Pete in the USC Hall of Fame

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm putting this here because of Pete; mods if you feel this belongs in the NCAA forum, please move the post. Thanks.

Pete Carroll is one of 16 luminaries just announced as the newest members of USC's Athletic Hall of Fame. He and the other 15 inductees will be introduced at halftime of the 9/27 game vs. Oregon State at the Coliseum (that's the Hawks' bye week). The formal induction dinner will be May 16, 2015 at the McKay Center (call 213-740-4155 for tickets).

See http://www.usctrojans.com/genrel/070714aaa.html.

Fight on and congrats to Pete! I look forward to the days when he is added to the NFL Hall of Fame and the Seahawks' Ring of Honor--after we have won a whole bunch of Super Bowls!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was listening to the radio of Boise sportstalk and they did some references to Pete the Cheat and wondered if he would garner the attention to be able to get into the seahawk wall of shame etc. Sometimes I listen to the stupidest garbage around for radio. I should look for blogs to post to my zune and listen to some real podcasts that mean something. Or listen to music.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I saw this on Twitter yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see how he's received, as most USC fans I know are still royally pissed at Pete for leaving the program suddenly, and under the guise of impending sanctions.

You'd think USC would have let a little more time lapse before doing this, so the wounds aren't so fresh with the boosters and fans.

brettb3

Reaction score
I don't know. When he went to USC in February to speak he was received rapturously. I'll bet the vast majority of USC people are over it by now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brettb3":2fan9tck said:
When he went to USC in February to speak he was received rapturously. I'll bet the vast majority of USC people are over it by now.
Or they never blamed him for what Reggie Bush did, which was so stupid.

drdiags

Reaction score
Plus, unless you one of the biggest cynics out there, Pete said if he knew the NCAA was going to finally act on the Bush matter that year, he would never have left USC. I know that takes a leap of faith but I believe him. USC fans can still hold a grudge, that is their call since it was their beloved that was damaged but in the long run why not show love for someone who put them back on the map after several down years.

Pete is just like any high profile persona. He is going to attract extremes from both sides. For me, just looking at his body of work, the man has my respect. Is he human and capable of mistakes? Yep. Seems the University has decided to keep him close rather than push him away. Smart move on their part.

I still want to kick Billy Joe in the rear for helping to bring down the Dawg Father, but in the end history cannot be re-written. Boosters are necessary evils for the big name programs. But they will extract a payment for those who want to live above reproach.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I don't know the guy at all but from everything I have ready about him in the past 4 years - he seems like as genuine a public figure there is. He left SC because an NFL team was ready to pay him a ton of money to take control of the franchise. Paul Allen offering him the opportunity and the sanctions on the program are completely separate events.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ti1vv2j said:

It'll be interesting to see how he's received, as most USC fans I know are still royally pissed at Pete for leaving the program suddenly, and under the guise of impending sanctions.

You'd think USC would have let a little more time lapse before doing this, so the wounds aren't so fresh with the boosters and fans.

The USC fans I know from living in SoCal revere and love Pete. I know some that hoped it wouldn't work in Seattle just so he'd come back. Now they're pulling for him to repeat, so he proves everything at the pro level and finishes out his days at USC.

He held a lecture for USC's business school right after the Super Bowl and received a standing ovation afterward. The only people in LA who bag on Pete are typically either UCLA fans or SF transplants.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I was a USC fan looong before Pete arrived there, and I have never heard of any USC fan bad mouthing him for leaving.
They were sorry he left, but no one begrudged him leaving for a great opportunity.
I became a Seahawk fan four years ago when Pete left SC to rescue the North country, which he did a pretty good job of...
Only people bad mouthing him were those people who were constantly getting their butts kicked year after year, so they call him a cheat, just as do many NFL fans for the same reason.
He didn't cheat and didn't leave under suspicious circumstances...
Pete is loved in LA and one of the few people who could walk through the roughest part of LA at midnight and not have a thing to worry about. He actually does that.. He is as popular in the hood as he is at the CLINK...
FIGHT ON... and GO HAWKS..

ivotuk

Reaction score
drdiags":1yjvws9q said:
Plus, unless you one of the biggest cynics out there, Pete said if he knew the NCAA was going to finally act on the Bush matter that year, he would never have left USC. I know that takes a leap of faith but I believe him. USC fans can still hold a grudge, that is their call since it was their beloved that was damaged but in the long run why not show love for someone who put them back on the map after several down years.

