Dispelling the myth that Russell Wilson wins (only) because

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nice analysis, but I'd like to ask people a simple question............why does everyone get offended by the term "game manager?"

EVERY QB is a game manager, that's part of their job description. To work in tandem with their coaches to come up with a game plan to manage the game in order to win. If that means throwing the ball 40 times, then that's managing the game in order to win. If that means running the ball 30 times and short ball controlled passing, the that's managing the game to win.

Russell does what it takes to win. He and Pete know that with this defense he doesn't HAVE to throw it 40 times a game like other QB's with inferior defenses do in order to win, or because they have no running game.

This is not Trent Dilfer, who couldn't win having to throw it 40 times a game. Russell could do that if we needed him to, but he doesn't.........so he "manages" the game letting his RB's and defense dominate while making clutch throws when needed.

Being offended by the term "game manager" is stupid, it's time to stop letting those words get under our skin.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Quote...
And yet when the 2011 Seahawks were playing the defense was ranked 24th and offense was ranked 28th.. then Russel Wilson comes in and offense jumps up to 17th but defense took a hit and was 29th.
End quote.. M

I don't understand this? Our defense absolutely wasn't 29th when Russell or even Tavares was starting.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Looks like getting upset over the perception of Russell Wilson is the new "we wuz disrespected!" complaint for .NET.

We know what we have in Wilson. We've got a shiny new SB ring. What's to get upset over? Unless this is a case of...

someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong1.jpg

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

We know what we've got. If someone else does not see it? Their loss.

Or tell them to go watch that Chicago game again. Or Atlanta in the playoffs.

OR SF last year where Wilson had to throw a perfect pass to a covered WR in the endzone on 4th down.

At some point, people are just making arguments based on what they think, not based on the data. There are plenty of examples of Wilson where his clutch plays in the passing game won important games for us.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":aja7wmnn said:
Quote...
And yet when the 2011 Seahawks were playing the defense was ranked 24th and offense was ranked 28th.. then Russel Wilson comes in and offense jumps up to 17th but defense took a hit and was 29th.
End quote.. M

I don't understand this? Our defense absolutely wasn't 29th when Russell or even Tavares was starting.

whoever wrote it went to NFL.com and looked up the defensive rankings and the way the NFL listed it had us 29th they were listing it by some weird stat. The defense at least in the stat that matters most to me did improve from 2011-2012 -2013 that stat being scoring. The offense improved as well, I am sure us scoring more, which meant less time on the field for the defense, plus the ability to be more aggressive helped the defense as well. That was part of his point, everyone talks about how the defense helps RW but not how Rw helps the defense, Heck according to Sherman it was RW who actually cracked Mannings code for them.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Anthony!":1x09b7y9 said:
... Heck according to Sherman it was RW who actually cracked Mannings code for them.

Interesting... where did you read/hear that from?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Anthony!":1haqx5o9 said:
Tech Worlds":1haqx5o9 said:
Quote...
End quote.. M

whoever wrote it went to NFL.com and looked up the defensive rankings and the way the NFL listed it had us 29th they were listing it by some weird stat. The defense at least in the stat that matters most to me did improve from 2011-2012 -2013 that stat being scoring. The offense improved as well, I am sure us scoring more, which meant less time on the field for the defense, plus the ability to be more aggressive helped the defense as well. That was part of his point, everyone talks about how the defense helps RW but not how Rw helps the defense, Heck according to Sherman it was RW who actually cracked Mannings code for them.
We were a top 10 'D' in 2012...according to NFL.com

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just don't understand how anyone could watch RW play and develop an "excuse" for his game. In the Super Bowl, the Donks sold out on Lynch and RW was more than happy to shred them up.

He did it in the MNF Saints game, he eludes pressure after pressure and rather than tuck it he finds an open receiver on the run. It is Seahawks football, it works. RW makes it work better. It wasn't like he was dumping off like Alex Smith, the guy goes downfield. But it is because he has a good defense?

Genius

Steve2222

Reaction score
Let's just put it this way. The 2011 Seahawks would have won more than 7 games if Wilson was the starting QB.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":28w2j1th said:
I just don't understand how anyone could watch RW play and develop an "excuse" for his game. In the Super Bowl, the Donks sold out on Lynch and RW was more than happy to shred them up.

He did it in the MNF Saints game, he eludes pressure after pressure and rather than tuck it he finds an open receiver on the run. It is Seahawks football, it works. RW makes it work better. It wasn't like he was dumping off like Alex Smith, the guy goes downfield. But it is because he has a good defense?

Genius
The average NFL fans look at number of passing attempts and total yards, along with a dash of total passing TDs thrown. They see a mediocre QB that throws all the time as being better than a good or great one that doesn't throw as much.

