Brandon Mebane most underrated in NFL

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This guy has been consistent every year he has been healthy. He's been successful as a 3T and NT... whatever you ask of him he'll give you an A+ plus effort.

The guy has been Pro Bowl calibur for years, and he put in an All Pro calibur season last year. Love me some 'Bane. I remember back in 2007, he's the guy I most wanted with our 2nd round pick, and he ended up being our 3rd round pick.

Mebane is the reason I loved Jordan Hill last season in the draft process... I see the same player in Hill that we've see in Mebane. Like Hill, Mebane was once an undersized 6'1, 290-295 DT with plus pass-rush ability, decent anchor vs the rush, and a nose for the football.

Also, I know this is about Mebane, but as anyone seen Jordan Hill's lower body in OTA photos? The dude must have spent a good portion of the off-season (perhaps even last season) developing and strengthening his anchor because he's got some powerful looking trunks.

candybars

Reaction score
How could you possibly call Marshawn Lynch one of the most overrated players in the NFL? Oh yea, it's Pete "Paint Chips" Prisco.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch overrated? We're done here. Don't feed the troll.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Dude has been a stud and one the best DTs in the NFL since he arrived in 2007.

Quite frankly, he should have a few pro bowls by now but his role doesn't accumulate a lot of stats. It's too bad really, because if you factor in the fact that this is going to be his 8th season with the Hawks, that he has been largely healthy, and now has a Super Bowl, if he had gotten some of the pro bowl nods that he deserves he'd be a strong ring of honor candidate IMO.

All he has done is win his individual match-up seemingly every damn week for 7 years (on some bad-mediocre teams and at times with less than stellar running mates). Gotta imagine Mebane loves the idea of K Williams next to him, and Mebane is the best K Williams has had next to him since Pat Williams.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Three offensive guys overated on the superbowl champs? hmmm. I must have missed all the articles that said Seattles offense was the reason they won the superbowl.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Agree on Mebane, as well as Nickell Robey on the Bills. Nickell is listed at 5'8" but I think he's really more like 5'7". Doesn't matter--he just makes plays. He has a crazy vertical leap that helps counter his lack of height and he has a nose for the ball.

I don't understand what Prisco's deal is with Lynch and Russ. Yes, there are others who have better stats, but you can't look at those stats in a vacuum. Shawn fights for every single yard. If our o-line were better he'd have killer stats. Russ does what we need him to do. He's definitely capable of more, and he's the undisputed leader of the team. The defense was really good even before he came, but the team didn't win consistently until he became the QB.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I can't find the article but I recall Prisco saying Lynch was overrated because he only averaged 4.2 YPC. Since we all know Prisco doesn't actually watch the games, he didn't realize how awesome the OL was.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Mebane was a cal guy!
Been watching him do his thing for years now.
I do agree that he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL, but I don't think he holds the crown.
Lots of credit gets given to Avril and Clemons, Mebane is the guy that gives them those opportunities.

And Lynch is not overrated lol

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's incredible how hot and cold Pete Prisco is. He's smart enough to identify that Mebane is wildly underappreciated, but lists those guys as overrated?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
He kind of has a point about Unger, he didn't have that good of a year, but still got a Pro Bowl invite?

I've watched the SB several times (as most of us have) he struggled.... a lot. That monster DT for Denver was getting the best of him quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I like Unger, but technically he was overrated last year, he didn't play up to a Pro Bowl level. So I think he nailed the Mebane and Unger picks.

The Lynch and Wilson comments, nah I think he was way off base there.

:Dunno:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1tc0ejsg said:

The only way Beast could be overrated is if they put him above AP last year. That's about it.

ManBunts

Reaction score
ZagHawk":39i68yvs said:
WindCityHawk":39i68yvs said:

The only way Beast could be overrated is if they put him above AP last year. That's about it.

