Autograph Signing Etiquette

drcool

Reaction score
Tonight down here in Jacksonville Cliff Avril will be doing an autograph signing at a local Chick Fil A. He is from the area and I guess will be promoting his foundation family fun day which will be in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I have never really been to an autograph signing like this (When I was a kid Daryl Turner was signing autographs in JC Penny at Southcenter and I stumbled upon that when I had to get a belt for a wedding later that day) so I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. I am really hoping he has his ring on. Would it make me a horrible person to ask to try it on?

2. If I do get to try it on and make a run for it do you think I would make it to the door before he tackled me?

3. Do they generally have pictures to sign? Should I bring an item of my own? What should I have him sign? Thinking an autograph on my 2 1/2 year old's belly would be appropriate. But then we would never get him in the bath again.

4. I don't have any Cliff Avril Seahawks gear. I do have a bunch of Super Bowl champs gear like flags, banners, pennants, etc. Do I want to keep that stuff pristine or have an autograph on it?

BTW, my 2 1/2 year old said Marshawn should come too and play on the slide with him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
You can ask to see it, but don't ask to touch it or put it on.

Many athletes know their going to be asked to see the ring so they generally wear it at these sorts of things.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
drcool":10ylt0gw said:
Tonight down here in Jacksonville Cliff Avril will be doing an autograph signing at a local Chick Fil A. He is from the area and I guess will be promoting his foundation family fun day which will be in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I have never really been to an autograph signing like this (When I was a kid Daryl Turner was signing autographs in JC Penny at Southcenter and I stumbled upon that when I had to get a belt for a wedding later that day) so I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. I am really hoping he has his ring on. Would it make me a horrible person to ask to try it on?

2. If I do get to try it on and make a run for it do you think I would make it to the door before he tackled me?

3. Do they generally have pictures to sign? Should I bring an item of my own? What should I have him sign? Thinking an autograph on my 2 1/2 year old's belly would be appropriate. But then we would never get him in the bath again.

4. I don't have any Cliff Avril Seahawks gear. I do have a bunch of Super Bowl champs gear like flags, banners, pennants, etc. Do I want to keep that stuff pristine or have an autograph on it?

BTW, my 2 1/2 year old said Marshawn should come too and play on the slide with him.

1) He'd probably laugh at you, and the worst thing he could do is say no (assuming u asked nicely).

2) uhh...im sure fans would grab u.

3) if its at a sports store, they generally have stuff to sell to get signed.

4) ur choice

OP
OP
D

drcool

Reaction score
90% of that post was made in jest. Living in Florida we get very few chances to see actual Seahawks at autograph signings like this so I am pretty geeked out.

dbmack

Reaction score
Sidney Rice let fans try his ring on. :)

Sidney Rice @sidneyrice · Jun 20
I might've let about 12 12s try on the ring last night. #mostamazingfans

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If it's to promote his foundation, then my guess is Cliff will have 8x10's or whatever for a small price for him to sign, as donations.......or he'll sign whatever you have and ask for a donation.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Ask Kaepernick on twitter what it feels like to be run down by Cliff from behind.

CANHawk

Reaction score
dbmack":jgsy9qoa said:

Sidney Rice might be one of the coolest dudes on the team. We’ve heard many stories about sid doing cool shit like this...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Only ask for autographs if it's for a little kid. If you are a grown up or a person looking to profit then don't ask. Simple.

OP
OP
D

drcool

Reaction score
Not looking for a profit at all. Just excited to personally congratulate one of the Seahawks on a great season.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2lizv80m said:
dbmack":2lizv80m said:

Sidney Rice might be one of the coolest dudes on the team. We’ve heard many stories about sid doing cool shit like this...

He once let me try on Lindsay Lohan's coat.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
dbmack":1qbsg5gg said:

Anybody else remember when Putin tried on the Patriot owner's SB ring? He didn't get it back!!

OP
OP
D

drcool

Reaction score
Back from the autograph signing. Got him to sign my son's football. He couldn't have been a nicer guy. Very gracious and friendly. I talked to him for a minute about playing in Seattle and he said something to the effect of "Man, the 12th Man is for real. They are crazy and awesome to play for". He gave my son a nice high 5 and commented on his Beast Mode jersey.

Always nice when the players you root for are willing to take the time to sign autographs for a bunch of people at Chick Fil A they have never met and half of whom don't really know who he is or who the Seahawks are. He played in high school here so a lot of people knew him from there. There were a couple people in Cliff Avril jerseys and a couple other Seahawks jerseys but not too many.

Sadly though, no ring. Was really hoping to get a glimpse of it in person.

A pic with me, my 2 1/2 year old, my wife, and a little 12th Girl on the way soon.

Bq7UlzUCIAA73IP