Players You Doubted That Surprised You

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Seen this in another sports forum so I decided to make one for .net.

Who were some players on the team you doubted that surprised you and players you praised that kind of disappointed you?

I'll start with the player I kind of doubted. Luke Willson. I was kind of hard on him and felt that he was a waste of pick but he definitely stepped it up.

The player I was high on was James Carpenter. I know some fans was upset when we drafted him so high but I liked that pick but really since he's been on the team he hasn't impressed me one bit. Idk if its an injury early in his career but he hasn't lived up to my expectations at all but I hope that changes next season.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
R Wilson... Wanted him in the draft but during some of his early struggles I felt maybe PC was starting him too soon. Now I see that was probably the best possible thing for him because he's the type of player that learns from his mistakes and I rarely see him repeat them. Been completely on board since the NE game

On the other end...I'd have to say Turbin. I was hoping to see him get a bigger share of the carries but now it seems like CMike has probably leapfrogged him

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
Not so much a player for me, but I had doubts of what Pete could do in the NFL. Some of the early moves that were made left me scratching my head. I will say he had a vision and stuck with it, and I no longer doubt anything he does.

Most recent player that I am disappointed with has to be Moffitt. The guy had all the tools to succeed, but lacked the desire.

Erebus

Reaction score
Before PC/JS established a track record of finding and developing late round talent, I didn't understand the hype around here for Kam Chancellor. Before the 2011 season some people were calling him our SS of the future. And then when the Seahawks gave him a big extension, I thought he was just another solid player we could replace.

I had high hopes for Bruce Irvin as a pass rusher. The jury is still out on him, but it looks like his pass rushing role is severely limited and they want to play him as a linebacker.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Although I never really doubted him, Marshawn Lynch surprised me with his tenacity and effort... what a gem!! Helluva a trade for the Hawks.

Biggest disappointments, CB Jesus, Carpenter and Moffitt... and Mike Williams after 2010.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sparkchaser737":2iuflbj9 said:
Not so much a player for me, but I had doubts of what Pete could do in the NFL. Some of the early moves that were made left me scratching my head. I will say he had a vision and stuck with it, and I no longer doubt anything he does.

Most recent player that I am disappointed with has to be Moffitt. The guy had all the tools to succeed, but lacked the desire.

Good call...I was really upset when I heard of PC's hire. It didn't take long to win me over though

Tical21

Reaction score
Russell and Wagner. I didn't think either one of them would ever become starting caliber players.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Earl Thomas. I couldnt fathom why they didnt take Taylor Mays if they wanted a safety. Yikes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I was (once) "in with Flynn". Feel good in knowing I have punched myself in the groin numerous times since questioning Pete on that fine draft day. Still it haunts me.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Aaron Curry

1. I doubted him because I wanted them to take Crabtree

2. He surprised me by sucking more than I ever thought a high round pick could.

HawkWow

Reaction score
rjdriver":3qxboq3j said:
Aaron Curry

1. I doubted him because I wanted them to take Crabtree

2. He surprised me by sucking more than I ever thought a high round pick could.

I wouldn't be too hard on myself over that one. You were in good company. Who knew?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
pmedic920":2engvl8o said:
Kearse, now one of my current favs.

Kearse was also mine. Frankly after 2012 I couldn't stand the guy, after his average play and his inane appearances on the Real Rob Report, I thought for sure he'd be a 1-year wonder and would be bounced in training camp last year.

Instead he became a solid player making 2 of the biggest plays of the year.

1) TD catch against Carolina, that catch lead to our 1st win last year, incredibly important play.
2) SF TD catch on 4th down. Easily a top 5 play of all of last year for the Seahawks.

So I'm much more fond of him this year than last. I'm really hopeful that my man Kevin Norwood can make the squad, I think that would give us a really good, young group of WR's. Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, P-Rich, Norwood & Lockette (if 6 are kept.)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Definitely Kearse. I tend to be unfairly harsh on Husky players because i think they get overhyped by the mutual fan-base.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Golden Tate. I was excited at first, then I lost faith, then I loved him...now he's gone and I'm indifferent.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkWow":336igax2 said:
^ I won't be stunned if it's Norwood that ultimately bounces Kearse.

I agree with this. I see Norwood as a bigger, faster version of Kearse. After this year IIRC Kearse will be a free agent, I doubt they will want to lock him up long term. I see Norwood being his eventual replacement in a year or so.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Surprise: Sherm. How many 5th round players whose body type (long) goes against "accepted wisdom" (short, quick) turn out to be the best player in the league? Not many. I thought that we should have picked him up as an undrafted free agent AT BEST.

Thanks to Pete, he and BB have completely transformed what the CB position is in the NFL. I, like most, didn't see it coming (I chalked up BB's success his first year as a "Michael Boulware" fluke--ha!)

Disappointment: Flynn. Even though I was excited by Russell as a prospect, I figured that Flynn would be Hass 2.0 here. Mostly steady, weaker arm, above average intelligence and accuracy. And that would be enough to keep Wilson on the bench as Seneca 2.0.