Practice squad ?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
How many players can you keep on the squad and what type of player do you think we should keep there?
Example...1 qb, 2 OT, 2 DE....and I dont know how many...

Hawknballs

Reaction score
PS is usually 8 as far as I know. for player makeup it probably depends more on who you can sign than positions. THere are some other rules to consider as well, for example a player can't be placed on a practice squad if he's been active for more than six NFL games, and a player can't be on the practice squad more than two seasons, three if the team never has less than 53 active players in that time.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So....to put this nicely, How many more hot dog vendors do we need for each game? LOL
(yes I went there.) :mrgreen:

The Radish

Reaction score
Wasn't the practice squad 6 for years and then just changed recently to 8?

Not sure here, but it seems that way to me.

:les:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
new CBA might have changed it to 8 i guess.

IMHO they should have a PS 'cap' and allow teams to have as many guys on it as they can afford. if it gives guys careers as practice squad bodies who cares, not sure who that hurts.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There were some teams that made some nice finds on our practice squad last year.

I imagine it will be the same this year.

Our PS is going to get raided. Hopefully we don't lose the preseason favorites (for me last year wasn't it Michael Brooks?).

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":31rz9k71 said:
How many players can you keep on the squad and what type of player do you think we should keep there?
Example...1 qb, 2 OT, 2 DE....and I dont know how many...
The practice squad maximum is 8, though teams are not required to carry that many as PS salaries (as tiny as they are) also count against the overall salary cap.

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, the primary utility for the practice squad is not as a long-term developmental vehicle for certain players, vis-à-vis a quasi "farm system." That's why the notion of pre-determining the # of specific position players ("1 qb, 2 OT, 2 DE" as the OP exampled) is something teams simply do not do. The primary utility for the PS is to supplement the active roster to stay 'on balance' based on the number of players a team may currently be carrying at various positions on its roster, as well as in response to weekly injuries to active roster players, and for scout team purposes for that week's upcoming opponent. That's why you see so many players rotating in and out of the PS on a weekly basis (sometimes 3-4 per week). That's also why it's called the 'practice' squad and not the 'developmental' squad or some synonymous term, and was the genesis for its original creation many years ago (for practice purposes when teams inevitably developed injuries during the course of a season).

For example, a team may choose to carry a 'mobile/running' QB (ex: a BJ Daniels type) on their PS at a given time because....A) they only have 2 QB's on their active roster and they want to insure that they have a 3rd in reserve who is practicing with the team in the event of an injury......or B) they have 3 QB's on the active roster but 2 of them are dealing with new injuries.....or C) they're playing the Seahawks and 49ers in back-to-back weeks and they want to have a mobile running QB to use as their scout team QB for the next couple of weeks. Similarly a team may choose to release that QB from their PS because their active QB's got healthy and so that they can add a 340-pound NT like Dwayne Cherrington to their PS that week as they're prepping to play a team that runs a traditional 3-4 defense and who has their own massive space-eating starting NT whom they want to mimic on the scout team.

None of this is to say that teams don't typically have a couple of players on their PS whom they are legitimately investing in for the long-haul, but again, the primary use of the PS is to be reactive to the week-to-week developments of the overall roster in terms of attrition (injury) and opponent prep.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
I agree that the practice squad is mostly for practice, especially since it has become so difficult for the Seahawks to get any players they can develop past waivers, but they also put a lot of importance on potential, on players who could possibly help them in the future.

Here's an excerpt from Seahawks.com from last fall asking the Seahawks Pro Personnel Director what they look for:

Now that we know who will start the first week of the regular season on the unit that works against the Seahawks’ starters in practice, let’s find out what it is the team looks for when signing a player to the practice squad.

“Basically, one redeeming quality,” Trent Kirchner, the Seahawks’ director of pro personnel, said prior to Saturday’s roster cuts.

“You’re looking for a young guy who’s got anything we can develop. If it’s a cornerback, you’re looking for someone who has really good feet or really good speed. On the line, it’s the size you want in a guard or tackle, but someone who needs to either get stronger or came from a smaller program.

“It’s just anything that stands out.”

While the coaches have spent the summer determining which of the 90 players who began training camp can play of the Seahawks, Kirchner and assistant director of pro personnel Dan Morgan have been looking at other teams during the preseason in an attempt to find someone with “one redeeming quality.”

I can think of only a few current players who were on the practice squad and went on to significant playing time:

Jermaine Kearse
Derrick Coleman
L Jeanpierre
Mike Morgan
Michael Brooks
D'Anthony Smith
Bryan Walters

It would have been a disaster if we had lost Kearse when he was exposed, but we could have lived with losing any of the others.

It's also true that the Seahawks are so good that most of the decent players who don't make the 53-man roster or get put on IR are going to get plucked by other teams. Players that I can think of who were lost in 2013:

Chris Harper
Jaye Howard
Guy Benjamin
John Lotulei
Ron Parker
Sean McGrath
Allen Bradford
Ryan Seymour
Ty Powell
Rishaw Johnson

It broke my heart to lose so much good talent. (I really liked Ty Powell.) it's going to be worse this year because we won the Super Bowl, and we are deeper.

Knowing they are going to lose so many good players, you would think the Hawks could, for example, go for fewer higher quality players instead of going for so many bodies, but I think Carroll knows what he is doing. The exodus doesn't bother him:

“We know that our guys will go onto other teams and play. We know that and we are proud of that, Really, to John’s credit, he called this a long time ago. He said that, ‘There will come a time, we don’t know how many years that it will take, when the roster will be so deep that every cut will be difficult and that every guy that we cut will be picked up by any team.’ And, we are getting close to that. It’s a good thing. It’s just hard and its emotional and all that. So we are treating it with great respect.”

It's hard and it's emotional and for the players who are lost, it's a lot of wasted effort by the coaches and trainers that could have been applied to other players; but overall, Carroll knows that by evaluating so many players he's going to come up with more than his share of diamonds in the rough.