Put a check mark next to it

chris98251

Reaction score
Last year Pete said he wanted to improve the pass rush and the WR play.

He went out and got Avril and Quinn worked some magic and we got a inside push with Michael Bennett and Clinton McDonald. Acquiring Percy Harvin didn't pay big dividends on the field till the Super Bowl but his presence elevated the games of Baldwin and Tate, Kearse also stepped up his game in replacing a injured Rice.

So last year better Defensive line play - Check

Better WR play - Check

This year we know he has been quoted as saying we need to protect Wilson better and get better play from our offensive line. Part of the reason Breno and Paul were let go I think, we had coached them up to their peaks but needed more and the value wasn't there for salary.

So we go after players in the draft and those that were redshirts last year that got experience.

I expect better play, Pete has targeted and expected improvement and got it every time he has had issues with a portion opf this team, Wilson and the running game have to have better line play to expect to be able to improve and keep us in contention this coming season. It's also why Carpenter is on a prove it season and his option not picked up.

We can only go up, 32nd in pass rush if I have read the rating correctly is as low as you can go, we also need better running lanes to keep our offense balanced and the defences guessing. Wilson is young but getting hit as much as last year can age a QB quickly, being able to contend going forward is all about keeping him in the game.

I expect us to show some dramatic improvement, we don't need to be top ten mid level would be a staggering achievement off last years performance that still won us a Super Bowl.

Waiting to put a check mark here, based on how we make things happen I am confident.

Cornerback depth is another question that was raised, Pete seemed confident in Maxwell, Lane and Simon and Shead, based on how we have been able to keep trucking there I am confident that Thurmond and Browner are adequately replaced although I will miss the physical aspect of Browner.

I expect another check mark here as well.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm sure they want to fix it. We will see if they did.

I like Bowie and Bailey and their upside.

Wilson cannot get hit like he did last season.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think that the Oline is one of most difficult areas to fix. Just one lineman not getting it done can cause havoc for the offense. But if JS/PC can do the same for the Oline that they have done for the rest of the team it will be better this year. The one thing that concerns me is that there will be some very young players out there and they will need time to get their heads on straight. Like most of you I thought that RW can only endure so much.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
One positive about our rookie o-line guys: they'll go against Avril, Bennett, Irvin, Wagner, & Co. during camp and pre-season. Sure, they'll have to keep learning on the job in real games, but they'll be as ready for NFL action as they can be after dealing with our D this summer.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
It is funny how PC and JS make an announcement about what will be fixed this year, and it gets done. People hear them say that its a smoke screen, but it gets done.
Your right, Pass rush, competition at QB, WR, now Oline. I'm hopeful because they have always found a way to fix what they are focused on, but oline does take a lot of time.
:179422:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2hg4fgat said:
One positive about our rookie o-line guys: they'll go against Avril, Bennett, Irvin, Wagner, & Co. during camp and pre-season. Sure, they'll have to keep learning on the job in real games, but they'll be as ready for NFL action as they can be after dealing with our D this summer.

Truth. Always nice to know that the offense is tasked every time they enter the practice field.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If our O-line performs better specifically in regards to pass protection, hopefully we'll pass more. I not only want to see Wilson pass more to put up better numbers to shut the morons around the world up, but I want it primarily because I think Wilson is capable of being a great passer with an increased workload. I don't want us to just be another "pass all the time and oh yeah run it once in a while" team like so many others are, but it sure would be nice to see something like 54% passing to 46% running.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I do think the O-Line will be younger, nastier and more athletic than last year, it still has to be seen whether that will translate to consistency.

Too many unknowns at this time;

1. Will Okung return from surgery OK?
2. Can Bowie and Bailey handle the full time load?
3. Will Britt start? If so, can he handle the nasty fronts in the NFC West?
4. Is this the new and improve Carp we've been promised during OTA's?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Just curious folks, is Tom Cable's scheme for the Offensive Line, really the right one, when our Quarterbacks are getting hit, hurried, sacked and punished on a regular basis?
I know that other Defenses have doubled down on going after the pass happy Quarterbacks in the League, but for the Seahawks Offensive Line to be ranking at one of the worst, isn't it time to re-think, and repair that scheme, or am I missing something?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tom Cable on the importance of Offensive Line cohesiveness, "You can't underestimate that."

I pray that our offensive line stays healthy this year and for once, just once the same 5 guys play together for most of the games. So tired of the revolving door up front and the hits that Russell and Marshawn are taking.

Can you imagine our running game with a decent Oline? Lynch would have a shot at 2000 yards.

The offensive line will be better this year because they focused on it in the draft and it will be a point of emphasis during training camp.

I know some have questioned Tom Cable's scheme and coaching, but I think the fact that the offensive line has played at the level they have with all the injuries says a lot about his coaching prowess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1jwf5pt8 said:
Just curious folks, is Tom Cable's scheme for the Offensive Line, really the right one, when our Quarterbacks are getting hit, hurried, sacked and punished on a regular basis?
I know that other Defenses have doubled down on going after the pass happy Quarterbacks in the League, but for the Seahawks Offensive Line to be ranking at one of the worst, isn't it time to re-think, and repair that scheme, or am I missing something?