Pete is just like any high profile persona. He is going to attract extremes from both sides. For me, just looking at his body of work, the man has my respect. Is he human and capable of mistakes? Yep. Seems the University has decided to keep him close rather than push him away. Smart move on their part.

I still want to kick Billy Joe in the rear for helping to bring down the Dawg Father, but in the end history cannot be re-written. Boosters are necessary evils for the big name programs. But they will extract a payment for those who want to live above reproach.

I believe him too. Pete has no reason to lie and I believe that he really does care that much.

The NCAA has too much power and appears to rage with jealousy the way they went after USC for something that Reggie Bush did. The Trojans should have never been sanctioned. What's the point of penalizing a school and students for something one student did?

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qhvn5up said:

The USC fans who are mad at him are in the minority as far as I'm aware. When Matt Barkley broke USC's TD record in 2012, they played a video on the Coliseum HD board with messages to Matt from Trojan greats and other local sports stars. There was applause for Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Keyshawn, et al. When Pete came on there was a HUGE roar of cheering and applause.

As someone else mentioned, he also had a great reception at his recent appearance on campus.

In my experience, the fans who are mad are those who only got the sanctions story from the press and don't know much about just how bad of a hatchet job the NCAA did.

RiverDog

Reaction score
sc85sis":2s0fk09x said:
Sgt. Largent":2s0fk09x said:

The USC fans who are mad at him are in the minority as far as I'm aware. When Matt Barkley broke USC's TD record in 2012, they played a video on the Coliseum HD board with messages to Matt from Trojan greats and other local sports stars. There was applause for Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Keyshawn, et al. When Pete came on there was a HUGE roar of cheering and applause.

As someone else mentioned, he also had a great reception at his recent appearance on campus.

In my experience, the fans who are mad are those who only got the sanctions story from the press and don't know much about just how bad of a hatchet job the NCAA did.

I read the entire NCAA report regarding the USC sanctions several times over. I do not agree that it was a 'hatchet job.' They spent 4 years investigating that program and the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of payments/loans received by Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo, along with other lesser violations.

I don't know how much Pete knew of what was going on, but there's no doubt that USC's athletic department, of which Pete was a major part of, was a poorly run, poorly monitored program. Not all of it was Pete's fault as much of the blame has to fall on the shoulders of Mike Garrett, the AD at the time, as their compliance department was woefully inadequate when compared to similar programs the size of USC's. But the football team was/is the 500 lb. gorilla in D1 college athletic departments, and the head coach is always the one that's held accountable.

What I blame Pete for was that he ran a very loose ship, allowed virtually unrestricted access to his locker rooms, practices, sidelines, even post game in his locker room, whereby some of the leaches looking to cash in on some unsuspecting, dirt floor poor, babes in the woods, naïve athletes that were unaccustomed to the kind of money those leaches were flashing in front of them. Heck, Pete even posed for a picture with Bush and some middle aged white guy that turned out to be one of the leaches that was 'loaning' Bush tens of thousands of dollars, without so much as asking someone "who is that guy?" I don't accept the "Don't blame me, I was just the piano player in the whorehouse" excuse. If he didn't know, he should have known.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Pete's our coach, the best one we've had in our franchise IMO, and he can coach my team as long as he wants. What happened at USC has nothing to do with his present situation in Seattle.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
RiverDog":15m21qmy said:
sc85sis":15m21qmy said:
Sgt. Largent":15m21qmy said:

I read the entire NCAA report regarding the USC sanctions several times over. I do not agree that it was a 'hatchet job.' They spent 4 years investigating that program and the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of payments/loans received by Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo, along with other lesser violations.

