Biggest regular season plays last year

seabowl

Reaction score
Outside of the Sherman pick of Schaub, what were the biggest (most important) plays the the regular season for us last season. IMO Kearses TD on opening day was one of if not the biggest. We won a hard fought battle vs a really good opponent on the road. Without that TD and win, things IMO probably would have gone quite different with regards to the results for the season.

What were some others?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Baldwin's sideline grabs were all HUGE. Without them we likely lose at least one those games.

Tate's KO return against the Bucs gave us the boost we needed to win that game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2s9m6nt7 said:
Baldwin's sideline grabs were all HUGE. Without them we likely lose at least one those games. ...

Beat me to it. Specifically, I was thinking of Baldwin's sideline tippy-toe catch of Wilson's wounded duck against the Panthers, when it looked like Wilson was throwing the ball away but hadn't gotten enough on it, just as 3 Carolina linemen were converging for a sack. IIRC, that one was on the winning TD drive.

Without that win against Carolina, we might not win the division and get homefield advantage for the NFC, and might be playing AT Carolina and AT San Francisco.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The 4th down conversion by RW vs. the Texans. Still can't see how the hell he got that, they had it bottled up and he got past that 1st down marker. HUGE
The forced fumble and recovery at Carolina by ET and Sherm. They were going in at that point.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Boiler":19pmeo9n said:
Goal line stand at the end of the St Louis game.

That was huge. A game where we were supposed to win very easily given Bradford was out and their entire city was too busy watching baseball that day to eliminate their HFA, and the game came down to that. Very thankful our team came out learning from a victory than learning from a loss that could have cost us HFA in the playoffs.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
olyfan63":2bbjzp84 said:
HawkFan72":2bbjzp84 said:
Baldwin's sideline grabs were all HUGE. Without them we likely lose at least one those games. ...

Beat me to it. Specifically, I was thinking of Baldwin's sideline tippy-toe catch of Wilson's wounded duck against the Panthers, when it looked like Wilson was throwing the ball away but hadn't gotten enough on it, just as 3 Carolina linemen were converging for a sack. IIRC, that one was on the winning TD drive.

Without that win against Carolina, we might not win the division and get homefield advantage for the NFC, and might be playing AT Carolina and AT San Francisco.

The Carolina catch came in the 3rd quarter and lead to a FG, making the game a 7-6 Carolina lead. IMO the Houston catch was much more important. If you recall that was the one when we were backed up on our 5 yard line on 3rd down. It extended the drive and lead to a TD drive to make it 13-20 Texans.

Both were fantastic plays.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1col62dn said:
The 4th down conversion by RW vs. the Texans. Still can't see how the hell he got that, they had it bottled up and he got past that 1st down marker. HUGE

Yeah, that one!
That was truly a Houdini, a Tarkenton-esque play. It made no sense how he escaped Whitney Mercilius, then outran JJ Watt and Justin Tuggle to the marker, but the key to the play was #51 of the Texans, who came flying in, had Wilson dead to rights, apparently trying for a big hit, and Wilson subtly juked him and changed his angle, such that #51 missed the tackle, and Wilson got the 1st down.

Anyone know who this Houston linebacker #51 is? I couldn't find him in the 2013 roster list. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut the week after that play. Positively an Aaron-Curry-esque play by that dude. I know what you're thinking--why pick on Aaron Curry, and not Kelly Jennings? Well, Kelly Jennings would have hit Wilson square and then bounced off, but this was closer to a whiff, so it was Curry-esque, not Jennings-esque.)

Anyway, I nominate mystery player #51 of Houston for making the biggest opponent play of the Seattle 2013 season. (maybe tied with Schaub's pick-6, but if #51 doesn't f-up this play, Schaub's play is moot. Heck, let's just give this #51 stiff a Super Bowl ring already for his contribution. I suppose "top opponent (bonehead) play of 2013" would be an entertaining thread while we're waiting for training camp to start. Alright, I'll start it already.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Week one, in Carolina, Seattle has a late lead and Earl Thomas forces a fumble with Carolina driving into the red zone to help seal the win.

olyfan63

Reaction score
olyfan63":13g16bqh said:
SoulfishHawk":13g16bqh said:

Yeah, that one!
That was truly a Houdini, a Tarkenton-esque play. It made no sense how he escaped Whitney Mercilius, then outran JJ Watt and Justin Tuggle to the marker, but the key to the play was #51 of the Texans, who came flying in, had Wilson dead to rights, apparently trying for a big hit, and Wilson subtly juked him and changed his angle, such that #51 missed the tackle, and Wilson got the 1st down.
-snip!-

Here is a nice little photo sequence of that play, telestrator markup and semi-relevant commentary, in, of all unexpected places, Bleacher Report!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794 ... in-houston
It's the second play in the article, scroll down about halfway.

So #51 for Houston was the linebacker who was spying on Wilson, and flat out didn't get it done, got juked and beaten by Wilson in getting the first down.