Jermaine Kearse TD in NFC Championship

Raptor22

Reaction score
How was your mood when this play occurred; were you worried about the game before this point? Did you think we had the game at that point (or at least momentum)?

I was watching this moment on my recording of the game last night and remembered the day it actually occurred:

I wasn't able to watch the whole game, I was at an evening church service that night. When I arrived at the location (our church rented a large assembly room at a public school in the area for this special service) the score was 17-13 (I had checked my phone right before I went in).
Down the hall one of the late-night workers (I think it was a janitor) had set up a TV in the library) and some of our people were going into that room to check out the game while the guest speaker for the evening was preparing his presentation materials. Some of the people came out to sit down and said we were going for a field goal. However, about a minute later the pastor's wife came into the room (she arrived later in the evening) and happily proclaimed "Touchdown!". Many of us were surprised as we thought a field goal was what was going to happen.

When I got home that night and watched the recording I made of the game, the play was awesome to actually see.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I was in the stands nervous as hell. The first half was awful. I yelled my ass off when we were on D of course but other than that i was nervous and quiet. When we hit that play though I had a feeling it was over - knowing SF has a hard time scoring on us I had the feeling we would find a way.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Raptor22":3aq0de7d said:
How was your mood when this play occurred; were you worried about the game before this point? Did you think we had the game at that point (or at least momentum)?

I was watching this moment on my recording of the game last night and remembered the day it actually occurred:

I wasn't able to watch the whole game, I was at an evening church service that night. When I arrived at the location (our church rented a large assembly room at a public school in the area for this special service) the score was 17-13 (I had checked my phone right before I went in).
Down the hall one of the late-night workers (I think it was a janitor) had set up a TV in the library) and some of our people were going into that room to check out the game while the guest speaker for the evening was preparing his presentation materials. Some of the people came out to sit down and said we were going for a field goal. However, about a minute later the pastor's wife came into the room (she arrived later in the evening) and happily proclaimed "Touchdown!". Many of us were surprised as we thought a field goal was what was going to happen.

When I got home that night and watched the recording I made of the game, the play was awesome to actually see.

You should have recorded church and watched the game live.

Riley12

Reaction score
I really couldn't breathe for almost the whole 2nd half. If it wasn't for Macklemore coming out and finishing his set with the "SEA HAWKS" chant and the necessity to keep air in my lungs to scream as loud as h - e - double hockey sticks when the defense was on the field, I would have passed out.

That touchdown gave me hope, but there was still too much time left on the clock and the ghosts of Atlanta were creeping around me. Thank goodness the crowd around me - all part of my 'Sunday family' - was so full of positivity!!

I nearly chose to put my head between my legs just before The Tip, but didn't want to miss anything (and had to scream for the defense).

kearly

Reaction score
It all happened so fast, but I remember thinking before the play how sucky it would be if Seattle attempted a low percentage 40+ yard bomb on 4th and 7. The free play aspect meant it was okay to gamble, but I definitely did not expect a TD there. I also remember feeling a sense of shock about how easy Wilson and Kearse made it look.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I wasn't nervous in the slightest until the last drive. At 10-0 it wasn't enough to phase me. They went into the half down 7 and if Carroll and company have proven anything, when they are down at the half they adjust and recover. I am talking like nearly everytime.

The Niners had 10 points, but it wasn't like they were having success with their game plan. Their scores came on oddities, things that just happen. Even the 17-10 score happened after KaeperSpaz kicked a fumble forward for a first down, but he made a great play to Boldin, still just one score though.

I did get nervous for the last drive on the 18, but dude behind me was shaking me back and forth, screaming "we gave them the middle, but we have the end zone now, here comes the pick!". He was positive that there would be one and it literally happened on the next play.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I should add that I knew that the Hawks were going to hard count on 4th and 7, but I thought that they were going to either get 5 yards closer or go for the first down. They went for the tamale. Awesome.

Niner nation got ill after that play. :)

tooshort

Reaction score
I have been eternally calm* since witnessing the divisional game in Atlanta from the second row at the 20 near our miraculous comeback scores.

That loss didn't phase me.

The Kearse TD and THE TIP left me elated but there was no doubt in my mind.

*I lie...I was livid after Baldwin's arm "bounced us into no chance for a comeback" :thfight7: grrrrrrr

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Three things.
That play made big balls Pete a legend in my mind. Later, when I learned what the play call was, and how it was flexible depending on getting a Niner offsides, and the confidence of Wilson that he could get a guy offsides, I gained a new respect for how Pete listens to his guys. It would have been easy for Pete to think about Wilson's awful grounding penalty just two plays prior. When I see the replays of the game, I see why Wilson was so confident he could get Alldumb offsides, he had done it a couple of times already.

The other thing is my respect for Haushka. Some of the posters on here vilified him for days over shrinking in the moment. He didn't. He may not be big balls Haushka, but he knows the percentages. And my respect for Baldwin. He could have gone after that pass as well, but he saw who had the better shot. That would not have stopped some receivers from taking their shot at glory.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was a tiny bit nervous, but knew we had every chance in the world to make a comeback in the second half. I expected a close game in the second half and we got it. I saw us going into the last quarter up by 3 and they get kapperlucky and we may not pull it out. The refs were gonna let them play tho, and that is what happened. Watched it yesterday again too. Not sure if I can watch the other ninner/vs/us in their territory yet. Still up in the air on that programming..... :shock:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3pjsmt92 said:
Three things.
That play made big balls Pete a legend in my mind. Later, when I learned what the play call was, and how it was flexible depending on getting a Niner offsides, and the confidence of Wilson that he could get a guy offsides, I gained a new respect for how Pete listens to his guys. It would have been easy for Pete to think about Wilson's awful grounding penalty just two plays prior. When I see the replays of the game, I see why Wilson was so confident he could get Alldumb offsides, he had done it a couple of times already.

