Max $$$ for Russ...what's your number?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Like all of us, I certainly want Wilson back on this team in '16 (and beyond), but I am less certain this team requires a "25 million dollar QB" to win championships. I am hopeful Russ will want to keep the team healthy and settle for a deal that will allow that to happen, but with aspirations as lofty as owning his own team, a discount may be unlikely. I don't think this RW thing is the no-brainer most believe it to be. I believe JS really has his work cut out for him.

As important (and popular) as RW is, if he seeks a 5 year, 125 mil deal, I am not certain he will get that out of JS. That's like Avril, Bennett and Thomas combined and more than any single (no pun intended) football player deserves, or needs, especially when endorsements (and a 3rd contract at 30 are factored in). Wilson could easily make 50 mil per while only hitting us for 20, which I think should be our max, unless he is willing to sign an 8 year deal for like $180.

Two questions:

A) How much would be too much to give RW in your educated opinion?
B) Will this thread surrender to the somewhat predictable cries of blasphemy, you hater!...you give RW whatever the **** he wants...you're a dead man, Hawkwow!?

I will be entertained either way.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
He will get top dollar and deserves it. Only a crazy person would let the best young QB in the game walk.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1e07mcga said:
A blank check with Paul Allen's signature already on it.

Next question?

Great answer, Ro. I assume you are suggesting that blank check will be drawn from the personal account of Paul Allen's and not the Seattle Seahawks. ; ) There has to be a number you feel crosses a line.. no?

Cartire

Reaction score
Honestly, ill get flak for this. But the 49ers and Kaep just set the bar for team friendly contracts that still pay for production.

Im hoping that finally, teams and players alike agree that its too toxic to get into the $20 mil range without deescalaters. I think Colins contract was a win for both sides, kinda. If Colin plays as well as he thinks he can, he'll make a load of cash. If he craps out, he'll be out without to heavy of a burden on his team. And both scenarios allow for more team building. Im really hoping Russell follows this route.

EDIT: forgot to answer the question. I "think" he will allow team friendly, and we'll see $16-18 mil/yr range with production. Im hoping this is what we get, I think this is what we will get. I think JS and PC are to invested in this team to sell them off. I really want this to be what happens.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkWow":3dxglumc said:
Great answer, Ro. I assume you are suggesting that blank check will be drawn from the personal account of Paul Allen's and not the Seattle Seahawks. ; ) There has to be a number you feel crosses a line.. no?
Hey, personal checks under the table worked for the 49ers in the 90s.

If you want a real answer, a hair past whomever the most highly paid QB in the league is at the time. I'm confident at this point that Russell will have improved in 2014 and will have earned it, but time will tell.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Unless he lays a major egg during the 2014 season, doubtful, he will get a heavy performance based contract that won't cripple the team in order to keep him a Hawk.

Just look at what he is doing now, he has a least TWO national ads, American Insurance and the Microsoft pad device, that I know of that more than likely are paying him major $$$$$.

If he goes somewhere else, that MS $$ will disappear overnight.

I am not worried at all, he was born to be a Hawk and the journey has just begun, short of him suffering some kind of career ending injury.

The DYNASTY has just started, so hang on tight, my glass is full of blue and silver Kool-Aid, and I don't see it running low any time soon.

GO HAWKS!!!

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
I'm glad we aren't writing the check now, though. The number could drop a bit if the team regresses. It's common after winning the big one. The lower the number the more we can spread around. He'll get more than Kap, though, and he should.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Cartire":1cvlweuj said:
Honestly, ill get flak for this. But the 49ers and Kaep just set the bar for team friendly contracts that still pay for production.

Im hoping that finally, teams and players alike agree that its too toxic to get into the $20 mil range without deescalaters. I think Colins contract was a win for both sides, kinda. If Colin plays as well as he thinks he can, he'll make a load of cash. If he craps out, he'll be out without to heavy of a burden on his team. And both scenarios allow for more team building. Im really hoping Russell follows this route.

EDIT: forgot to answer the question. I "think" he will allow team friendly, and we'll see $16-18 mil/yr range with production. Im hoping this is what we get, I think this is what we will get. I think JS and PC are to invested in this team to sell them off. I really want this to be what happens.

I feel ya' bro. Just our luck we'd get the richest owner in football AFTER the cap-hammer came down. Still we got ours and the subject of this thread deserves a whopping share of glory for us getting it. I hope you are right with your projections. It really has gotten out of hand. When you start talking 20 mil per, 75 guaranteed, that suddenly trumps the "hey, these guys can't play forever" narrative, imo.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18rg2w0a said:
HawkWow":18rg2w0a said:
Hey, personal checks under the table worked for the 49ers in the 90s.

If you want a real answer, a hair past whomever the most highly paid QB in the league is at the time. I'm confident at this point that Russell will have improved in 2014 and will have earned it, but time will tell.

