NFL's 10 best scrambling QBs

HawkHack

Reaction score
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a..._nfl_right_now/16741645?linksrc=foxmiddle_nfl
It seems as though the article should have been titled "The NFL's 10 best running QBs".
On that score, their list wasn't too far off.
But if you consider "scrambling" to be the ability to make something out of a broken play, I think RW has to be top three, if not #1.
Certainly, Kaepernick has shown the ability to "scramble" for some huge runs, while Wilson, when he runs, is mostly just going for positive yardage or first downs. But in terms of keeping the play alive for a possible completion, I don't think it's much of a competition.
Of course, it's much harder to quantify the ability to keep the play alive, which is why the article focuses so heavily on QB rushing stats.
What say? Is Kaepernick or Newton better at keeping the play alive?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think they're all good, but whereas Russell moves around and eventually finds a target. Kaep and Newton when they get to moving it's usually a play being made by their legs.

Russ is a scrambler who runs when it's literally the only option left, Newton and Kaepernick id say are running QBs.

Giblien

Reaction score
Throwdown":1zytskhx said:
Russ is a scrambler who runs when it's literally the only option left, Newton and Kaepernick id say are running QBs.

:13:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Giblien":mlnxqnb7 said:
Throwdown":mlnxqnb7 said:

Agreed the fact Luck is on this list is a testament to the media hype that is Luck, and almost makes this list laughable though.

OP
OP
H

HawkHack

Reaction score
Anthony!":30jgeqjh said:
Giblien":30jgeqjh said:
Throwdown":30jgeqjh said:

Agreed the fact Luck is on this list is a testament to the media hype that is Luck, and almost makes this list laughable though.
Luck is more mobile that he gets credit for, but a "scrambling QB"?

Not so much.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kaep should be 3 and RW 2.

Amzaing how everyone is hyped, but Wilson. His rushing numbers AND passing number are BETTER than kaep and Luck.

grrrrrr

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'll give Tarkenton #1 for scrambling Qb's all time. After that its all Wilson.

HHawk121

Reaction score
Russell is smart enough to know he's not the best athlete on the field. So he does whatever it takes to get the ball to them instead.. I'll take him every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. Every time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Scrambling and running are different, scramble extends plays and can run for yards with occational called plays or bootlegs, running QB's, someone like Bobby Douglas that played in Chicago. I would say guys like Tark, Wilson, Staubach are real scramblers. They tried to use RGIII as a running QB and you seen what happened.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
chris98251":2dis52k5 said:
Scrambling and running are different, scramble extends plays and can run for yards with occational called plays or bootlegs, running QB's, someone like Bobby Douglas that played in Chicago. I would say guys like Tark, Wilson, Staubach are real scramblers. They tried to use RGIII as a running QB and you seen what happened.

This.

As a scrambling QB, I'd put RW #1, Rodgers #2, and Luck #3. As a running QB, I'd put Russ more like 3 behind Kaep and Newton. I'd prefer a scrambling QB to a running QB anyday. Cam's the modern day Mike Vick according to the article. How many 16 game seasons has Vick played? 2? 3?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Anthony!":1fzu0nq3 said:
Giblien":1fzu0nq3 said:
Throwdown":1fzu0nq3 said:

Just because the media is on Luck's jock, and rates him higher than Wilson doesn't mean that everything about Luck is overhyped. The man isn't evil.

Luck has amazing pocket prescence, his athletic ability is VERY underrated (had identical combine numbers to Cam Newton) and he rushed for more TD's last year than Wilson did. So, no, I'd say it isn't a joke because someone dared to mention Luck.

Also, scrambling historically hasn't meant rushing downfield for large numbers of yards. Scrambling used to mean what Tarkenton did. What Young did. What WIlson does now.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Cam to Michael Vick is stupid. Vick has more fast twitch but the size and durability isn't close. Cam to Vick as a passer is absurd, Cam with approximately 7K more yards, 42 more passing TDs, and 10% higher completion % over first 3 seasons. Gotta write something in July I guess.