Baldwin "a legit #1 WR" per FO.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... -vs-dalton

He high-points the ball, like the touchdown in coverage against Minnesota. He tracks the ball very well. Baldwin's rate of over-the-shoulder catches (12.0 percent) is the highest among the 19 seasons studied. He made a one-handed touchdown (thrown by Tarvaris Jackson) against Jacksonville. This is a legit No. 1 receiver in the making.

kearly

Reaction score
It stings a bit seeing Stills #1 on that list. He was the late round WR I wanted the most in 2013. I thought he was Oklahoma's version of Golden Tate. Terrific balance, great deep threat. Marvin Jones is rare case of the guy every draft pundit on earth said was a sleeper before the draft, and actually turns into a late round steal.

Baldwin had some studly plays last season. The unreal toe-tappers vs. Carolina and another team (Titans?). The TD catch he had right before halftime against the Vikings was awesome as well. Baldwin did more than stay healthy last season, he got better too.

I think the reason Baldwin's efficiency stats are so stellar is because he was Wilson's go to guy when Wilson was scrambling to set up the deep ball.

To me, a #1 WR is a guy who defenses game plan. Baldwin isn't such a player with us, though he might be if he was doing Edelman's job in New England.

Baldwin will start the season as Seattle's starting outside receiver, which technically means he will be Seattle's #1 WR. He's good enough on the outside that I think he's a legit #1 guy, not because he dominates or is feared but because at the end of the day he's an effective player. I'd compare it to the debates people used to have over Jamie Moyer being a #1 pitcher when he was putting up top numbers with an 85 mph fastball and his super-human ability to make batters guess wrong.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Kearly said exactly what I was thinking. Baldwin is effective, but not dominating. But we really don't need a dominating WR, just one that is good at his niche. Richardson could be another guy like that.

I think Baldwin's numbers won't get much better, even though he's getting an elevated role. I theorize that Norwood is going to take some of Baldwin's numbers when Wilson is scrambling, because Norwood's game is basically clutch catches at big moments when he needed to bail his QB out with contested catches. He's also big enough to win jump balls consistently.

The one thing I really like about Baldwin is that he's been a Niner killer. He led the team in receiving in both regular season games against the digits last year.

OrFan

Reaction score
Baldwin did enough last year, especially on the big stage, to make teams take notice. He is the type that can "silently" get by doing great things and not gather too much attention. I believe that is about to end as far as the under the radar thing goes.

I think he has the natural ability, the drive to be what people have not seen him as, and the opportunity with his trust given by Wilson, to fill the role as a number one. I see him taking the new found attention as a challenge, and he will become even better because of it. The guy has both the talent and the drive to do it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So when Russell Wilson spreads the ball around so much, is there really a #1 WR in the bunch?
Baldwin was Jackson's go to guy before Wilson came onto the scene, and in his Rookie Season, he was one of the most prolific Receivers in the NFC.
Hell, even that one catch in his Rook Season that was ruled an interception, Baldwin dove over the top of the defender and it was ADB's hands on the pig skin, with the defenders hands cupping Doug's, and it should have been ruled a 1st down catch.
Teams didn't/don't game plan for him, because he doesn't have the true #1 measurables that everyone ties to that brand, much in the way that everyone discounts Russell Wilson because he just too short to be a top tier Quarterback. SMH.

sutz

Reaction score
I've never understood the whole "#1 WR" debate. And please don't bother me with your opinion on the matter. Kip explained it well enough above, but still....

Our offense doesn't really need a superstar WR to be effective. Sure, one would help, but too many of them around the league are divas that get grumpy when they don't get enough touches or targets. We feature team players that celebrate each other's success and are patient enough to know they'll get their turn if they continue to work within the framework of the team and the game plans. Like last season, when good players take that attitude, they are virtually unstoppable...as a team. It is no accident that all three squads, O, D, and ST outscored Denver in SB48. Any team facing the Seahawks have to prepare in ALL aspects of the game, or they will probably lose.

Doug Baldwin has epitomized the team aspect of our guys. He stepped up his rookie year, then still hung in there when he was forced to step back a bit after we built up the WR crew to its current strength.

As for the #1 argument, I blame Fantasy Football. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
Someone sent a memo out, start complimenting the Seahawks, Baldwin is a Number 1, Seahawks are a Dynasty, Thomas is the best Safety, Pete and John are the best front office.

Try not to piss them off and maybe we can lull them into submission.

MB12

Reaction score
sutz":317d49jv said:
I've never understood the whole "#1 WR" debate. And please don't bother me with your opinion on the matter. Kip explained it well enough above, but still....

Our offense doesn't really need a superstar WR to be effective. Sure, one would help, but too many of them around the league are divas that get grumpy when they don't get enough touches or targets. We feature team players that celebrate each other's success and are patient enough to know they'll get their turn if they continue to work within the framework of the team and the game plans. Like last season, when good players take that attitude, they are virtually unstoppable...as a team. It is no accident that all three squads, O, D, and ST outscored Denver in SB48. Any team facing the Seahawks have to prepare in ALL aspects of the game, or they will probably lose.

Doug Baldwin has epitomized the team aspect of our guys. He stepped up his rookie year, then still hung in there when he was forced to step back a bit after we built up the WR crew to its current strength.

As for the #1 argument, I blame Fantasy Football. ;)

Well said! :13:

Meeker

Reaction score
kearly":1tv2gudj said:
Baldwin had some studly plays last season. The unreal toe-tappers vs. Carolina and another team (Titans?). The TD catch he had right before halftime against the Vikings was awesome as well. Baldwin did more than stay healthy last season, he got better too.

I went and watched the toe-tappers on film before I clicked on the article and noticed that all three were a picture there...they were the Panthers, the Texans, and the Bucs. The Titans toe-tapper was Sidney Rice.

DBALD COLL

Agreed with what you said, and I'm happy to have him. If he develops into a true #1, he will be incredibly hard to keep, but he won't get the opportunity to prove that even if he is capable...not with Pete as the HC and not with Wilson as the QB and the way he spreads the ball around.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
ADB is a lot like our Steve Smith. I never hear any arguments about the panther's Steve Smith not being their #1 WR. They are both smaller, gritty, passionate, angry WR's that always seem to find a way to get open and catch the ball well. Smith managed to produce pretty well for them w/ some pretty poor QB play at times and not much help so I think ADB could do the same if called upon to do it.

That being said as others noted above, Wilson and our 'O' don't really need that "true" #1 WR as we spread the ball around a lot. The diva WR's would be unhappy w/ that I am sure.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
To me a #1 is the guy that can catch the ball when defenses are trying stop him in critical situations. The guy that in a 3rd and long when everybody on the field knows where the ball has to go to get the first down, gets open and make that clutch catch. I really don't care if teams game plan for him or not. ADB produces in those situations when it's the hardest. A #1 is the go to guy for the QB. ADB is all of that. So, yes in my mind he is a #1 WR, until somebody proves to be that guy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
v1rotv2":1kopen4z said:
To me a #1 is the guy that can catch the ball when defenses are trying stop him in critical situations. The guy that in a 3rd and long when everybody on the field knows where the ball has to go to get the first down, gets open and make that clutch catch. I really don't care if teams game plan for him or not. ADB produces in those situations when it's the hardest. A #1 is the go to guy for the QB. ADB is all of that. So, yes in my mind he is a #1 WR, until somebody proves to be that guy.

Yup. Very well said