McDaniel will replace Red Bryant at five technique - Carroll

Jville

Reaction score
Many already know this plan ...... but this helps fill the dead air during the break.

Pete Carroll said McDaniel will replace Red Bryant at five technique. That will be a smaller adjustment for him than last year, when he was playing three technique. McDaniel was often outside during his four seasons with the Miami Dolphins before coming to Seattle.

“A lot of people probably don’t know much about me and that I played there before,” McDaniel said. “I’ve got the body type — 6-7, 320. I definitely fit the body type to play end. It wasn’t a big deal to move out there.”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... more-25915#storylink=cpy
[urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/06/24/mcdaniel-ready-to-play-in-and-out/#more-25915[/urltargetblank]

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hmmm.

Is McDaniel a decent edge rusher so that on first downs, we can still get pressure from there? I also wonder if he will kick back inside on passing downs when Avril takes his place.

I'm also wondering if they feel they can do this because at least one of our DT prospects is showing that he can split time with Bennett at the 3-tech and be highly effective.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
He brings more wing span to the position to knock down passes. We saw that last year on the inside. He fits well on the quarterbacks throwing side.

Last year, McDaniel was certainly a valuable addition to their rotation. I'm wondering if they can get the size of their rotation up to eight defensive linemen.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":27laf9wt said:
Hmmm.

Is McDaniel a decent edge rusher so that on first downs, we can still get pressure from there? I also wonder if he will kick back inside on passing downs when Avril takes his place.

I'm also wondering if they feel they can do this because at least one of our DT prospects is showing that he can split time with Bennett at the 3-tech and be highly effective.

No McDaniel is not a decent edge rusher on first down, but that's not what the job entails. Bryant was a terrible pass rusher as well. The goal is to set the edge, and penetrate to stop run game he will do it as good or better than Red.

I can guarantee you McDaniel will have no part of passing downs.

My guess is that we will have two base sets- regular and jumbo.

Jumbo will be McDaniel, Mebane, Williams, and Bennett
Regular will be McDaneil, Mebane, Bennett, and Avril

Passing downs will be Irvin/Mayowa ,Scruggs, Bennett, and Avril

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hmmm. I had thought they would get away from that sacrificing pressure for a run-stuffing 5-tech on early downs thing a bit more for some reason, but I have no complaints. The coaching staff obviously knows what they are doing.

I'm sorry Red had to go, but if McDaniel is an upgrade and they save 3M in the process, that would be awesome.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
lukerguy":2es1ftkz said:
Smelly McUgly":2es1ftkz said:
Hmmm.

No McDaniel is not a decent edge rusher on first down, but that's not what the job entails. Bryant was a terrible pass rusher as well. The goal is to set the edge, and penetrate to stop run game he will do it as good or better than Red.

I don't think Irvin is ever really going to see time as a true end and more of a Joker/spinner/ blitzing WLB. I think passing downs are more likely:

Mayowa/Jeffcoat/Marsh, Scruggs, Bennett, Avril.

Or IIRC, Marsh has been playing a little 3-Tech as well so we might also see

Bennett, Scruggs, Marsh, Avril

I eagerly await the upcoming preseason games to overanalyze the performances of all of these guys for further rosterbatory fodder. :thirishdrinkers:

lukerguy

Reaction score
jdemps":2s48quwr said:
lukerguy":2s48quwr said:
Smelly McUgly":2s48quwr said:
Hmmm.

I don't think Irvin is ever really going to see time as a true end and more of a Joker/spinner/ blitzing WLB. I think passing downs are more likely:

Mayowa/Jeffcoat/Marsh, Scruggs, Bennett, Avril.

Or IIRC, Marsh has been playing a little 3-Tech as well so we might also see

Bennett, Scruggs, Marsh, Avril

I eagerly await the upcoming preseason games to overanalyze the performances of all of these guys for further rosterbatory fodder. :thirishdrinkers:

I really don't think anyone would take Bennett out of 3 tech- him and Avril have great chemistry on that side.

It's possible Irvin doesn't play the line, but from what I've read, he's pretty excited about getting back into a 3 point stance.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Tony McDaniel will do some damage at the 5-tech in the BIG front. Seattle uses its big man front of McDaniel,Mebane,K.Williams,and C. Avril to wear down the O-line/stop the run. Seattle wears the interior O-line down more than anything with that group in their and should make life easier for M. Bennett and Hill/Marsh on the interior in passion situations. McDaniel was throwing around guards and centers think of what he'll do lined up against a single TE/OT. McDaniels job is simple blow up the man in front of him to collapse that side of the pocket just as big RED did for so many years. McDaniel and K. Williams could be Seattle's version of Dockett and C. Campbell which we all know is a deadly combination.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hopefully, this officially ends the argument about the speculation of McDaniel moving to 5-Tech.

This is the third or fourth time Carroll has said and some here and elsewhere still don't want to believe it.

I think McDaniel is a more complete player than Bryant in terms of overall ability. I think if leave out the intangibles like leadership, McDaniel can be just as good if not better than Bryant.

McDaniel was with the Dolphins from '09 - '12. He played 54 of 64 possible games in which he made just 3 starts. In those 54 games, as a Dolphin, he had 7.0 sacks.

That in comparison to Red Bryant from '10-'13:

McDaniel (09-12): 54G/3S: 82 Tackles, 7.0 Sacks, 8 PD
Bryant(10-13): 54G/54S: 104 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks, 6 PD

Note that its a little uncanny. From Bryant to McDaniel its like you're losing a just a smidgen of Brick Wall Run Defender but adding x2 boost in Pass Rush Ability. Overall, more complete.

All in all, if Kevin Williams can revert back to his former 3T self or at least play as good at 3T as he played NT last season, the D-Line could most definitely be better than 2013 if health permits.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Again, the thinking here is far too static and things are getting blown out of proportion.

Go back before the Kevin Williams signing and you hear that Jesse W and Jordan Hill are trying to earn some time playing at 3 tech, but would have to take those reps from McDaniel. PC said this repeatedly.

Post Kevin Williams signing, you've heard that Kevin is predominantly a 3, but could play some 5. Now we're hearing that McDaniel will play 5

What is being overlooked is that Red wasn't on the field for every 1st and 2nd down, just like McDaniel and/or Kevin Williams won't be. The reason why Bennett played more snaps than anyone else is that he too played a lot of 5 tech in the base defense.

I don't think think year will be any different in terms of rotation. If McDaniel is indeed the base defense 5 that's all well and good, but he won't play all 1st and 2nd downs there. Bennett will take some of those reps depending on who we're playing. Furthermore, this story has changed so much that it's perfectly feasible it will change again.

Writers, reporters and various other media like to take things that sports people say and portray that it's written in stone by a magic staff that will never be removed for all eternity. That's not reality. Given how these veteran signings have gone in the past with the Seahawks, I can't, with any measure of confidence, say that Kevin Williams will even be on the team in September and that would directly change this story.

kf3339

Reaction score
lukerguy":184atxvm said:
Smelly McUgly":184atxvm said:
Hmmm.

I'm also interested in what we will get from Jessie Williams and Hill. Also where does Marsh fit in will be interesting to see.

That is 10 DL which is a full load: McDaniel, Mebane, Kevin Williams, Bennett, Avril, Mayowa, Scruggs, Jessie Williams, Hill and Marsh. It's going to be really hard for anyone else to even sniff making the 53 man roster for the DL group.