Top 5 Seahawks RBs

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This is my top 5 RBs in Seahawks history. RB has always been my favorite position so I tend to focus on it a bit more. Perhaps it's because it's the position I played back in the day. This obviously doesn't make me an expert, it's just how I rank the top 5 in my heart and mind.

1. Curt Warner-the "land crab" had the ability to be one of the best ever if injuries hadn't shortened his career. At the top of his game, he was practically untackleable. I think it was Brian Millard who said
"Tackling him was like trying to sandpaper a bobcats ass in a phone booth"! When he was drafted chuck Knox immediately called him an impact player. Without warner, the team would not have experienced the level of success they reached in the 80's.

2. Shaun Alexander-he had such great vision and an innate ability to find the end zone. He was so smooth and effortless in his skill set that too many mistake his abilities as being soft. Shaun definately had "it" as a RB.

3. Marshawn Lynch-his beast quake run in 2010 is enough in itself to make this list. But what really puts him on this list is the toughness and consistency that he brings to the position. Where Warner would make you miss, and Alexander would run away from you, lynch doesn't need any of their moves. He will just run over and through a potential tackler.

4. John L. Williams-he is often the forgotten guy in Seahawks history. Probably because he was drafted as a FB and helped pave the way for Warner. But what many forget about him was that besides being a tremendous blocker, he was outstanding catching the ball out of the backfield. When injuries depleted the backfield in 86(?), John L, took over the feature back duties and performed at a very high level. This was a guy who truly could do it all.

5. Ricky Watters-This is where it got tough for me. Watters was a good back in the short time he played for the Seahawks. In someways I remember him as a kind of mini beast mode in his running style. I never completely warmed up to him in his position on the team, but I do have to give it to him on this list.

Honorable mention:
Chris Warren
Derrick Fenner
Sherman Smith
David Sims
*Mack Strong

*pure FBs were not considered in the compilation of this list.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Pretty solid list, though I'd put Warren on it instead of Ricky Watters and swap Marshawn with Shaun. I love Shaun Alexander, and I agree about his smooth field vision. But I felt he danced around a bit and never forced his way THROUGH the tough yards when holes weren't opening up. I think Alexander would never have been as good as Lynch if we replaced his top-tier, star-riddled O-line with our current one.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I like the list as is. You had me at "Tackling him was like trying to sandpaper a bobcats ass in a phone booth"!

JGreen79

Reaction score
I remember watters long run in the rain against the raiders, fumbling just before the end zone the raiders jumped on it and slid into the end zone for a safety. Without thst safety we likely lose the game.

drrew

Reaction score
1. Shaun Alexander - 2005 was one of the top 5 NFL seasons by a RB in history.
2. Curt Warner - Greatest rookie season by a Seahawk ever. Maybe 1A with Wilson in 2012 being 1B?
3. Marshawn Lynch - Most fun to watch carry for carry.
4. John L Williams - '88 and '90 were absolutely incredible seasons. 175 carries and 60+ receptions a year from a FB over a 4 or 5 year stretch is something probably never seen again.
5. Chris Warren - One of the most productive backs in the league in '94 and '95. Four straight 1k yard seasons, matched #1 on my list.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Lynch and its not really that close. Put Alexander behind the lines that Marshawn has run behind. I hate comparing that way but it is true. Put Marshawn behind Walt, Hutch etc and theres really no telling what he would have accomplished.

Shaun. The TDs make it impressive.

Warner. Knowing we could have had Mr Ed there makes me wonder.

Ricky Waters. Had he played his entire career here he would be my #2.

Chris Warren My earliest Hawk memories have him plowing through them.

kpak76

Reaction score
Good list, not the order I would put them in but solid none the less.

I would put it like this

1A Lynch
1B Warner
3 John L
4 Alexander
5A Warren
5B Strong

Mentionables

Waters (but he doesn't belong in the Hawks top 5 as he was more of a Eagle than a Hawk).
Fenner, Smith and Sims didn't play long enough and have an impact for me. Wow looking at that list, we really haven't had that many great backs. Imagine if Warner had a full career. Where would he be in the all time great list in the NFL?

seabowl

Reaction score
kpak76":1xuxb5bh said:
Good list, not the order I would put them in but solid none the less.

I would put it like this

1A Lynch
1B Warner
3 John L
4 Alexander
5A Warren
5B Strong

Mentionables

Waters (but he doesn't belong in the Hawks top 5 as he was more of a Eagle than a Hawk).
Fenner, Smith and Sims didn't play long enough and have an impact for me. Wow looking at that list, we really haven't had that many great backs. Imagine if Warner had a full career. Where would he be in the all time great list in the NFL?

Watters was more of a Niner than a Hawk or Eagle. As for Warren, he could not find the sideline fast enough.

Lynch
Alexander
Warner
Warren
Fenner

PS If they would have kept Ahman Green he would have been top 3-4.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like the list, but I'd swap Warren with Watters.