I don't know how much Pete knew of what was going on, but there's no doubt that USC's athletic department, of which Pete was a major part of, was a poorly run, poorly monitored program. Not all of it was Pete's fault as much of the blame has to fall on the shoulders of Mike Garrett, the AD at the time, as their compliance department was woefully inadequate when compared to similar programs the size of USC's. But the football team was/is the 500 lb. gorilla in D1 college athletic departments, and the head coach is always the one that's held accountable.

What I blame Pete for was that he ran a very loose ship, allowed virtually unrestricted access to his locker rooms, practices, sidelines, even post game in his locker room, whereby some of the leaches looking to cash in on some unsuspecting, dirt floor poor, babes in the woods, naïve athletes that were unaccustomed to the kind of money those leaches were flashing in front of them. Heck, Pete even posed for a picture with Bush and some middle aged white guy that turned out to be one of the leaches that was 'loaning' Bush tens of thousands of dollars, without so much as asking someone "who is that guy?" I don't accept the "Don't blame me, I was just the piano player in the whorehouse" excuse. If he didn't know, he should have known.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Pete's our coach, the best one we've had in our franchise IMO, and he can coach my team as long as he wants. What happened at USC has nothing to do with his present situation in Seattle.

Compliance was woefully understaffed and USC certainly deserved sanctions. It's the level of sanctions, the way the investigation was handled, the made-up standard that "high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance" (that is not in the bylaws, was never previously applied and hasn't been applied since) and so on that comprise the "hatchet job" to which I referred.

As for Pete, no violations were actually shown to have occurred as a result of the "troubling" open practices, etc. So while Paul Dee and co. could be troubled by them, they couldn't truthfully state that the practices actually caused any sort of issues. Lake and Michaels (the would-be marketers) were located in San Diego where the Bush family lived; they never needed to attend a practice to hook up with Lamar Griffin, Reggie's stepfather at the time. And having attended one of those open practices, I can tell you it would have been far easier for someone to approach a player outside of practice (or walking to/from practice) than during the practice itself.

Of course, I think it's unrealistic for any collegiate head coach in today's era to be able to monitor the activity of all their players and those players' families, but what do I know. It's not like those guys work 14 hours or more a day or anything...

Edited to add: By the way, I thank you for having actually read the report. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear people say Pete was paying players when no such thing occurred or was ever part of the Bush mess.

RiverDog

Reaction score
sc85sis":3453qnrc said:
Compliance was woefully understaffed and USC certainly deserved sanctions. It's the level of sanctions, the way the investigation was handled, the made-up standard that "high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance" (that is not in the bylaws, was never previously applied and hasn't been applied since) and so on that comprise the "hatchet job" to which I referred.

As for Pete, no violations were actually shown to have occurred as a result of the "troubling" open practices, etc. So while Paul Dee and co. could be troubled by them, they couldn't truthfully state that the practices actually caused any sort of issues. Lake and Michaels (the would-be marketers) were located in San Diego where the Bush family lived; they never needed to attend a practice to hook up with Lamar Griffin, Reggie's stepfather at the time. And having attended one of those open practices, I can tell you it would have been far easier for someone to approach a player outside of practice (or walking to/from practice) than during the practice itself.

Of course, I think it's unrealistic for any collegiate head coach in today's era to be able to monitor the activity of all their players and those players' families, but what do I know. It's not like those guys work 14 hours or more a day or anything...

Edited to add: By the way, I thank you for having actually read the report. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear people say Pete was paying players when no such thing occurred or was ever part of the Bush mess.

