Russ Clutch?

Giblien

Reaction score
I was just seeing people tweet out how RW is over rated and I got to thinking: Has there EVER been a QB in their first two years in the NFL who has been more clutch? I can't think of one...can you?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Giblien":1ob34cgi said:
I was just seeing people tweet out how RW is over rated and I got to thinking: Has there EVER been a QB in their first two years in the NFL who has been more clutch? I can't think of one...can you?

He has the most 4th qtr/OT come from behind wins in the NFL over the last 2 years. He over took luck in the playoffs. Those saying he is over rated have not watched much of him or the hawks, and only know how good the D is so he must be over rated. However the Players who voted him in the top 5 of all QBs know the truth and that is worth more than the fans, and so called experts.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Giblien":mnpzhd8m said:

or put up better numbers not named marino or manning? His passing numbers are quite similar and he blows them away rushing.

this really is getting maddening.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smellyman":kjj150ly said:
Giblien":kjj150ly said:

or put up better numbers not named marino or manning? His passing numbers are quite similar and he blows them away rushing.

Haters gonna hate! Keep winning Lombardi's and the fools will look like the assclowns they really are.

HHawk121

Reaction score
Bottom line is, these are the people that were naming Luck as the best prospect of this generation. They couldn't POSSIBLY be wrong... nope... That or as was said above so eloquently.

Haters gonna hate!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Well, he was voted the 51st best player by his peers after his rookie season. He has now catapulted into the top 20.

Seems to me he's only overrated by people who don't play with or against him. People who only watch Seahawks highlights, people who only read into media garbage rather than people who've actually seen Russell Wilson play every game.

Sure Russell Wilson has his faults and short comings but he's also been as perfect of a QB you'd want after just 2 seasons of work.

When you add in how much he has been getting paid for his body of work, how much he puts the team goals in front of his life goals, just how dedicated he is to his craft, to winning, and to being a leader... you would never ever call Russell Wilson overrated.

Those who do are just ignorant haters.

kearly

Reaction score
Luck has been arguably more clutch than Wilson has. He's had one more 4th quarter comeback in the same time frame as Wilson, not to mention his Colts have probably overachieved their "pythagorean wins" more than anyone since 2012. Best way to win more games than you are supposed to? Be super clutch.

Tebow was the most clutch bad QB of all time in 2011.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Smellyman":f0epywlz said:
Giblien":f0epywlz said:

actually if you compare Mannings first 2 years to Rws, Rw looks better and without a HOF Wr and top 10 o-line

Manning in his first 2 years
7874 yards, 59.4 complt%, 7.2 ypa, 51 tds, 43 ints, td% 4.7, int% 3.9, QB rating 80.95, rushing yards 135 rushing TDs 2

Rw in first 2 years
6475 yards, 63.6 complt%, 8.1 YPA, 52 tds, 19 ints, td% 6.5, int% 2.4, qb rating 100.6, rushing yards 1028, rushing tds 5

Other than yards Rw beats him in every other category and as it relates to yards Manning 657 attempts, RW 509 hence the yards difference

As to Marino it is interesting in looking at him he played 17 years, had 6 season over 4k 7 season 3k-3999k, the rest under 3k, He only through over 25 tds 6 times, had a career Qb rating of 86, a career compl% of 59, Career YPA of 7.3.
Only had a QB rating over 100 once, and only 4 times over 90 but below 100. He also avg only 3600 yards, 24tds, and 15 ints a year HMMM

What is at issue with Rw is a few of things.

1. he has a good defense and running game so people want to penalize him for it
2. he does not through for 4k yards
3. media hype of Luck
4. people still cannot get over he is not a prototypical QB size
5. to many so called experts said he would never be more than a backup and are un willing to admit they were wrong.
6. not enough people watched enough Hawks games to really know.

In time that will change but it will take a couple more years of great play and us being in the hunt.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Anthony!":309eqqyn said:
Smellyman":309eqqyn said:
Giblien":309eqqyn said:

actually if you compare Mannings first 2 years to Rws, Rw looks better and without a HOF Wr and top 10 o-line

Manning in his first 2 years
7874 yards, 59.4 complt%, 7.2 ypa, 51 tds, 43 ints, td% 4.7, int% 3.9, QB rating 80.95, rushing yards 135 rushing TDs 2

Rw in first 2 years
6475 yards, 63.6 complt%, 8.1 YPA, 52 tds, 19 ints, td% 6.5, int% 2.4, qb rating 100.6, rushing yards 1028, rushing tds 5

Other than yards Rw beats him in every other category and as it relates to yards Manning 657 attempts, RW 509 hence the yards difference

As to Marino it is interesting in looking at him he played 17 years, had 6 season over 4k 7 season 3k-3999k, the rest under 3k, He only through over 25 tds 6 times, had a career Qb rating of 86, a career compl% of 59, Career YPA of 7.3.
Only had a QB rating over 100 once, and only 4 times over 90 but below 100. He also avg only 3600 yards, 24tds, and 15 ints a year HMMM

What is at issue with Rw is a few of things.