I like it. Or just less than Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't trade Wilson for Rodgers, but I'd be lyin' if I said I felt Wilson was the better QB (at this stage).

brettb3

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":3izobng1 said:
I'm glad we aren't writing the check now, though. The number could drop a bit if the team regresses. It's common after winning the big one. The lower the number the more we can spread around. He'll get more than Kap, though, and he should.
So you're counting on the team regressing?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkWow":2z017d4j said:
I like it. Or just less than Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't trade Wilson for Rodgers, but I'd be lyin' if I said I felt Wilson was the better QB (at this stage).
He's not better than Rodgers right now. At least, presumably not; he hasn't really been showcased in any big passing games yet, but Wilson's got a brighter future and is much younger, and he's not a whiny douche after a controversial loss. :)

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
12HawkFan":30gev9g9 said:
Unless he lays a major egg during the 2014 season, doubtful, he will get a heavy performance based contract that won't cripple the team in order to keep him a Hawk.

Just look at what he is doing now, he has a least TWO national ads, American Insurance and the Microsoft pad device, that I know of that more than likely are paying him major $$$$$.

If he goes somewhere else, that MS $$ will disappear overnight.

I am not worried at all, he was born to be a Hawk and the journey has just begun, short of him suffering some kind of career ending injury.

The DYNASTY has just started, so hang on tight, my glass is full of blue and silver Kool-Aid, and I don't see it running low any time soon.

GO HAWKS!!!

I agree we will see the best of Mr. Wilson year after year for the next few (at least). I'd hate to see him in another jersey, unless of course we were beating his new team in the SB. That would remove some of the sting, for sure. I have a hunch with (a healthy) Harvin, this is going to be the year he really busts out. Not just because of Harvin, but what Harvin's attendance will do for the entire offense. With Wilson's ability to see the majority of the field, and think on his feet, we should be as hard on defenses as we are on offenses this year. But I'm uncertain that will continue if we throw 25 mil per at RW alone.

kearly

Reaction score
Basically, I don't even have a number. I honestly think Seattle is a better team with Wilson even on a crazy huge $50 million per year contract than they are without him, unless you think Tjack is a SB champion caliber guy, which he might be, but that's uncertain. I don't think you could replace Wilson's impact on the team even with $50 million in cap space to spend in FA, that's how highly I view him.

So if he signs for $15 million, great! That's a bargain. If he signs for $20 million, great! $25 million? Still a great signing by Seattle.

I look at it this way. Lets say Wilson was drafted by the Eagles instead of us, and the Eagles had just stomped their way to a Super Bowl win while Seattle was wasting a great defense and running game. Then this alternate universe Russell Wilson suddenly decided he wants to be a Seahawk, and all he asks is to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. No draft picks given up to get him, no players traded for him, just money. Every Hawks fan in the world would want Seattle to offer that contract, and would probably lose their minds in euphoria the moment he signed it.

As far as taking discounts, it would surprise me if Wilson did that. He wants to own an NFL franchise some day, which means he's going to need a LOT of money. Even with endorsements that is a ridiculously ambitious financial goal, and he's going to need every dollar he can get.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1u4oc9ht said:
HawkWow":1u4oc9ht said:
He's not better than Rodgers right now. At least, presumably not; he hasn't really been showcased in any big passing games yet, but Wilson's got a brighter future and is much younger, and he's not a whiny douche after a controversial loss. :)

I like Rodgers much more now that he has a girlfriend. Rumors be damned! ; )

I totally agree and alluded to the same in my post. In a different thread I said the same about Manning likely winning the big ESPY. Wilson wasn't gifted the opportunity to put up record breaking numbers the way Manning was. Wilson got the Lombardo, Manning gets the ESPY. Let's make that a trend.

I think it was Cartire that spoke (above) of Wilson's endorsement deals (sorry if I'm mistaken). Imagine the deals he will be signing when the divorce is finalized? I have no way of knowing for sure, but Wilson was likely distracted / busy and this off season may not have been the wisest time to pad the account. I know my numbers plummeted the year before and during mine. ; )

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wilson is going to get what he gets. I am curious to see how much, but I refuse to begrudge him a single dime. Seattle will have gotten 3 years of 3rd round pay for at least one SB. A chunk of what he gets will be for services already rendered.

Sherminator

Reaction score
I think Wilson will be the beginning of the 23+ mil per year QB.
The man totally deserves it and has to get significantly more than recent QB contracts signed (Kaep and Cutler).
You don't let QBs of this potential/talent level get away, I liked the idea of a blank check.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":radv7iwh said:
unless you think Tjack is a SB champion caliber guy, which he might be, but that's uncertain

To be fair, its far from uncertain. He played in the superbowl, and won. I think hes the exact definition of a SB Champion...

:D :D

Cartire

Reaction score
Sherminator":32y99ekm said:
I think Wilson will be the beginning of the 23+ mil per year QB.
The man totally deserves it and has to get significantly more than recent QB contracts signed (Kaep and Cutler).
You don't let QBs of this potential/talent level get away, I liked the idea of a blank check.

This sounds more like you like the idea of a team crippled in salary cap hell.......

lukerguy

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3doj34u9 said:
He will get top dollar and deserves it. Only a crazy person would let the best young QB in the game walk.

I don't think the Colts are going to let Luck walk.