IMO there were justifiable reasons why USC got hit as hard as they did. Several of the USC staff actively deceived and outright lied to the investigators, which was one of the reasons why it took so long for them to complete their work. The running backs coach, McNair, was specifically mentioned as being dishonest with investigators. Another reason was the amount of money involved, reports of up to $300,000 for Bush and his family, plus there was an air of permissiveness and non compliance on the campus that the report cited, of which Pete's tendency to run a loose ship was a significant contributing factor. USC "didn't get it", allowed Garrett to continue as AD and didn't discipline McNair until after the sanctions were announced. The NCAA had to hit them with a 2x4. In contrast, Ohio State cooperated completely with investigators, forced out their long time head coach, and as a consequence, got off much lighter, much to the dismay of many USC fans.

I agree about it being unrealistic for a coach to keep a personal eye on the 80 some football players they have on scholarship. But not the one or two stars that represent the biggest temptation for leaches like Lake. Personally, I don't think Pete was prepared for the college game when he took over at USC. He spent most of his coaching career in the NFL, where players are older, richer, and aren't expected to be a father figure to them.

I hear ya about passing judgment without having read the report, and I appreciate your acknowledgement for my having done so. It wasn't all that lengthy and was easy to find. I don't understand why people couldn't take the time to read it before getting deeply engaged in a debate.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
RiverDog":2v6ab6fp said:
IMO there were justifiable reasons why USC got hit as hard as they did. Several of the USC staff actively deceived and outright lied to the investigators, which was one of the reasons why it took so long for them to complete their work. The running backs coach, McNair, was specifically mentioned as being dishonest with investigators. Another reason was the amount of money involved, reports of up to $300,000 for Bush and his family, plus there was an air of permissiveness and non compliance on the campus that the report cited, of which Pete's tendency to run a loose ship was a significant contributing factor. USC "didn't get it", allowed Garrett to continue as AD and didn't discipline McNair until after the sanctions were announced. The NCAA had to hit them with a 2x4. In contrast, Ohio State cooperated completely with investigators, forced out their long time head coach, and as a consequence, got off much lighter, much to the dismay of many USC fans.

I agree about it being unrealistic for a coach to keep a personal eye on the 80 some football players they have on scholarship. But not the one or two stars that represent the biggest temptation for leaches like Lake. Personally, I don't think Pete was prepared for the college game when he took over at USC. He spent most of his coaching career in the NFL, where players are older, richer, and aren't expected to be a father figure to them.

I hear ya about passing judgment without having read the report, and I appreciate your acknowledgement for my having done so. It wasn't all that lengthy and was easy to find. I don't understand why people couldn't take the time to read it before getting deeply engaged in a debate.
The only person I know of who was accused of lying was Todd McNair. He is currently suing the NCAA for defamation. The initial ruling by the judge in the case was that NCAA emails showed malice towards McNair. The NCAA is appealing that decision and the judgement that the emails should be made public.

Here are some interesting articles regarding the investigation as it relates to McNair:
https://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1096117
https://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1098624
https://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1114308
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp ... story.html

As for the rest of the USC folks, the report clearly indicated that USC cooperated fully with the investigation. In fact, Reggie is the one who more or less stonewalled things for a long time due to his lawsuits with Lake and Michaels. Since he'd gone pro, USC couldn't force Reggie to do anything.

RiverDog

Reaction score
sc85sis":20dlw5ld said:
RiverDog":20dlw5ld said:

The only person I know of who was accused of lying was Todd McNair. He is currently suing the NCAA for defamation. The initial ruling by the judge in the case was that NCAA emails showed malice towards McNair. The NCAA is appealing that decision and the judgement that the emails should be made public.

Here are some interesting articles regarding the investigation as it relates to McNair:

As for the rest of the USC folks, the report clearly indicated that USC cooperated fully with the investigation. In fact, Reggie is the one who more or less stonewalled things for a long time due to his lawsuits with Lake and Michaels. Since he'd gone pro, USC couldn't force Reggie to do anything.

