Shaun Alexander: Everybody's All-American

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
alexander1.jpg

Shaun Alexander's mind was blank. Face down, with only his facemask protecting him from the turf, he couldn't think of anything at all. All the excitement and pressure that weighed on an entire city had gone away, and now there was nothing. Only Alexander, the turf and the voices of a few trainers. In the biggest game of his professional career, Alexander found himself unable to continue. After promising the Seattle Seahawks that he would take them to the promised land, Alexander was on the brink of doing just that but found himself facedown, knocked out, finished for the day. It marked the first time in Alexander's career that he felt hopeless. With his engaging giggle and his wide, gap-toothed smile, Alexander always gave off a shrug no matter how hard the times would get. Just about every time Alexander needed to back up his words, he proved to be up for the task. He played his best in nationally televised games, he showed a remarkable nose for the end zone, and he helped carry the Seahawks from pretenders to contenders in his first few years in the league. But when it finally came time for Alexander to deliver on that promise by giving the Seahawks a chance to go to their first Super Bowl, in the first round of the 2005 NFL playoffs, a concussion ended his day early and forced Alexander to rely on others. This time, someone else would have to carry the load.

It's fairly long, so read the rest here:
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201109 ... /709139999

[youtube]BXttr6qph80[/youtube]

sc85sis

Reaction score
It might be because I'm on my phone, but I'm getting a "this article is no longer available" message.

Edit: It's the phone. Their mobile site must be limiting access to only certain content.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I loved Shaun and his vision with the football in his hand was second to none. It's too bad this thread will turn into a "he was soft", "anyone could run behind that o-line", "he faked the concussion", bash fest of a Seahawk great.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
One of my favorite Seahawks of all time. Proudly wear his jersey on game days.

Glad he raised a 12th Man Flag this past year.

drrew

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1s6vb2cy said:
I'll just say this, SA is one of the reasons I love Lynch so much!

Love Marshawn, but he can only wish in his dreams that he could do some of the things Shaun Alexander did.

266 yards in one game.
5 touchdowns in one half including an 80 yard reception.
All time team leader in rushing yards
Single season team leader in rushing yards
All time team leader in touchdowns
Single season team leader in touchdowns
6th in NFL history with most 100 yard games in one season
2nd in NFL history with most TD's in one season
7th in NFL in career rushing touchdowns

Marshawn might be the most exciting running back I've ever seen in a Seahawks uniform, but Shaun Alexander was the best the team has ever had.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
drrew":12mdkxlg said:
Sports Hernia":12mdkxlg said:
I'll just say this, SA is one of the reasons I love Lynch so much!

Love Marshawn, but he can only wish in his dreams that he could do some of the things Shaun Alexander did.

266 yards in one game.
5 touchdowns in one half including an 80 yard reception.
All time team leader in rushing yards
Single season team leader in rushing yards
All time team leader in touchdowns
Single season team leader in touchdowns
6th in NFL history with most 100 yard games in one season
2nd in NFL history with most TD's in one season
7th in NFL in career rushing touchdowns

Marshawn might be the most exciting running back I've ever seen in a Seahawks uniform, but Shaun Alexander was the best the team has ever had.

I loved Alexander. That being said Lynch has never had a good offensive line so we have no clue what he could do. Alexander became a master at running left.

chawx

Reaction score
Marshawn's head would explode if he could run through some of the holes Jones, Hutch, and Mack Strong created for Alexander on that left-side. I have no doubt Shaun was great and he took full advantage of having some of the best blockers in the history of the game to help him rack up those Godly stats... but which dude was all 'bout that action and got us a ring? I loved Alexander as much as anyone, but Lynch is who I would pick to be the RB if I was to pick an "all-time" best Seahawks team.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Shaun's personality and lack of enthusiasm for blocking rubbed me the wrong way, but when he was on his game he was as good as almost anyone and gave us a helluva lot to cheer for. I have also heard that he was not always popular in the locker room. With all that said, I was happy to see him get a warm response when he raised the 12 Flag last year. All my bad feelings are in the past. He was a Seahawk.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I liked the way SA ran, but the man would go down if someone looked in his direction. Probably why I love Marshawn even more.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I love what Marshawn, Max Strong, John L. and Curt Warner brought when they were on the field... toughness that help define the personality of the team.

While very talented and productive, Shaun didn't bring that. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.

warden

Reaction score
4 of the top 6 playoff games by a running back for the Seahawks are held by Lynch.

When the going gets tough the tough get going. You just can rely on Lynch

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Marshawn puts the team on his back. Alexander, when things were good he was great. When there was a need to create something from nothing he folded like a lawn chair. I cheered like hell for Shaun but I didnt care for his style on or off the field.

baumer64

Reaction score
In so many ways, comparing Lynch to Alexander is comparing apples to oranges. They are/were both very successful backs with completely different running styles. Alexander had that explosion through a hole especially when he had a sniff of the end zone but went down easily once contact was made. Watching the video, did you notice how many TDs Shaun made without even being touched. The line he had in 05 is the stuff of legend. I don't take anything away from him though. He still had great talent, had to make the correct reads and cuts. He will always be a favorite of mine.
Marshawn is a BEAST who does his best to score every time he touches the ball whether there's a hole or not. He likes the contact and likes dishing out punishment to defenders which was the opposite of Alexander. Lynch had come up very big in big games and like Shaun, will always be one of my favorite Seahawks.

Thanks for posting the video. Very cool to look back and see how dominant we were on Offense that year.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1yqxcpbl said:
I loved Shaun and his vision with the football in his hand was second to none. It's too bad this thread will turn into a "he was soft", "anyone could run behind that o-line", "he faked the concussion", bash fest of a Seahawk great.

If those that hold SA as the Seahawk's God send at RB don't want to hear the opposite opinion they should stop posting threads about him every couple of months.

Anybody who says SA was the most gifted athlete the Seahawks ever had at running back would probably be correct.

That being said, Lynch is twice the football player that SA was anytime the play didn't include a shot at the endzone and because of that I would take Lynch over SA every day of the week and 5 times on Sunday.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seanhawk":vf5h4iun said:

And it didn't take long.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Not long at all.

Almost as quick as a "stab in the back" while the rest of your team is celebrating an accomplishment.