Michael Bennett stayed "because of the fans"

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Good stuff.

Wrestling nerd alert...Bennett's celebratory move is modeled from Ravishing Rick Rude....not Ric Flair, as stated in the interview.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ivotuk":39tj1xds said:
Loud Seahawks fans = Defensive Lineman Love!

Yup, which is why we almost snared Jared Allen. No other position on the team gains a bigger benefit from the 12th man than the defensive line.

sutz

Reaction score
RiverDog":18e79r42 said:
ivotuk":18e79r42 said:

Yup, which is why we almost snared Jared Allen. No other position on the team gains a bigger benefit from the 12th man than the defensive line.
I figure on a standard play, say on a neutral field, the O-line has about a half step advantage just from knowing what the play and the snap count is. Our crowd noise destroys that, and in many ways gives our guys a half step advantage beyond just being even. Half a step is huge in football.

Msfann

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":3vlsx9bf said:
Good stuff.

Wrestling nerd alert...Bennett's celebratory move is modeled from Ravishing Rick Rude....not Ric Flair, as stated in the interview.

Heh yeah if he did the Ric Flair face flop he would probably get pulled from the game and checked for a concussion. :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3i6yor2a said:
I don't buy it, but it sounds nice.

Definitely sounds a lot better than wanting to retire in a state with legal weed.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sutz":15tpyhok said:
RiverDog":15tpyhok said:
ivotuk":15tpyhok said:

I figure on a standard play, say on a neutral field, the O-line has about a half step advantage just from knowing what the play and the snap count is. Our crowd noise destroys that, and in many ways gives our guys a half step advantage beyond just being even. Half a step is huge in football.

Yep, I agree. At least a half a step....that is our Home field advantage. In addition, it really rattles a QB named Kaepernick.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I do remember when he got here, he stated in an interview that he was mostly excited about playing with the 12s screaming and causing problems.

There is no way that a QB can communicate in the manner they like, the 12s do not show mercy. Dline guys have to love that.

Vetamur

Reaction score
and coincidentally the Seahawks offered the best contract, so there's that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Vetamur":2k01dvqd said:
I thought his brother or someone said he got offered a little more elsewhere? Got a link?

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
Someone is stealing hearts today lol. Forget the 10 mil a year....

In other news, Benntte jersey sales have seen a substantial jump in sales. Lol

Vetamur

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rhvvsvb said:
Vetamur":3rhvvsvb said:
I thought his brother or someone said he got offered a little more elsewhere? Got a link?
Perhaps a little more money, but not a better contract. Taking a little more but playing in a different system with a lesser supporting cast isn't usually a better deal. Production falls and soon you're being asked to take a haircut.
No link.. And it's not that I doubt he loves the fans but I have my doubts "fans" are a deciding factor. That's like choosing your job based on the view from the office. All things being equal, yea, take the view.. But if the other place is offering better career opportunities then take the basement office.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Typically, when speaking in terms of contracts being "better", it's all about the money and years and guarantees. There's nothing stated or implied about anything else, including the supporting cast.

IIRC, Bennett was offered a better contract (more money) to play somewhere else. He took less to stay in Seattle than what he could have got elsewhere.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Vetamur":4nsvc1kb said:
RolandDeschain":4nsvc1kb said:
Vetamur":4nsvc1kb said:
Perhaps a little more money, but not a better contract. Taking a little more but playing in a different system with a lesser supporting cast isn't usually a better deal.

A "better" contract is all about the money and years. Period. Otherwise a 4-year, $5 million dollar contract in New England would be better than a 4-year, $7 million dollar contract in Cleve Land.

Bennett was offered a better contract elsewhere. And while the fact he was weighing a Super Bowl caliber team against a team that wasn't nearly as competitive held some sway in his decision, I'm sure the Twelves had a good deal of sway too.

The decision could have been as easy as saying "hey, it's worth a million a year to me just to play in front of this crowd in a situation I like, rather than be faced with a duller crowd and a lot of what-ifs." People turn down a lot more money to work in a situation or location they like better all the time. It's not uncommon to hear common folks turn down ten or twenty thousand to stay in or move to a situation that suits them better. Figure out the percentage, and I bet Bennett's million is less of a percentage of the total than many people far less wealthy turn down.

Hell, it's a lot less of a percentage than what I opted to turn down myself. I could be back east still, working a pretty sweet career for a lot of money, rather than being back in Washington State. To me, raising my kids in this environment and a good school district, and away from the hellhole that is the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Mary Land was well worth it.

And that tells me playing in front of the Twelves may indeed have been a key difference maker to Bennett.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":xjf1tkec said:
Typically, when speaking in terms of contracts being "better", it's all about the money and years and guarantees. There's nothing stated or implied about anything else, including the supporting cast.

IIRC, Bennett was offered a better contract (more money) to play somewhere else. He took less to stay in Seattle than what he could have got elsewhere.

Perhaps the Bears offered more in terms of pure contract amount, but was it more in terms of money in the pocket for Bennett? Washington has no state income tax and this allows Seattle to structure contracts differently. When the players are shown the you keep this amount numbers the Seattle deal is way more competitive than the raw numbers may appear.

I think he likes the guys he works with and works for here and Seattle was the team that brought him into the league, even though Ruskell was too stupid to keep him. Besides everything he says about playing with the home field advantage the 12's give a pass rush is totally true. If the money was close staying where he has had success makes sense.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If Bennett balls out for a few games I am grabbing his Jersey. So far my only failed jersey purchase was Tatupu and he was around for a while. I think Bennett is here for good if he maintains. Just a fantastic signing. If he and Avril were on the 12 team we would have 2 Super Bowl trophies.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1iubr8g3 said:
BlueTalon":1iubr8g3 said:

Perhaps the Bears offered more in terms of pure contract amount, but was it more in terms of money in the pocket for Bennett? Washington has no state income tax and this allows Seattle to structure contracts differently. When the players are shown the you keep this amount numbers the Seattle deal is way more competitive than the raw numbers may appear.
When Hutch signed the poison pill deal, it cost him almost $4M in additional taxes, so there is definitely a difference in the amount of money a player gets to keep in a non-income-tax state. Still, that's not part of the contract. A better contract can land a player in a worse situation, and vice versa, but that's not because of the contract.