As you stated, Reggie Bush, and his family members, were uncooperative with investigators. Whether in school or not, Bush is still a member of the USC family. It's unfortunate for USC that Bush didn't cooperate, and I wish there were a means for disciplining player and coaches, such as Bush and Carroll, that depart before sanctions are imposed. Sanctions are extremely unfair, and do not serve justice. They leave other completely innocent players and coaches to pay for the actions of those that left others to pay for their misdeeds and used the school as a vehicle to advance their own careers. But sanctions is the only method the NCAA has available as an enforcement tool.

I would support some sort of agreement between the NFL and the NCAA to levy fines and suspensions for those that leave. All sanctions do is provide a deterrent for potential rule breakers. They sort of did that with Jim Tressell and Terrell Pryor at Ohio State, but I'd take it about 10 steps further.

BTW, the other thing that USC did to show that they "didn't get it" was that after Carroll left, they went out and hired that slime ball Lane Kiffen. It was equivalent to a poke in the eye to put that snake in as your head coach immediately after being reprimanded and told that your school has a poor atmosphere regarding rule compliance.

Subzero717

Reaction score
No matter how you look at it the punishment doesnt fit the crime if you are comparing to other schools and their infractions. SC got hammered. No Im not an SC fan.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RiverDog":166or8af said:
sc85sis":166or8af said:
RiverDog":166or8af said:

As you stated, Reggie Bush, and his family members, were uncooperative with investigators. Whether in school or not, Bush is still a member of the USC family. It's unfortunate for USC that Bush didn't cooperate, and I wish there were a means for disciplining player and coaches, such as Bush and Carroll, that depart before sanctions are imposed. Sanctions are extremely unfair, and do not serve justice. They leave other completely innocent players and coaches to pay for the actions of those that left others to pay for their misdeeds and used the school as a vehicle to advance their own careers. But sanctions is the only method the NCAA has available as an enforcement tool.

I would support some sort of agreement between the NFL and the NCAA to levy fines and suspensions for those that leave. All sanctions do is provide a deterrent for potential rule breakers. They sort of did that with Jim Tressell and Terrell Pryor at Ohio State, but I'd take it about 10 steps further.

BTW, the other thing that USC did to show that they "didn't get it" was that after Carroll left, they went out and hired that slime ball Lane Kiffen. It was equivalent to a poke in the eye to put that snake in as your head coach immediately after being reprimanded and told that your school has a poor atmosphere regarding rule compliance.
Funny that when your argument is countered with actual facts of the matter, you suddenly start stretching beyond all reason and lose all objectivity. Bush 'still part of the USC family' even though his lack of cooperation happened as a pro? ... and that somehow translates to the school itself not cooperating, thus justifying the rediculously lopsided sanctions? Your posts were good until this point. Can't quite put my finger on the reason, but it appears you have an axe to grind.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The bottom line is the NCAA never provided any evidence that Carroll or anyone else from USC knew that Reggie Bush and his family were accepting benefits from wannabe agents in San Diego. These players are young kids who will make mistakes that cannot be prevented by the school itself.

There will always be players accepting benefits, but there may never be a school that is punished as harshly for it as USC was by a Paul Dee-led Infractions Committee. By the way, before Paul Dee became the head of the Infractions Committee, he was the AD at the University of Miami when the school was sanctioned for intentionally falsifying Pell Grant applications so that their student athletes received hundreds of thousands of dollars in illicit benefits.

Miami was also recently sanctioned, although not nearly as harshly as USC was, for the hundreds of thousands of dollars in benefits that were provided to dozens of student athletes by a booster named Nevin Shapiro during Paul Dee's tenure at Miami. These infractions by Miami seem much worse than one player and his family covertly taking benefits from people with absolutely no connection to the university; people who ironically were actually paying the player to forego a year of eligibility in order to enter the NFL.