Top opponent (bonehead) plays of 2013 that help 'Hawks to SB

olyfan63

Reaction score
Inspired by SeaBowl's thread, "Biggest regular season plays last year".

For every great play, there's an opponent who got pancaked, got burned, made a bad read, got his jockstrap handed to him, we'll just call it a bonehead play, that Seattle players skillfully took advantage of, to turn into a key play during the season. Let's keep it to the regular season, with a special eye towards opponent blunders that positively stand out on replay, even if they weren't obvious at game speed.

I'll start the list with the top 3 plays I can immediately think of:

1. Houston game: #51 for Houston takes a bad angle and whiffs on Wilson, allowing Wilson to scramble for a 1st down on a key 4th down play. Whitney Mercilius could get honorable mention on the same play, but #51 clearly makes a far more bonehead play. #51 must have been cut right after this, as I can't find who this player is from Houston's 2013 roster.

2. Same Houston game, late in the 4th quarter, Schaub lofts up the pick-6 wounded duck gift that Sherman happily accepts and runs in for a score.

3. Rams game, at St. Louis, Janoris Jenkins gets outleaped by Golden Tate for a Wilson Hail Mary pass that Tate then turns into a long TD play.

olyfan63":3iml2mbr said:
SoulfishHawk":3iml2mbr said:
The 4th down conversion by RW vs. the Texans. Still can't see how the hell he got that, they had it bottled up and he got past that 1st down marker. HUGE

Yeah, that one!
That was truly a Houdini, a Tarkenton-esque play. It made no sense how he escaped Whitney Mercilius, then outran JJ Watt and Justin Tuggle to the marker, but the key to the play was #51 of the Texans, who came flying in, had Wilson dead to rights, apparently trying for a big hit, and Wilson subtly juked him and changed his angle, such that #51 missed the tackle, and Wilson got the 1st down.

Anyone know who this Houston linebacker #51 is? I couldn't find him in the 2013 roster list. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut the week after that play. Positively an Aaron-Curry-esque play by that dude. I know what you're thinking--why pick on Aaron Curry, and not Kelly Jennings? Well, Kelly Jennings would have hit Wilson square and then bounced off, but this was closer to a whiff, so it was Curry-esque, not Jennings-esque.)

Anyway, I nominate mystery player #51 of Houston for making the biggest opponent play of the Seattle 2013 season. (maybe tied with Schaub's pick-6, but if #51 doesn't f-up this play, Schaub's play is moot. Heck, let's just give this #51 stiff a Super Bowl ring already for his contribution. I suppose "top opponent (bonehead) play of 2013" would be an entertaining thread while we're waiting for training camp to start. Alright, I'll start it already.

Meeker

Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick's entire 4th quarter in the NFCC. Thanks Kaep :common039:

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thread start was asking for Regular Season plays, parallel to the other thread.

Besides, Kaep's NFCCG play was just TOO obvious, like Schaub's pick-6 to Sherman. It was the first one that came to my mind too.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Remember when the playoff game against the Saints got hairy at the end until Marques Colston threw that very very forward lateral resulting in a 10 second runoff to end the game? Could have stepped out and gave his team another play from the Seahawks 37. Still probably would have resulted in a Seahawks win, but still very dumb.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Schaub shouldn't have thrown that pass, but at the same time, you have to give Seattle credit for making that play happen. They scouted it and had a designed play in place just for the occasion. Reportedly, the same play resulted in a Pick-6 during Seahawks practice that week. Sherman also made a great play on the ball and had to out-muscle a tight end for possession. Far from a gift.

However, I think we can all agree that play effectively ended Houston's season and Schaub's tenure as the team's starting QB.

kearly

Reaction score
The sequence of personal fouls (which included an ejection) near the goal line by the Rams in week 17. Seattle probably still wins the game anyway, but the Rams were hanging around in the game until that moment.

Kaepernick had some boneheaded throws that were picked in week 2, which turned a tight game into a Seahawks laugher.

When I think of the biggest boneheaded plays of the season it's actually Seahawks plays that leap to mind, most especially the epic botch by Maragos on his lone field goal hold, one of the most boneheaded plays in Seahawks history, IMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wasn't on the field, but whoever called plays for Tampa, his balls shriveled up with a 21-0 lead. They got more predictable than a 3rd down and long Holmgren draw.

Fitzpatrick. Seriously, the Titans had a decent squad save that guy. It seemed like every time he dropped back an interception was about to happen.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Any QB who tested Sherman on a fade by the latter half of the season was pretty boneheaded.

The guy who body-slammed Baldwin during the Houston game basically sealed Seattle's victory. The resulting PF put them in arm's-reach of field goal range.

drdiags

Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams with his fumble late in the Panthers game. The DBs who let Kearse behind them for the game winning score in the same game.

