him lies in your post. You can't. As you suggested, he's a throwback. And actually, more than a throwback, as there never has been too many receivers as physical as Anquan Boldin. So you don't even try to replace him with a similar WR.

It would be akin to us trying to replace Marshawn with the next Marshawn. Which would actually be easier to do considering the primadonna world of WRs, imo.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tank is a cool name too but the odds of him having anywhere near the impact Justin Smith has or has had is probably 1000-1. I remember when we were all excited waiting for Big Red Bryant to get into the D-line rotation and when he did he sucked for his first few years and if not for Quinn converting him to DE he would have been out of our system years ago.

Tank is just another rookie at this point and if he is even a good starter you should be happy. Just plugging guys in doesn't make them all pro's. They actually have to play and prove something, not to mention stay healthy and that is why you haven;t seen him yet.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Marvin49":2co4znzt said:

Not trying to pick a fight, but IMHO, none of the current replacements will come close to filling the shoes of Gore, Smith, VD, nor Boldin. I say there is a drop off at every one of those positions.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't want to be one of those people but I cannot help it...

1) Michael Robinson is not under contract with the Seattle Seahawks and PC said they moved on.

2) Its Heath FARWELL not "Harwell".

Carry On.

Seahawks were the 4th youngest team in the NFL last season.

49ers, IIRC, were the 7th oldest.

Seahawks also lost/cut a lot of older players:

Browner
Clemons
Bryant
McQuistan
Giacomini
Robinson

All between 29 (this year)-32 years old.

And only added: Kevin Williams.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2e070ruz said:

Two years eh? It only took a decade of top 11 picks to get where they are now...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":mn81vozj said:
Marvin49":mn81vozj said:

Two years eh? It only took a decade of top 11 picks to get where they are now...

That's really the thing I see and don't understand how no 49ers fans seem to understand. The previous regime with the benefits of picking in the beginning of the first round for years brought in some unbelievable talent. Then add in some very smart GMing by McCloughan and Harbaugh walked into a team with Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Ahmad Brooks, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore and Navaro Bowman. Imagine what Pete Carroll could have done with that group.

They also had guys like Goldson, Whitner and Delanie Walker who are now gone. Those guys weren't super stars but they are proving hard to replace. Reid has been technically as good as Goldson but has already had two concussions and is obviously not built for the smash mouth style of play Goldson brought and Vance McDonald has been a huge step back from Walker. They are hoping to replace Whitner but it is very likely their next strong safety will be another downgrade.

Justin Smith is probably their most important defensive player as we seen in 2012 when he was injured in the NE game and the entire defense went to crap and he turned 35 in April. Gore has been the heart and sole of that offense and turns 31 before the first preseason game. Boldin is 34 and very important to that offense and Goodwin their center is being replaced by Kilgore (IIRC), their secondary is being held together with bubble gum and happy thoughts, on and on.

I know they have their rose colored glasses on but that is a ton of talent to replace and those replacements will be the future of the Niners organization. They pretty much need to hit on every pick as if they were still picking 7th overall but the problem is they are not and age is creeping up on them at a fairly rapid rate.

If you listen to a Niner fan he will point out that the age difference is only about 2.5 years on average but he is ignoring the talent that is carrying that team is what is dragging that age barrier down and the guys who are helping it have yet to replace any of the starters at a similar level.

Since they have been picking late in the draft they have found one starter in Reid and they had to package multiple picks to move up in the draft to get him and he is still not yet an upgrade over Goldson and will never have the physical presence Goldson did. Sure they have guys waiting in the wings just like every team in the NFL but if you believe any Niner fan theirs are by far the best and it's not even debatable.

OP
OP
GLOCKHAWK

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2b75q5q9 said:
I'm sorry, I don't want to be one of those people but I cannot help it...

1) Michael Robinson is not under contract with the Seattle Seahawks and PC said they moved on.

2) Its Heath FARWELL not "Harwell".

Good catch bro.
1) I still thought M-Rob was still on the roster per ESPN. They (ESPN) needs to refresh the info more recently ha!
2) I "hand typed" this post so I hope you can forgive my spelling error.

Giedi

Reaction score
There have been some old teams that have won superbowls. I think the 1976 Raiders were one of the older teams. Conversely you can also say that cutting older players, you also lose experience. :34853_tinfoil:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed since winning the Super Bowl is fewer 49ers fans saying things like "Well you guys needed your mid/late-round draft picks to start, it's harder to crack the starting spots on the superior 49ers roster."

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Marvin49":38ti4ubo said:
Seems like plenty of talent in the stables
I forgot about that! This'll be an underrated move by Baalke I think-
Probably yes but still surprised there isn't more of an open competition for this spot.
DT SMITH (34) - Drafted Tank Carradine to take that spot and a few other later rounders with upside (Dial, Ramsey, Lynch). We'll see. Yes, we will.
LB BROOKS (30) - Corey Lemonier being groomed behind him. Again, we'll see.MAN last years draft was good for the niners...

Are you satisfied how the team has addressed the defensive backfield? Seems like that might be your weakest spot.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkWow":1vo22jaw said:
I ask this in all seriousness, Marvin, and mean no offense:

How many games into 2014 before Gore is benched / unofficially retired?

Frankly, and I'm not 9er hating here at all, but I'd *cut Gore and his contract loose now. Gore was a great one and still a threat to break one now and again, but he no longer scares me. Hunter and James don't scare me. Hyde on his own doesn't scare me. But the 1, 2 punch of Lattimore and Hyde scares the bejesus out of me. Just curious what your fan base thinks about Gore and the RB position going forward?

* IF Lattimore's knee is in fact 100%, as reports suggest.

No need to cut the contract. He's in the final year.

To be honest, I keep expecting him to slow down...and he has, but not nearly as quickly as I'd expected. I think Hyde and/or Lattimore will get a lot of playing time in order to keep Frank fresh late into the season.

He's not the same guy he was...nobody is at that position when they are 31. He is still possibly the best pass protector in the NFL from that spot. If he starts really slow, I can see him going to a more 3rd down type position where I think he'd be deadly. Fresh legs, good receiver, great blocker.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":t8fvpov1 said:
Tank is a cool name too but the odds of him having anywhere near the impact Justin Smith has or has had is probably 1000-1. I remember when we were all excited waiting for Big Red Bryant to get into the D-line rotation and when he did he sucked for his first few years and if not for Quinn converting him to DE he would have been out of our system years ago.

Tank is just another rookie at this point and if he is even a good starter you should be happy. Just plugging guys in doesn't make them all pro's. They actually have to play and prove something, not to mention stay healthy and that is why you haven;t seen him yet.

Well of course there are no guarantees. Just sayin' they've been planning for that day.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawkscrazy":2rugtbb7 said:
Marvin49":2rugtbb7 said:
Seems like plenty of talent in the stables
I forgot about that! This'll be an underrated move by Baalke I think-
Probably yes but still surprised there isn't more of an open competition for this spot.
DT SMITH (34) - Drafted Tank Carradine to take that spot and a few other later rounders with upside (Dial, Ramsey, Lynch). We'll see. Yes, we will.
LB BROOKS (30) - Corey Lemonier being groomed behind him. Again, we'll see.MAN last years draft was good for the niners...

Are you satisfied how the team has addressed the defensive backfield? Seems like that might be your weakest spot.

Not entirely, but the team really seems to like Brock and Culliver.