Why I love this team...

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I know my two cents is not even worth that but here it goes:

1) The owner. Paul Allen doesn't interfere or try to grab headlines. He hires talented people and lets them make the decisions they were hired to do.
2) The head coach. His whole philosophy is what the game of football needed. The old style of meathead coaching is in the past. It might work for a select few but times have changed and so have the players. Pete has forged a new style that I feel will be the roadmap of future coaching in the league.
3) The GM. John Schneider is smart, savvy, and doesn't look for the obvious. The combination of JS and PC is a match that most of the league is jealous of. The two are team in themselves the way they work together. I believe this trickles down to the rest of the team as well.
4) The QB. Russell Wilson is everything you could want in a quarterback. On the field he does what he is supposed to do. He wins games. Game manager...Whatever. Ask yourself this...How many QB's in the league today can manage a game the way he does. He is elite. He is also the perfect front man of the field for out team. Smart, well spoken, charitable, and charismatic. He has it all.
5) The way they are redesigning the offense. The are run first but they are becoming a speed team. Speed on the outside, sure hands in the middle and a grind it out run game. What a combo. The offense looks like it is coming into its own this season. The pieces are coming together. Everything designed to work together. Like the defense.
6) The defense. I like how they rotates guys in and out to keep them fresh and put the ace in place for the play. They don't pay any mind to who is getting the glory. Everyone is important but no one is un-replaceable.
7) The LOB. There swagger and chemistry. I think the chemistry is just as important as the talent. The way they work together is not something that can be made overnight. It has to be grown.
8) Special teams. Not many people give this much thought but it seems like they have. We have kickers that are reliable and can be counted on. Our coverage ability is excellent (I am not sure of this but I don't believe anyone to it back to the house on our special teams last year).
9) The chips on the shoulder. PC and JS look for this and breed it with the way they draft late round people and take on un-drafted FA. It gives this team a personality and grittiness that plays out on the field.
10. The 12's. What a rabid fan base. I personally like when I here national people talking about Seahawk fans as a bit over the top. How many teams had a home field advantage in the Super Bowl 3000 miles away from there home town? It is obvious when home games are played the players and fans feed off of each other. The video of the team on the way to the airport with all the fans lining the streets to wish them well was moving. Amazing. Makes me want to move there.

There is more but I will not bore you any longer. It is the offseason and I would like to do my share of filling the lines with some positive.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Great points, not boring. If I may add, there seems to be something a bit more intangible that this team has given Seattle. Their rise has, in a way, been a healing process for the sports fans of this city. When the Sonics were ripped away, primed with potential, I think that left a wound that never quite healed. Every aspect of our city was on the rise (I believe we're currently the fasting growing city in the US in terms of population and economics), but we'd been gutted and left with memories of past greatness. Not to knock Kemp, Payton, Schrempf, Largent, Jones, Griffey, Buhner and other heroes of sports past, but you can't live on memories of past greatness forever. If you did that you'd be a 49er fan today (I had to, sorry).

Seeing the evolution of the Seahawks as a team, and seeing guys like Sherman, Baldwin, Wilson and Coleman, who were at times passed over and told no, watching them rise above to win it all, has buoyed the fans of this city greatly, and I think that faith and pride will carry over to other sports as well.

evergreen

Reaction score
I agree completely. At first I thought it was going to be a HOF former/current Seahawks team and I thought we are the best right now. Bottom to top in just four years 22 days! :thirishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It most definitely starts with Allen.

The NFL is full of meddling dysfunctional owners who don't let the people they hire do their job. There's a reason Allen is one of the most successful businessmen in the world, he hires brilliant people, and most importantly lets those people do their job.

Everyone has been praising JS and Pete, and rightfully so.........but make no mistake it starts at the top.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Last night Mrs. Wow asked how certain I was of a repeat. Being the realist, that question (coming from her) caused me pause. Repeats seldom happen. Then the light went off and the words flowed. I told her this was clearly the best team in the NFL, and while the best team doesn't always win, there's no team I would pick over our Hawks in 14 and I say that using all the criteria and rationally of any (former) bookie. I love this team and I love our chances. A healthy 14 team will be better than the 13 Hawk team and that's a team I view as a potential all timer. What's not to love?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Good list...the most underrated aspect of the team is the rotation that occurs on the D-line. Everybody is involved and provides their own unique look. Most importantly, it's keeping these guys fresh for the long haul, which is so underrated once the last quarter of the season & playoffs hit. I'm truly surprised more teams haven't embraced this ideology. I'd rather have 6 solid-good DL over a few studs + a bunch of uniform fillers.

It's funny; the Mariners are having a nice year, but I just have ZERO connection to the team. The Seahawks have really spoiled us with excitement and players that are easy to root for. It's going to be a fun ride for awhile.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2oyz79tt said:
Good list...the most underrated aspect of the team is the rotation that occurs on the D-line. Everybody is involved and provides their own unique look. Most importantly, it's keeping these guys fresh for the long haul, which is so underrated once the last quarter of the season & playoffs hit. I'm truly surprised more teams haven't embraced this ideology. I'd rather have 6 solid-good DL over a few studs + a bunch of uniform fillers.

It's funny; the Mariners are having a nice year, but I just have ZERO connection to the team. The Seahawks have really spoiled us with excitement and players that are easy to root for. It's going to be a fun ride for awhile.

They've certainly managed to reduce the Sonic sting (for me).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
evergreen":32zjtr5x said:
I agree completely. At first I thought it was going to be a HOF former/current Seahawks team and I thought we are the best right now. Bottom to top in just four years 22 days! :thirishdrinkers:

.......12 hours.....12 minutes...and 12 seconds....he he he :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: