M. Rob's on the danger of "ego"

pmedic920

Reaction score
Pete has a formula for success. Part of the formula it to let the guys be themselves.
I think he does a good job of keeping his finger on the pulse of the team.
IMHO unless he sees something he thinks is a detriment, he will continue to let the guys be themselves.
I have my own opinion of how players should act but I'm not smarter than PC when it comes to coaching and overseeing a NFL football team.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
LOL.... at the negative comments. What a bunch of know nothing whinny little punks!

OP
OP
Gametime

Gametime

Reaction score
I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

So, to answer his question....who do you think fill that leadership void of Big Red, Clemons, and M. Rob?

Or, do the "young" guys like ET and Sherm take fully over in terms of leadership? I think Big Red especially was a huge emotional leader in the clubhouse.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
This is why Kevin Williams is such an important signing. He will provide that veteran leadership if guys get out of line..

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's a valid concern, but I think it can be mitigated. Pete will talk to guys whom he feels show leadership qualities and need a push to be more vocal about it. He did it with Kam already.

As for vets, Mebane, Unger, Rice, T-Jack, Avril, Bennett, Ryan and Williams all qualify.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It already looks like he was right. Some one ADB respects needs to tell him to quit behaving like a teenage girl with his social media.

kearly

Reaction score
Pete Carroll, as much as I love him and respect his extraordinary intelligence, does not suffer fools well and this sometimes shows when he has cranky moments in interviews when people give him unwise lines of questioning.

Maybe it's the success and how it's raised Wilson's profile, or maybe it's a couple years with Carroll, but there are moments I see this same curtness from Wilson that was a lot harder to see a couple years ago. Recently, he did an interview at one of his passing academies at UW and seemed a little annoyed by some of the questions in that one.

It might be hard to see, but success does often change people. I have faith in our coaches and team that this won't be an issue. But if Wilson rattles off 5+ SB wins over the next 15 years, will he have the same personality as the guy who was giddy at the 75th overall pick? People change, though for Wilson I don't expect him to change much. Maybe a little.

chris98251

Reaction score
This isn't Petes first run with success, he knows how to take a team that has won and get them on track, USC had a lot more in the ego department then we have I think.

Cinnamongirl

Reaction score
Gametime":24lqp2hf said:
I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

So, to answer his question....who do you think fill that leadership void of Big Red, Clemons, and M. Rob?

Or, do the "young" guys like ET and Sherm take fully over in terms of leadership? I think Big Red especially was a huge emotional leader in the clubhouse.

Sherman is no leader. He is an Ochocinco

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Cinnamongirl":3lw4f03m said:
Gametime":3lw4f03m said:

Sorry but you are incorrect. He is brash, loud and cocky...but he loves the LOB too much (and the reputation of the entire D) to just be a mouth with no bite.

If you are a new defensive back with a chance to be part of the LOB, and you struggle on the field or don't dedicate enough time in film study, you think that Sherm will not be on you when you do wrong? Of course he will.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
kearly":2zezbjaq said:
Pete Carroll, as much as I love him and respect his extraordinary intelligence, does not suffer fools well and this sometimes shows when he has cranky moments in interviews when people give him unwise lines of questioning.

Maybe it's the success and how it's raised Wilson's profile, or maybe it's a couple years with Carroll, but there are moments I see this same curtness from Wilson that was a lot harder to see a couple years ago. Recently, he did an interview at one of his passing academies at UW and seemed a little annoyed by some of the questions in that one.

It might be hard to see, but success does often change people. I have faith in our coaches and team that this won't be an issue. But if Wilson rattles off 5+ SB wins over the next 15 years, will he have the same personality as the guy who was giddy at the 75th overall pick? People change, though for Wilson I don't expect him to change much. Maybe a little.

So wait, what is it that we want exactly? Wilson the "fake" robot? Or Wilson the human? Some combination of the two that is some impossible standard?

Of course he's going to change over the next 15 years. Everyone does. Are you the same person you were 5 years ago? I know that I'm not and it's a good thing. I think we place incredibly unrealistic expectations on these young athletes. If I was Wilson I would most likely not have near the patience he does with all the inane questions that are asked.

First, he gets asked the same thing over and over and over again. Second, people like to throw in controversial questions to get him to say something juicy for hte media. It would grow tiresome quickly.

I get tired of being "fake professional" at work after a week of meetings, I can't imagine doing this pretty much year round and then being recorded and nitpicked on top of it.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Not a problem,

I forget who wrote the article, but JS was interviewed prior to the draft and said they literally have to do checks on guys before drafting them about how they will fair in the uber competitive environment that is the seahawks.

A former 4th round WR couldn't handle Sherm and ET going 150% every day at him at practice.

Always compete, Best man plays. Are two pillars of this organization.

Its been proven over and over.

Russel starting as a rookie
Browner losing his job for a while last year (prior to his suspension)

This team has a goal to be the best ever and they wont let anything get in their way.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Cinnamongirl":h6acfqw4 said:
Gametime":h6acfqw4 said:

REGULATORS!!!!!!

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Don't be leaving out the guy leading by example right now. None other than Brandon Mebane. We have vet leaders on this team. No worries here.

lukerguy

Reaction score
MRob is a wise dude.

I think Michael Bennett and Brandon Mebane may be able to fill that roll.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cinnamongirl":14gah6ca said:

You are right and wrong.

Sherm is a leader, make no mistake. He and ET are the most vocal leaders on the D, and set the tone for practice. THAT is well documented and agreed upon by the media and coaches.

On the other hand, Sherman has painted himself into a corner with his mouth. He continues to talk and get into media wars with everyone and anyone he can in order to maintain the boulder size chip on his shoulder. The problem is there will come a point in time if he doesn't tone it down that his play won't be able to backup his mouth (like Ochocinco and T.O.).

Hopefully that's 8-10 years from now. But it will come. I just hope Sherm starts to mellow on feeling the need to bark at everyone and anyone like he does now.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Cinnamongirl":3cy92lul said:
Gametime":3cy92lul said:

That's spoken from the vantage point of a non-Seahawks fan. It's easy for the rest of the teams' fans to think this way because of the persona Sherman paints in the media. Understandable, because most other fans don't follow the team nearly as well as 'Hawks fans do, if they follow much at all. If you'd seen him interact in camp and practices, you'd know he's absolutely a leader, and quite the opposite of the image he has to outsiders. He sets the tone in practice and on the field. He pushes his teammates to succeed. He challenges them, and hard, because that's what it takes to win. He understands how much hard work is needed to survive, let alone succeed in this league, and makes sure the young guys understand this too.

chris98251

Reaction score
There was a reason during OTA's that there were some punches thrown, it wasn't player dislike it was education to the new players in camp, we play hard in practice and in games, no walk in the park on this team. Sherm and Earl set the tone for the DB's, they play, study, and push others, they coach and help the guys on both offense and defense in the film room, as does Russell Wilson who found a tell in Manning.

They are also all over in the community and in their home areas. I don't know how they manage it but it gets done.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
lukerguy":366v1qc2 said:
MRob is a wise dude.

I think Michael Bennett and Brandon Mebane may be able to fill that roll.
Bennett does not come across as a leader in his interviews but maybe he will grow into the roll.