Cable didn't invent the zone blocking scheme, it's basic principals have been around since the 50's. It wasn't until Shanahan and Alex Gibbs took it to the next level back in Denver's heyday that people started copying it.........and Cable is one of those disciples.

Anyway, it's primarily for run blocking, so doesn't really pertain to our problems in protecting the QB, that's pass blocking.........which is fairly basic compared to how complicated the zone blocking gets on run plays. So can't really blame Cable for that.

Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters. IMO THIS has been more of an issue, other than Unger and Okung (when he's not hurt), it's been a bunch of no names. Cable has done a pretty good job with these guys, but never the less it's been a work in progress in protecting Russell.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm thinking that we'll see more Russell making more 3-step drop backs this year in order to take some of the heat off the o-line... especially early in the year and especially if Britt starts at RT in game one.

And I also expect to see Percy flanked out wide and the Hawks running WR screen plays with his speed and elusiveness,

Bevell's play calling needs to help out the o-line... at least some!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Let's not act like the Seahawks most experienced linemen weren't heavily injured last year.
2. Lets's not act like the Seahawks relatively heathly linemen weren't the least experienced ones on the team.
3. Let's not act like Wilson isn't 5'11 and doesn't need to hold the ball longer than most for passing lanes to open up.
4. Let's not act like the Seahawks didn't have WRs that can get instant separation, a reason why they sent picks and threw money at Percy Harvin, one of, if not the best quick passing game play-makers in the league. Also, it didn't hurt to have a hobbled Sidney Rice eventually losing him to injury.
5. Let's also not act like the Seahawks didn't face some of the best defensive linemen, on some of the best defensive lines, on some of the best defenses in the league on a week to week basis.
All added up to equal the atrocious pass-blocking we saw in 2013.
6. Yet, let's not act like despite all of that they still did enough to win 16 games and a Superbowl.
7. Let's not act like there is no potential for improvement for the youngest offense in the league last year (on an age per snapcount basis).

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":4p9is95o said:
1. Let's not act like the Seahawks most experienced linemen weren't heavily injured last year.
2. Lets's not act like the Seahawks relatively heathly linemen weren't the least experienced ones on the team.
3. Let's not act like Wilson isn't 5'11 and doesn't need to hold the ball longer than most for passing lanes to open up.
4. Let's not act like the Seahawks didn't have WRs that can get instant separation, a reason why they sent picks and threw money at Percy Harvin, one of, if not the best quick passing game play-makers in the league. Also, it didn't hurt to have a hobbled Sidney Rice eventually losing him to injury.
5. Let's also not act like the Seahawks didn't face some of the best defensive linemen, on some of the best defensive lines, on some of the best defenses in the league on a week to week basis.
6. Yet, let's not act like despite all of that they still did enough to win 16 games and a Superbowl.
7. Let's not act like there is no potential for improvement for the youngest offense in the league last year (on an age per snapcount basis).

Lets not act like it wasn't a problem and that a QB taking that many hits won't be around long. Health of the line, WR or the conditioning coach not doing his job still adds up to 32 in pass blocking. It's a real problem whether we were successful in over coming it or not.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j3bgvw8n said:
scutterhawk":j3bgvw8n said:

Cable didn't invent the zone blocking scheme, it's basic principals have been around since the 50's. It wasn't until Shanahan and Alex Gibbs took it to the next level back in Denver's heyday that people started copying it.........and Cable is one of those disciples.

Anyway, it's primarily for run blocking, so doesn't really pertain to our problems in protecting the QB, that's pass blocking.........which is fairly basic compared to how complicated the zone blocking gets on run plays. So can't really blame Cable for that.

Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters. IMO THIS has been more of an issue, other than Unger and Okung (when he's not hurt), it's been a bunch of no names. Cable has done a pretty good job with these guys, but never the less it's been a work in progress in protecting Russell.

Look at SF's OL....it's chock full of 1st rounders, yet we still get home to the QB. Finding 5 OLmen that can run block at an elite level and pass block at an elite level is extremely difficult if not impossible. It's why run teams generally don't pass pro well, while pass pro "finesse" teams usually don't run block well. Teams live Denver can run the ball, but it's usually based on an imbalance of numbers as teams try to protect against the pass.

We're never going to be great at pass pro if we want to be an elite smash mouthed run team. That's part of the reason Carroll wants a more mobile QB; he's not looking to run and was never involved in the read option in college, but a moblie QB survives better behind a run heavy OL. I also feel it's why we moved on from Hasselbeck to Jackson. I don't know if they honestly thought Jackson was the answer, but Hass would've won us more games (if he survived the OL).

