Who will cover the Slot?

Largent80

Reaction score
Thurmond is gone.
Lane is a little light in weight, and Simon seems to fit more on the outside, so who do you think covers the slot this year?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lane played well as the inside slot corner during Walter Thurmond's suspension. He had a positive grade during that stretch. Both Lane and Thurmond are listed at 190 lbs, but Lane is a couple inches taller. I would argue Lane is even more physical than Thurmond. Size is not as critical for a slot corner as agility and quick instincts. Lane's short shuttle, vertical, and overall SPARQ are superior to any corner we have on the roster.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Antoine Winfield!

Oh wait, that was last year.

Lane is probably the best option, although I agree I am not sold he can hold up over the full season there.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
I would bet Simon starts. He would likely be CB3 on the outside after Sherman and Maxwell. Lane does have more experience but Simon has blown up OTAs and minicamp so far

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Weird, Danny Kelly said the exact same thing...

Lane is light and Simon seemingly would be a better fit.

Uhmm.. no... the best man will win no matter his size... Lane can handle his own inside or out. Lane's also longer, more athletic, and just as physical as Thurmond.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Right at this moment I would say Lane from his experience alone. Simon appears to be fast and athletic, which is obviously more suited at CB.

kearly

Reaction score
Usually the slot corner job is simply given to the third best corner. Simon is a good athlete, I'm guessing he could handle slot duty, and Lane's coverage ability is average at best. Lane probably has the inside track, but Simon could definitely win the job with a strong preseason.

Even if Lane ends up a 4th corner, he'll still provide huge value on specials.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Carroll said Lane was the guy who jumped out to lead that competition so far

Hawks46

Reaction score
I can't remember if it was Hawkblogger or Fieldgulls, but they had an interesting theory:

Maxwell covers the slot. If Simon gets better and better, and seriously pushes Maxwell for time, then it would be best to get him on the field as much as possible. Simon is better suited to the outside (I'm guessing this assumption is based on Simon's physical measurables, although he has VERY good hips for his size and speed), so they slide Maxwell inside.

Keep in mind, Maxwell beat Lane out a while back for the slot WR when Thurmond moved outside to cover for Browner. Maxwell did great in the slot and that set the ground work for where he is now.

So, it's possible that we see Sherman and Maxwell in 2 WR sets, then Sherman, Simon on the outsides with Maxwell sliding inside to cover the slot.

So we'd have 6'3", 6'3" and 6'1" on the field as CBs. Sick.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":iuuormy2 said:
Antoine Winfield!

Oh wait, that was last year.

Lane is probably the best option, although I agree I am not sold he can hold up over the full season there.
What makes you say that?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":g7nn8zlm said:
Keep in mind, Maxwell beat Lane out a while back for the slot WR when Thurmond moved outside to cover for Browner. Maxwell did great in the slot and that set the ground work for where he is now.

I believe Thurmond would kick inside as the slot CB whenever Maxwell entered the game. So, in nickel, it'd be Sherman and Maxwell on the outside and Thurmond on the inside. Could be wrong.

umadbrolob

Reaction score
I believe Maxwell at the end of the da. But Phillip Adams and AJ Jefferson will duke it out in preseason, with Lane, for snaps as well.

General Manager

Reaction score
Lane is a better player than some of you have indicated. He simply hasn't played a lot but every time I've seen him start he's played well so I guess I disagree that he's just an average corner, I'd take over a lot of corners that are starting in the NFL. He's not as good as Maxwell or Sherman but Simon hasn't done anything yet to elevate him over Lane, maybe he will but we haven't seen it yet.