The other thing is my respect for Haushka. Some of the posters on here vilified him for days over shrinking in the moment. He didn't. He may not be big balls Haushka, but he knows the percentages. And my respect for Baldwin. He could have gone after that pass as well, but he saw who had the better shot. That would not have stopped some receivers from taking their shot at glory.

I thought then and still think Wilson should have targeted ADB. He was more wide open than Kearse.

Hawks46

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1i1381r0 said:
I should add that I knew that the Hawks were going to hard count on 4th and 7, but I thought that they were going to either get 5 yards closer or go for the first down. They went for the tamale. Awesome.

Niner nation got ill after that play. :)

I was thinking the same thing, that we were going for the first down. I also thought Wilson would give his WRs a shot, then run for the 1st down if nothing came up.

When I saw that offsides I was like "yes ! free play" and was ecstatic when they went for the end zone.

LIke Scotte said, Baldwin had Reid beat pretty well. That would've been an easier TD if Kearse hadn't been there.

I saw the Sound FX after that, and Wilson was telling Pete that he knew he could get them with the hard count. He said "they're jumping on regular plays all day".

After that play, I knew we were going to win. You could see the Niners get deflated a bit.

rideaducati

Reaction score
That game was strange for me. The entire game I was calm and just KNEW the Seahawks were going to win. My wife even noticed and pointed it out many times during the game. Watching Kaepernick getting confident in the first half while using all his energy just played into the Seahaws hands. Kaepernick thought it was gonna be his day.

Knowing that the Seahawks are a second half team helped a lot. The game being close going into the fourth quarter gave me even more confidence. Then Kaep chokes the game away...he's so anti-clutch.

Now, when Kearse scored in the Superbowl, I cried like a baby.

rideaducati

Reaction score
That game was strange for me. The entire game I was calm and just KNEW the Seahawks were going to win. My wife even noticed and pointed it out many times during the game. Watching Kaepernick getting confident in the first half while using all his energy just played into the Seahaws hands. Kaepernick thought it was gonna be his day.

Knowing that the Seahawks are a second half team helped a lot. The game being close going into the fourth quarter gave me even more confidence. Then Kaep chokes the game away...he's so anti-clutch.

Now, when Kearse scored in the Superbowl, I cried like a baby.

kearly

Reaction score
Watching the replays, the thing that impressed me was how Kearse had the presence of mind, or perhaps natural instinct, to box out Rodgers with a slightly curved route. He kind of ran away from the ball a little to bump into the corner, and then came back to the ball in the last few steps. Rodgers was step for step with Kearse, but because of this box out maneuver his only hope to break up the pass was to PI, which given the situation he elected not to do as it would have been almost as bad as a TD.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen in my life and a memory I hope to never forget. If you watch the championship video, you can hear Carroll and Wilson discussing the decision. Both seemed confident that the 49ers would jump off sides, giving them either a free opportunity for the TD or a 4th and 2, with Wilson declaring the Niners had been jumping the count all game long.

It was such a clutch throw in that critical moment with perfect timing, trajectory, velocity, and placement. Down by four in the 4th Quarter . . . only a great player could have accomplished that. Also strong blocking by Miller on Wilson's blindside to give him enough time to allow that play to develop. And the catch by Kearse in traffic? Phenomenal and ballsy. I'm glad Baldwin was running with him stride for stride to shield him or else Whitner might have had a chance to give Kearse a headache.

seahawks-touchdown.gif

ivotuk

Reaction score
At the beginning of the game my BP went through the roof, my arms went numb and my hands were shaking. I was having a panic attack and had to take a xanax and walk around outside for awhile.

It was weird because I felt so confident. In all my years of flying the bush I never had that kind of panicky feeling. It must have had to do with all of those years of getting so close with Dave Kreig and Matt Hasselbeck and the thought of falling short again.

But when that play came up, I was absolutely calm based just on watching Russell and his body language. He was in the moment and it showed. RW is a true leader and imaho, he makes his wide receivers better because he always has their back, even when they drop a pass. Same with his Oline, Russell gets blown up, jumps up and "exhorts" his Offensive Line to keep playing hard. You just KNEW that the offense was going to give Wilson everything they had on that play.

And I agree about Hauschka, he knew the distance, the field and weather conditions and gave his coach an honest opinion Most players will not do that.

Even Peyton in the SuperB Owl told his HC when they were considering going for it on 4th down "Let's go, we'll get it!" PM wasn't even close on that throw. He wouldn't admit that he wasn't up to par (or didn't realize it) and go for the field goal. IIRC, Peyton missed a wide open player that was to his right and threw a poor pass towards coverage.

So, thank you Steven Hauschka for your assist in that game winning touchdown!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
looking at that gif, see how many Niners camped on the sticks. I doubt many of them thought Seattle would go deep. Great call.

OrFan

Reaction score
I could watch that all day!

I was calm as could be the entire game, just knew we had it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
All I can say is this.
That NFCCG was my first @ C-link.

Some may flame me for this but....
I think being there in person for that win, is my personal favorite SEAHAWK moment.
Hard to explain but I think even above the SB WIN.
I guess it's because of the fact that I was in the company of THEE 12th Man. I've spent many years watching the games all by my self at home.
The TD to JK was a great play.
It was one step in a walk towards SEAHAWK destiny.