Veilside

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yewsc2o said:
Nice analysis, but I'd like to ask people a simple question............why does everyone get offended by the term "game manager?"

EVERY QB is a game manager, that's part of their job description. To work in tandem with their coaches to come up with a game plan to manage the game in order to win. If that means throwing the ball 40 times, then that's managing the game in order to win. If that means running the ball 30 times and short ball controlled passing, the that's managing the game to win.

Russell does what it takes to win. He and Pete know that with this defense he doesn't HAVE to throw it 40 times a game like other QB's with inferior defenses do in order to win, or because they have no running game.

This is not Trent Dilfer, who couldn't win having to throw it 40 times a game. Russell could do that if we needed him to, but he doesn't.........so he "manages" the game letting his RB's and defense dominate while making clutch throws when needed.

Being offended by the term "game manager" is stupid, it's time to stop letting those words get under our skin.

It's not about him being called a "game manager" but about what they mean when they use the term "game manager".

I'm pretty sure that you would never hear anyone call Manning, Rodgers, Brady or Brees a "game manager" and that is pretty much the point. If he doesn't throw enough then uniformed people are going to see him the same way as people see Alex Smith.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2eis2x7e said:

Likely because it's not used as a compliment in NFL circles.

Your definition of game manager is fine. The NFL's common use of the term alludes to a circumstance where the QB isnt capable of winning games on his own if need be, which isn't a fair representation of Wilson's capabilities.

Which is why it's fair to bristle at the phrase when uneducated fans/media use it as a put down to diminish his impact on the team.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Game Managers don't put up 26 passing TD back to back each season. Alex Smith being the game manager had 33 pass attempts per game last year and had only 23 TD, even Ben Roethlisberger had 36 pass attempts per game and only made 28 TD. Wilson with his limited 25 attempts per game made those passing attempts count by turning them into TD. Most People/Media aren't giving Wilson enough credit for the points he put up especially against the defense he was playing against last year. Wilson will put up over 30 TD this year, mark my words.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkpower":27leltsg said:
Sgt. Largent":27leltsg said:

Likely because it's not used as a compliment in NFL circles.

Your definition of game manager is fine. The NFL's common use of the term alludes to a circumstance where the QB isnt capable of winning games on his own if need be, which isn't a fair representation of Wilson's capabilities.

Which is why it's fair to bristle at the phrase when uneducated fans/media use it as a put down to diminish his impact on the team.
Agree with this, though I'm not mad. I'm more than happy to watch fools that are stuck on the caveman think of "conventional wisdom" and fantasy football geeks make ass clowns of themselves year after year as RW keeps filling the trophy case with Lombardi trophies, but hey, that's just me! 8)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uv0m9h59 said:

I cant tell you why it rankles anyone else, but it pisses me off that the term "Game Manager" is thrown around by so called experts, as it paints over the WHOLE truth, and dismisses all the extraordinary work, and intelligent play that Russell Wilson has worked so diligently to develop.
To me, it's just laziness on the part of those media dimwits that seem to parrot each other, as almost all of them use the exact same phrase without really delving into the truth.
Yes, Russell Wilson IS a "Game Manager", but that's only the tip of the Iceberg that produces the ice water that flows through his veins.

253hawk

Reaction score
* Ties Manning's rookie TD record (actually beats it in the last week, but, penalty nullifies it)
* Ties Manning for most TD's in first two seasons, becomes only the third QB ever to crack 50 in that period (with Harvin out all season and Rice for half of it plus the OL held together with twine and duct tape)
* Is still just a 'game manager'

Yeah, whatever.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1wv5x1be said:
Anthony!":1wv5x1be said:
... Heck according to Sherman it was RW who actually cracked Mannings code for them.

Interesting... where did you read/hear that from?

An interview Sherman did after the SB, and one he did on KJR.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2l3vkdh2 said:
Anthony!":2l3vkdh2 said:
Tech Worlds":2l3vkdh2 said:
Quote...
End quote.. M

We were a top 10 'D' in 2012...according to NFL.com

Yes but when you first get into depending on how you do it will list the teams in reverse order, and so it looks like we are last when we are not. It did to me the first time and I noticed it so I switched it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":4lhv9rga said:
Game Managers don't put up 26 passing TD back to back each season. Alex Smith being the game manager had 33 pass attempts per game last year and had only 23 TD, even Ben Roethlisberger had 36 pass attempts per game and only made 28 TD. Wilson with his limited 25 attempts per game made those passing attempts count by turning them into TD. Most People/Media aren't giving Wilson enough credit for the points he put up especially against the defense he was playing against last year. Wilson will put up over 30 TD this year, mark my words.

I think Sapp said it best last week when Rw was brought up on the 100 review show, he said that Rw has to play perfect ball to get the stats he does, the wins he does with the limited attempts he does, and all the experts agreed.