I agree with the OP in that every time the coaching staff and FO have looked to improve an area, they've done it. I don't see the investment in the OL to make huge strides but it won't take much for an improvement over last year. If Okung and Unger can stay healthy, and we get continuity out of RT and LG, and Sweezy can keep improving, we're going to be fine.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":f6f1ys1i said:
Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters. IMO THIS has been more of an issue, other than Unger and Okung (when he's not hurt), it's been a bunch of no names.
Seriously? Carp still hasn't reached his full potential, and Moffitt was a bust between his ears, but those were two early round picks. You might say Gallery and Paul MQ were scrap heap free agents, but that makes just as many high round picks as scrap heap free agents. Breno wasn't a scrap heap free agent, he was plucked from the Packers practice squad. And yes, we have quite a few low round draft picks...

But you say Cable thinks he can mold them into quality starters as if he hasn't already done so. Breno was a quality starter. Sweezy is a quality starter. Bowie was quality enough to play himself into a start in the playoffs. Could they be better? Sure. The young players obviously have a lot of room to grow and get better, and the line will get better as a unit with more time to play together.

But you make it sound like Cable thinks he can turn junk into gold, and therefore is complacent about getting quality players, and I don't agree with that at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2va9m743 said:
Sgt. Largent":2va9m743 said:
scutterhawk":2va9m743 said:

Look at SF's OL....it's chock full of 1st rounders, yet we still get home to the QB. Finding 5 OLmen that can run block at an elite level and pass block at an elite level is extremely difficult if not impossible. It's why run teams generally don't pass pro well, while pass pro "finesse" teams usually don't run block well. Teams live Denver can run the ball, but it's usually based on an imbalance of numbers as teams try to protect against the pass.

How many times have we sacked Kaepernick? I would need to look it up, but I don't remember "getting home" very often last year on him..........and this is the Hawks, SF has one of the best lines in football, #2 to be exact. They murder everybody else.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... e-rankings

Hawks? #20. So sorry, poor comparison on your part. Draft picks do matter, especially on the O-Line and D-Line.

The difference between our O-line and D-line is John and Pete have been much more successful finding quality free agents on the D-line than O-line.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2q7ztaus said:
If our O-line performs better specifically in regards to pass protection, hopefully we'll pass more. I not only want to see Wilson pass more to put up better numbers to shut the morons around the world up, but I want it primarily because I think Wilson is capable of being a great passer with an increased workload. I don't want us to just be another "pass all the time and oh yeah run it once in a while" team like so many others are, but it sure would be nice to see something like 54% passing to 46% running.

Semi-related, Hawkblogger has been doing a series on the teams that have been able to repeat (Pats, Cowboys, Niners) and one of the points he is making is that when these teams suffered (2002 Pat's missed the playoffs for example) they had switched up their gameplans. In 2002 Brady led the league in some passing numbers, but they failed to make the playoffs. Once they revamped their run game and became more balanced in 2003, they again won a SB. Similar things happened to Aikman and Montana when they increased their workload.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":262iofh6 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":262iofh6 said:

Lets not act like it wasn't a problem and that a QB taking that many hits won't be around long. Health of the line, WR or the conditioning coach not doing his job still adds up to 32 in pass blocking. It's a real problem whether we were successful in over coming it or not.

Sure it was a huge problem, I am not denying that... but with health and experience comes consistency...obviously their is always a possibility injuries could derail solidarity and chemistry. But you can't worry about that too much, because we have solid players that play to their potential and remain healthy can dominate the game.

Also, I felt Cable did his job well enough... he has taken scrubs and turned them into to players, he has taken young players like Sweezy and Bowie and they were able to start Playoff games. Maybe the results aren't always pretty but I remember worst O-Lines that had seemingly better and more experienced talent 08-10. I'm not saying Cable is the best, but for what he had to work with, he did more than enough in my book getting players able to contribute.

Seahawks also invested heavily in Harvin, last season, and as well as drafted Richardson and Norwood... all three WRs have outstanding ability or the potential ability to get open and separate. They are WRs that will help take the burden off Wilson, especially when the Seahawks spread out and put their best athletes on the field... defenses won't be able to just key in on Wilson or Lynch for that matter.

Also, my post was more directed at Sgt. Largent than you Chris, sorry I didn't not clarify that.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
onanygivensunday":19ij4fv8 said:
I'm thinking that we'll see more Russell making more 3-step drop backs this year in order to take some of the heat off the o-line... especially early in the year and especially if Britt starts at RT in game one.

And I also expect to see Percy flanked out wide and the Hawks running WR screen plays with his speed and elusiveness,

Bevell's play calling needs to help out the o-line... at least some!

Saw a lot of 3 step drops and quick slants in the Super Bowl. I expect to see a lot more of this in the mix this year. I remember seeing a lot of dropped/ off target slant routes late in the year. Not a lot in the beginning of the season. I think that the addition of players (or getting ones back from injury) with different skill sets Harvin and PRich (quickness/speed) and Norwood, Matthews, and Rice (size) will open up the playbook. No offense to Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse but I see all these guys in the same/ similar mold (mostly possession/ YAC recievers). Love to see some speed packages with Harvin, PRich, and CMike on the field at the same time. Rosterbation aside, PA deep routes are going to have a higher sack rate than Peyton Manning throwing short crosses and screens all day. PC says he wants to get better protection along the line. I expect we'll see a bump up to 8-10th this year. I think that'll really be more of change to the play calling than marked improvement along the line.