2013 Season:
Adrian Peterson - 1437 all-purpose yds/11 TDs
Marshawn Lynch - 1573 all-purpose yards/12 TDs

Last year I think one could easily make the argument that Lynch was better. Now if you meant 2012, well, yeah, that's a given.

kearly

Reaction score
The insanity of his Wilson and Lynch comments aside, his list was surprisingly intelligent. Prisco is an interesting guy because 99% of his stupidity comes from pure laziness, but when he actually puts some effort into his work he shows a decent knowledge of the game. At least in my opinion.

I didn't even know Joseph Barksdale ended up with the Rams. He was a major mid-round draft-crush a few years ago, I figured I whiffed on him but apparently he has turned his career around in St. Louis.

Oh, people need to stop calling Nick Foles over-rated. What a joke. The guy has the 4th highest passer rating in NFL history during what was essentially his rookie season. Scheme, lack of preparation by the league, I don't care. That is damn impressive. Foles looked outstanding in the 2012 and 2013 preseasons as well. He could decline massively in 2014 and still be one of the most efficient QBs in the league.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2i8nfyiq said:
The insanity of his Wilson and Lynch comments aside, his list was surprisingly intelligent. Prisco is an interesting guy because 99% of his stupidity comes from pure laziness, but when he actually puts some effort into his work he shows a decent knowledge of the game. At least in my opinion.

I didn't even know Joseph Barksdale ended up with the Rams. He was a major mid-round draft-crush a few years ago, I figured I whiffed on him but apparently he has turned his career around in St. Louis.

Oh, people need to stop calling Nick Foles over-rated. What a joke. The guy has the 4th highest passer rating in NFL history during what was essentially his rookie season. Scheme, lack of preparation by the league, I don't care. That is damn impressive. Foles looked outstanding in the 2012 and 2013 preseasons as well. He could decline massively in 2014 and still be one of the most efficient QBs in the league.
I understand people wanting to wait to proclaim Foles really good, but there is very little reason to call him over rated.

I fail to understand how Prisco can say that Unger was a key reason the Hawks O-line was bad, then ding Wilson and Lynch, who played behind it. Especially when Wilson has tied Manning for most TD passes his first two years, and has 28! wins. And Lynch ran for 4.2 per behind a line Prisco just labeled as awful. While saying Romo is underrated.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1n14u2e0 said:
This guy has been consistent every year he has been healthy. He's been successful as a 3T and NT... whatever you ask of him he'll give you an A+ plus effort.

The guy has been Pro Bowl calibur for years, and he put in an All Pro calibur season last year. Love me some 'Bane. I remember back in 2007, he's the guy I most wanted with our 2nd round pick, and he ended up being our 3rd round pick.

Mebane is the reason I loved Jordan Hill last season in the draft process... I see the same player in Hill that we've see in Mebane. Like Hill, Mebane was once an undersized 6'1, 290-295 DT with plus pass-rush ability, decent anchor vs the rush, and a nose for the football.

Also, I know this is about Mebane, but as anyone seen Jordan Hill's lower body in OTA photos? The dude must have spent a good portion of the off-season (perhaps even last season) developing and strengthening his anchor because he's got some powerful looking trunks.

I too had Mebane as my top target for round 2 and was sad when we passed on him and then SUPER STOKED when we grabbed him in the 3rd.

He has been nothing but excellent and it is amazing how little attention he gets despite his amazing consistency.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1e1b0ojs said:
I understand people wanting to wait to proclaim Foles really good, but there is very little reason to call him over rated.

I fail to understand how Prisco can say that Unger was a key reason the Hawks O-line was bad, then ding Wilson and Lynch, who played behind it. Especially when Wilson has tied Manning for most TD passes his first two years, and has 28! wins. And Lynch ran for 4.2 per behind a line Prisco just labeled as awful. While saying Romo is underrated.

His Wilson and Lynch comments are insanity. He seems to know enough about Seattle to know better, and yet he doesn't.

I do agree with him on Unger and Romo. I think Romo would get rings in Seattle, despite his occasional 'wtf' passes I've always been so impressed by his pocket management and elusiveness. He's kept the Cowboys in fringe contention despite having some horrific defenses. He's roughly a top 10 guy but everyone reacts to him like he's Mark Sanchez.

I get your point though. Romo has an awesome OL. So that's cognitive dissonance on Prisco's part.