My dad and I called him Chris "one move" Warren because he only had one cut.

I met Warren, Mirer and one of the TE's that year in So. Cal in Laguna Beach when we thought we were losing the Hawks to LA.

I told Chris what we used to call him, and complimented him on getting a couple of other moves. He laughed and said "oh man, that aint right". I asked him what he did to improve, and said he watched a lot of tape of Barry Sanders.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
kpak76":bcdof7ff said:
Wow looking at that list, we really haven't had that many great backs. Imagine if Warner had a full career. Where would he be in the all time great list in the NFL?

I tend to disagree with this statement. From the expansion years of Sims and Sherman to Warner to Alexander to Lynch I have always felt that RB is a position that the Seahawks have been fairly fortunate with in their players. If the average career of the top 5 RBs on this list were 5 years that would be 25 put of 38 years with some pretty good backs. There have definately been far fewer years that this franchise didn't have a marque back than years they did.

The above statement would certainly be true for QBs but not RBs.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Shaun
Shawn
Curt
Chris
John L
Ricky
Sherman
Maurice

Ahman Green and Leonard Weaver probably could have been on this list.

My opinion.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's 5 only..Warner,Lynch,Alexander,Warren and Williams...Smith should be at bottom of list..

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
IndyHawk":2od3hqxk said:
It's 5 only..Warner,Lynch,Alexander,Warren and Williams...Smith should be at bottom of list..

There's so much more to talk about if we go past 5 though. Like how Maurice Morris is one of only 8 guys to rush for more than 2000 yards in a Seahawks uniform, effectively keeping Sherman Smith from being at the bottom of the list. I think that's worth talking about.

The Radish

Reaction score
Ricky Watters truly did have a career in San Francisco. Was one of the best backs in the league in those years.

Goes to Philly and has another great career during the years when they were almost at the top of the world.

Then comes to Seattle and damned if he isn't way better than average! He always wanted the ball and most times got the job done.

Watters was a damned fine running back and I salute his career and damned glad he spent part of it with the Seahawks.

:th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
What about Lawrence McCutcheon, Cullen Bryant, Horace Ivory, Franco Harris, hell we probably would have brought Jim Brown out of retirement if the season had lasted longer :)

I would go with Lynch, Warner, Watters Alexander,Warren.

Alexander wasn't tough enough or competitive enough to take the Job from Watters when he got here, says something about Alexander's desire and Heart I think.

drrew

Reaction score
chris98251":nqb1phz3 said:
Alexander wasn't tough enough or competitive enough to take the Job from Watters when he got here, says something about Alexander's desire and Heart I think.

Marshawn Lynch wasn't tough enough or competitive enough to stop Fred Jackson from taking his job in 2009. Says something about Lynch's desire and heart I think.

What I just typed is one of the dumbest thing's I've ever written, only topped by the nonsense I quoted.

Ricky Watters was coming off 5 straight 1000+ yard seasons (1500+ yards from scrimmage every season) going into Shaun Alexanders rookie season. In his rookie season, Watters went for 1200+ yards (1850+ yards from scrimmage). Knocking Alexander for not 'taking' the job away from him is asinine.

A year after Watters ran for 1200+ yards, Alexander was 'tough enough' and 'competitive enough' to become the starter, rush for 1300+ yards and take the #1 spot in team history for touchdowns in a season. Not touch enough or competitive enough my ass.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Alexander
Warner
Lynch (it's close, and if he has another 1000 yard year he will be #2 on my list)
Watters
Warren

chris98251

Reaction score
drrew":2radgnsj said:
chris98251":2radgnsj said:

Marshawn Lynch wasn't tough enough or competitive enough to stop Fred Jackson from taking his job in 2009. Says something about Lynch's desire and heart I think.

What I just typed is one of the dumbest thing's I've ever written, only topped by the nonsense I quoted.

Ricky Watters was coming off 5 straight 1000+ yard seasons (1500+ yards from scrimmage every season) going into Shaun Alexanders rookie season. In his rookie season, Watters went for 1200+ yards (1850+ yards from scrimmage). Knocking Alexander for not 'taking' the job away from him is asinine.

A year after Watters ran for 1200+ yards, Alexander was 'tough enough' and 'competitive enough' to become the starter, rush for 1300+ yards and take the #1 spot in team history for touchdowns in a season. Not touch enough or competitive enough my ass.

He was brought in to take the job to give us cap room, we ended up holding on to him a year longer, a first round pick that started to pout when he wasn't handed the job. This was before red shirting draft picks. 1st rounders were expected to be guys that contributed right away.

Granted I hated his style, much like Franco Harris, where Franco ran out of bounds Alexander perfected the falling fetal position and never saw a person that he could'nt whiff a block on.

Also it took Holmgren questioning his toughness and calling him out to light a fire under his butt.