1. he has a good defense and running game so people want to penalize him for it
2. he does not through for 4k yards
3. media hype of Luck
4. people still cannot get over he is not a prototypical QB size
5. to many so called experts said he would never be more than a backup and are un willing to admit they were wrong.
6. not enough people watched enough Hawks games to really know.

In time that will change but it will take a couple more years of great play and us being in the hunt.

good stuff man. manning not only had Harrison he also had Marshall Faulk then James.....

chris98251

Reaction score
By design and our defense Wilson has not had to be clutch as much, so he doesn't get that reputation and credit, Colts have been behind by more and had to overcome less steller defensive play which makes Luck much more sensationalized. Brady in my mind has been much more clutch over time then anyone recent.

Also we have been ahead or close in most of our games and see less prevent defense, that creates opportunity to comeback also I think.

I just need to look at the Green Bay game, the Carolina Game and the Atlanta game to know when it's time Wilson is clutch.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":xhvu92f1 said:
By design and our defense Wilson has not had to be clutch as much, so he doesn't get that reputation and credit, Colts have been behind by more and had to overcome less steller defensive play which makes Luck much more sensationalized. Brady in my mind has been much more clutch over time then anyone recent.

Also we have been ahead or close in most of our games and see less prevent defense, that creates opportunity to comeback also I think.

I just need to look at the Green Bay game, the Carolina Game and the Atlanta game to know when it's time Wilson is clutch.

I disagree, it is the design that made Wilson HAVE to be clutch. Pete likes to run run run and play it close and win it in the 4th. At times that has been frustrating to the fans becuase often the games seem too close and Wilson has had to pull it out in the end.

He is tied with Luck with most 4th qtr comebacks the last two years.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":2qgw05cx said:
Just have the haters watch the Seahawks vs. Patriots game in 2012 and have them look you in the face after and say he isn't clutch.

Or better yet...Chicago. Or Atlanta. His D failed him both games and that didn't rattle him. He stepped up

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":1xd4e918 said:

You do realize that as of this past playoffs Rw has more 4th qtr/OT and game winning drives over the last 2 years than any other QB in the NFL. That equal clutch

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":8wftpnsh said:
chris98251":8wftpnsh said:

You do realize that as of this past playoffs Rw has more 4th qtr/OT and game winning drives over the last 2 years than any other QB in the NFL. That equal clutch

I stand by what I said, if you read it I said Wilson is clutch, he just doesn't have to come back from large point spreads, we typically have the game in control, those games I listed were off the top of my head. Add another the Tampa Game last year to see how he can rally the team and get points when we need it.

Games when you come from 10 points back etc get more press since they are more dramatic, also Luck being a 1st pick gets a lot more headlines and it seems they are trying to build his reputation to match it regardless of how the team performs.

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
Clutch is a myth. Read: This article appears in the May 28 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Wilsons numbers are no better in the 4th quarter or down by 7 at the start of the game. The bottom line is some players regress under pressure and some players maintain.

Wilson maintains.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wilson maintains? You are better off to say RW is a janitor because he cleans up at the end of games.
Look at quarters 1 vs quarter 2 then quarters 3 vs 4. Wilson gets dialed in when pressure is on even in college.

A

Anonymous

If Russ is a clutch, he's not just any clutch...

Russ is a McLeod dual-disk racing clutch, running on a lightweight flywheel, mounted to a blown 427-inch LSX, with a Tremec 6-speed, aluminum driveshaft, into a Hildebrand quick change, a 4-link, wheelie-bars, and dual parachutes.

Just sayin... :mrgreen:

Anthony!

Reaction score
kearly":2nheg2vy said:
Luck has been arguably more clutch than Wilson has. He's had one more 4th quarter comeback in the same time frame as Wilson, not to mention his Colts have probably overachieved their "pythagorean wins" more than anyone since 2012. Best way to win more games than you are supposed to? Be super clutch.

Tebow was the most clutch bad QB of all time in 2011.

Wrong Luck no longer has the most 4th qtr/OT wins Rw does know thanks to the playoff. As to more about clutch, clutch players do not throw 7 ints in 2 game sin the playoffs. it is that simple. As to over achieved really they won 10 games the year before their "suck for Luck campaign" remember this

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/us/suck-f ... index.html

The they get luck and win 11 wow big increase after taking for the #1 pick.

TH=hey had a top 10 scoring defense, a run game that avg the same YPA as we do, a HOF wr, another in the top 10 and a wr corps ranked 7th well above ours. They are in the AFC, the easy division, they are not in the NFC and most importantly the NFC west.

Not to mention most of Lucks needing to comeback are of his own doing with his ints, while Rws are not of his own doing.