This "Immaculate Deflection" crap is annoying me

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Clare Farnsworth has used that term in his last two articles. This really bugs the crap out of me and here's why:

The Immaculate Reception was so called because of its miraculous nature. Sheer luck allowed Franco Harris to be in the right place at the right time. It was like a gift from God.

Nothing was "immaculate" about what Richard Sherman did. He'd done the exact same thing earlier in the season. The Legion of Boom has been making those kinds of interceptions for a long time now. They call it a Tip Drill.

Of all the nicknames for that play, I really hate Immaculate Deflection. It's wrong.

I think someone should call in to KJR and have a discussion and a vote for the official name for that play. Just to end this once and for all.

Okay, rant over.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's "the Tip." I refuse to accept any other name for that play.

"Immaculate deflection" is dumb on multiple levels and doesn't capture the beautiful irony of that play coming against the inventors of "the Catch."

Let's stop overthinking this. It's simply "the Tip"!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Salish, I understand your point of view, but you're kind of wrong. Immaculate is defined as "perfectly clean" or "having no flaw or error", it has nothing to do with luck or coincidence. The Immaculate Reception was a lot of luck along with skill, The Immaculate Deflection was pure skill.

Keep those associations separate, IMO. I love the term, personally.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I hate it when these analysts incorrectly state that if it was thrown differently it could have been caught.

A few weeks ago they were talking about Kaepernick's extension and Tim Hasselbeck showed that play and said "If he throws that ball to the back of the end zone, it's a touchdown". Nope.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
For me it's "the tip". I think history will actually bear this out. What bugs me about immaculate deflection is it's Unoriginality. Sure lets steal a phrase that is synonymous with another franchise. Since it was against SF, might as well steal from them and call it "the non catch". The tip rolls off the tongue so much better and is so powerful in its simplicity.

Smellyman

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1hc9i64u said:
For me it's "the tip". I think history will actually bear this out. What bugs me about immaculate deflection is it's Unoriginality. Sure lets steal a phrase that is synonymous with another franchise. Since it was against SF, might as well steal from them and call it "the non catch". The tip rolls off the tongue so much better and is so powerful in its simplicity.

:shock:

agreed

Threedee

Reaction score
Also, if you ask Raiders fans, the Immaculate Reception touched the grass and should have been ruled incomplete. Malcolm Smith caught The Tip cleanly without any room for controversy.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't really care what you call it.

have you seen our trophy?

bellingerga

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9472hyu5 said:
Salish, I understand your point of view, but you're kind of wrong. Immaculate is defined as "perfectly clean" or "having no flaw or error", it has nothing to do with luck or coincidence. The Immaculate Reception was a lot of luck along with skill, The Immaculate Deflection was pure skill.

Keep those associations separate, IMO. I love the term, personally.

Exactly what I was about to post.

"free from flaws or mistakes; perfect." seems quite fitting to me and doesn't imply luck at all.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3mwt7j8y said:
I hate it when these analysts incorrectly state that if it was thrown differently it could have been caught.

A few weeks ago they were talking about Kaepernick's extension and Tim Hasselbeck showed that play and said "If he throws that ball to the back of the end zone, it's a touchdown". Nope.
I watched that 'TIP' several times, and Crabby came down just out of the back end, so it WOULD NOT have been a TD. :141847_bnono:
Tim Hasseldumb was just repeating what Simi-Colon Kaepersuck said, and that just proves how stupid a statement it was.
My guess is that neither bothered to review where crabs feet were when he came down.
And as was mentioned already in this thread, that was the second time last Season that Sherman made that exact same play, with the exact same results....And that ain't luck, that's the best Corner in the League making a fantastic play.

sc85sis

Reaction score
All that, "if it were a few inches (feet, whatever) more..." Looked to me as if it would have gone over both guys' heads if it had been thrown any farther.

Latest posts