For Richard Sherman, being No. 1 is plenty of fun

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
By Tom Robinson
The Virginian-Pilot
© June 27, 2014
WILLIAMSBURG

After romping and laughing with kids at William & Mary's football camp Monday, loquacious cornerback Richard Sherman revealed a key to the Seattle Seahawks' defensive success.

Romping and laughing like kids, of course.

"Run as fast as you can, tackle as hard as you can, celebrate after plays," Sherman said. "That's what I like about us in Seattle; we play like a bunch of kids. Big kids, but kids just the same."

The Super Bowl champions, though, are the bullies on the bus.

Anchored by its "Legion of Boom" secondary featuring power-hitting safety Kam Chancellor of Maury High and Virginia Tech, Seattle's defense has yielded the fewest points in the NFL the last two seasons - 15.3 a game in 2012, 14.4 last year.

No game amplified that dominance better than the Super Bowl, when Seattle dismantled the highest-scoring offense in Denver history, winning 43-8.

And no game centered Sherman, a third-year pro with an NFL-best eight interceptions last season, in the public lens more than the NFC championship game.

Moments after tipping San Francisco's potential game-winning pass to a teammate for a clinching interception, Sherman was trash-talking the 49ers for testing the "best corner in the game" at crunch time.

Reaction to the rant still greets him as he works his way through camps and other offseason appearances, Sherman said with a smile.

"I don't really care," he said. "You're going to have people who love you, people who hate you. I hate when people are in the middle, so I like that they either love me or they hate me."

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/06/richard ... plenty-fun

Sherminator

Reaction score
This story right here is one of the reasons I am a huge Sherman fan.
Good for him

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sherminator":eyi2og59 said:
Good for him

How do Bay Area Stanford fans typically feel about Sherman? I would guess the opposite of you because Sherman wasn't a big-time player in college.

How do they feel about Baldwin?

On topic, I love Sherm's "no such thing as bad press" attitude.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":22v5wj5f said:
Sherminator":22v5wj5f said:
Good for him

How do Bay Area Stanford fans typically feel about Sherman? I would guess the opposite of you because Sherman wasn't a big-time player in college.

How do they feel about Baldwin?

On topic, I love Sherm's "no such thing as bad press" attitude.

Well, 90% of Stanford fans are 49er fans. With Harbs going to the niners and how close they are to each other its almost like part of being a Cardinal fan is being a 49er fan.
Sherman wasn't a big name here while he was on the team, he also stayed out of the media (weird I know).
When he was drafted by the hawks I know some of my buddies followed him, then he started with his "no such thing as bad press".
As far as the Sherman feelings down there its very split, its a love/hate.
I will tell you, everyone knows who he is. Step up from when he was actually here

Baldwin didn't really do much until his senior year so he wasn't as well known either.
People tend to like Baldwin more than Sherman though lol

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sherminator":14mlfo4z said:
Sherman wasn't a big name here while he was on the team, he also stayed out of the media (weird I know). When he was drafted by the hawks I know some of my buddies followed him, then he started with his "no such thing as bad press".

His silence while at Stanford was most likely because of Harbaugh's tyrannical control. Same deal with the 49ers players. They're fairly tight lipped. "If it doesn't keep it's mouth shut, it will get the hose again!" :mrgreen:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
"Pete's huge into psychology," Sherman said. "He told us we were going to win it mid-last year.... He was like, 'We're not trying to just go for one, we're trying to go for multiples.' He tried to prepare our minds for a long run."

I love Pete.

in a day and age where everyone seems to strive for mediocrity and lowered expectations he came in and said "Nah - that's not nearly good enough".

I love that about this team.

WIlson doesn't just want to be a good short qb, he wants to be the greatest of all qb's, of all time.

Sherman doesn't want to be a good corner, he wants to be the greatest corner, and he won't shut up about it.

Pete doesn't want to win one superbowl. He wants to win several and doesn't care how that sounds.

After being a sports door-mat for so long in seattle its just insane to have a team like this that from top to bottom is confident as can be.

Enjoy it. teams like this are rare.

Riley12

Reaction score
Why did they change the storyline to the LOB against the "highest scoring offense in Denver history" from the pre-SB storyline of Denver being the "highest scoring offense in NFL history"?

Did someone do some digging to find out that the original claim wasn't true, or is the author backsliding to make the defensive performance less amazing?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Riley12":2haek2s3 said:
Why did they change the storyline to the LOB against the "highest scoring offense in Denver history" from the pre-SB storyline of Denver being the "highest scoring offense in NFL history"?

Did someone do some digging to find out that the original claim wasn't true, or is the author backsliding to make the defensive performance less amazing?
Not sure, regardless, Omaha!
DamagedCloudyAfricanharrierhawk.gif