Brees fumbling the ball for the Bennett TD.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
DavidSeven":sbnyway8 said:
Any QB who tested Sherman on a fade by the latter half of the season was pretty boneheaded.

The guy who body-slammed Baldwin during the Houston game basically sealed Seattle's victory. The resulting PF put them in arm's-reach of field goal range.

That one certainly fulfills the "bonehead" part of the deal! At the time, it was such a gift, it almost felt unfair. I would have almost rather have seen the team get the yards to field goal range the old-fashioned way. But, in this fickle game, you have to take whatever gifts the game gives you; your opponent certainly will.

What Houston player (name or jersey #) was it that pulled that stunt? Was it our beloved Houston's #51 going for the daily double?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wasn't a Seahawks game.. but this play wound up being huge to the eventual conclusion of the season.

drewbreesnecksuperslomo.gif

Perfundle

Reaction score
olyfan63":jfd7t93f said:
Anyone know who this Houston linebacker #51 is? I couldn't find him in the 2013 roster list. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut the week after that play. Positively an Aaron-Curry-esque play by that dude. I know what you're thinking--why pick on Aaron Curry, and not Kelly Jennings? Well, Kelly Jennings would have hit Wilson square and then bounced off, but this was closer to a whiff, so it was Curry-esque, not Jennings-esque.)
Pro Football Reference's roster list is much more complete. #51 is one Darryl Sharpton, who's now with the Redskins.

What Houston player (name or jersey #) was it that pulled that stunt? Was it our beloved Houston's #51 going for the daily double?
Regrettably, it was Kareem Jackson instead (who also happened to be the one burned by Baldwin's awesome, drive-saving sideline catch in the fourth), but Sharpton was responsible for the other personal foul in overtime when he took down Lynch with a horse-collar tackle.

Perfundle

Reaction score
kearly":nr71jfao said:
The sequence of personal fouls (which included an ejection) near the goal line by the Rams in week 17. Seattle probably still wins the game anyway, but the Rams were hanging around in the game until that moment.
It wasn't just that sequence. The Rams had 10 (10!!) personal fouls called on them, some of them offsetting. I wonder if that's some sort of record.

IronSaint

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":178nhaj7 said:
Remember when the playoff game against the Saints got hairy at the end until Marques Colston threw that very very forward lateral resulting in a 10 second runoff to end the game? Could have stepped out and gave his team another play from the Seahawks 37. Still probably would have resulted in a Seahawks win, but still very dumb.

Apparently, it was scripted to try a lateral to Cadet in that situation. But to our misfortune, instead of your guys trying to haul *** across the the field to go towards cutting off Colston like we anticipated, your guys (Maxwell and Lane I think?) remained in position and then recognized what was happening. It was a great heads-up play.

However, I was in the same viewpoint as you when it happened. I was in shock for like an hour after the game. All I could say was, "WHY THE **** DIDN'T HE STEP OUT?!" It wasn't until I was on my way home and heard Payton's post-game presser that he said it was a scripted lateral (if what Colston executed could even be called that).

But hey, at least we found out who our emergency QB could be! :lol:

drdiags":178nhaj7 said:
Brees fumbling the ball for the Bennett TD.

Ugh, this play haunts my subconscious. It reminds me of that play-off game in 2009 between the Packers and Cardinals where Aaron Rodgers punted the ball to Dansby as he was getting sacked. :cry:

Bilde

Hasselbeck":178nhaj7 said:
Wasn't a Seahawks game.. but this play wound up being huge to the eventual conclusion of the season.

drewbreesnecksuperslomo.gif

BreesNeck zpsf7480612

:th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
The missed field goal and then icing then the making of the second try in the Atlanta game the previous seasons playoffs. That put purpose on last year from the time they walked into the tunnel till the end of the Super Bowl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Other than Krapsondick and his ego, attempting to go against Sherm in the NFC Championship etc.
I gotta' go with Shaub and the pick 6. Zero reason for them to pass the ball there, run the ball, punt and play D.

253hawk

Reaction score
Zach Brown of the Titans, trying to scoop up a Lynch fumble near the goal lone and run with it but accidentally flipping it right back to Wilson.

evergreen

Reaction score
253hawk":25sperdr said:
Zach Brown of the Titans, trying to scoop up a Lynch fumble near the goal lone and run with it but accidentally flipping it right back to Wilson.

Yes!

Could be the safety in the SB...They were already there but sure helped to win.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31u8063l said:
Other than Krapsondick and his ego, attempting to go against Sherm in the NFC Championship etc.
I gotta' go with Shaub and the pick 6. Zero reason for them to pass the ball there, run the ball, punt and play D.

That's my vote. We were ugly the entire game against that team. It was the only "whew!"/mop forehead game for me the entire season and it broke Matt Shaub, probably permanently.