Russell Wilson plays poorly in the First Quarter?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
• "Struggled in the first quarter (-9.1)."

"Can you win in the first quarter? No." Concerning though. Would think that getting off to better starts has to be a goal for 2014.

As pointed out by Stat Mode, it's definitely worth noting that Wilson did, however, have the second best grade (+14.7) in the second half of games, behind only Peyton Manning per that split; Wilson ranked 7th in the 3rd quarter (+7.7) and 6th in the 4th and overtime (+7.0).

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... ball-focus

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ya in 2013 his first quarter was not that great
58/95 627yards 4TD/2INT 85.7rating rushing:82 yards

He did however have a fantastic 2nd quarter rating. 11TD/0Int 125QB rating.

2012 he was pretty damn good though:
68/94 872yards 72.3% 5TD 0INT 118.8rating rushing: 109yards 2TD

nanomoz

Reaction score
The offense on the whole has been stronger in the second halves of games, it seems, throughout Carroll's tenure.

chris98251

Reaction score
You blame Wilson, he isn't calling the plays and they have not made adjustments yet, he is working off the script and the offense is testing and reading the defense's coverage and scheme to what we set up.

So how many more knocks on Wilson are we going to have in the next week or so, seems that there are more people trying to spin every negative they can the last few weeks making it sickening to read some threads.

For those that want to say then don't read them, Moderators job is to read them.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Yet despite Russ's "poor" 1st quarter performances Seattle still outscored their opponents 69-22 in the 1st quarter and only trailed after the 1st quarter 3 times, vs. Tennessee 3-0, @ St. Louis 3-0, and @ San Francisco 6-0.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1n7p5wfy said:
Yet despite Russ's "poor" 1st quarter performances Seattle still outscored their opponents 69-22 in the 1st quarter and only trailed after the 1st quarter 3 times, vs. Tennessee 3-0, @ St. Louis 3-0, and @ San Francisco 6-0.

Our defense contributes to that stat

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":1p536sa5 said:
You blame Wilson, he isn't calling the plays and they have not made adjustments yet, he is working off the script and the offense is testing and reading the defense's coverage and scheme to what we set up.

So how many more knocks on Wilson are we going to have in the next week or so, seems that there are more people trying to spin every negative they can the last few weeks making it sickening to read some threads.

For those that want to say then don't read them, Moderators job is to read them.

You have to take the good with the bad. Wilson was one of the best QBs in the league in the second half of games.

I definitely don't think I am blaming or knocking Wilson; that seems uncalled for. It's an interesting statistic that has several implications, including play calling in the First Quarter, as you say.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Our playcalling has a definite feeling things out quality in the first quarter. I am sure that contributes.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Lynch and the running game has basically worn out the defense by the 2nd half, I believe that has a lot to do with it.

Which is why I don't like the direction of more passing. we are so good at exhausting opposing defenses.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
How many negative threads of our Super Bowl winning, franchise greatest QB are enough?

Off-season needs to end.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pete Carroll teams have always been known to start slow at times on the offensive end.

It's Wilson's play in the second half of games that is so impressive.

Meeker

Reaction score
Wilson has always been off at the start of games, often throwing high. Its not a new observation.

Its not the playcalling or something that has to do with anything other than Wilson having early game jitters, but he gets over it quickly.

Me and my dad were kind of laughing during the Super Bowl when Aikman mentioned Wilson's off throw to Miller as evidence that he was nervous and proof that it wasn't just any other game to Wilson as Wilson had said during interviews...because thats how Wilson is in just about every game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2q2vn1wj said:
How many negative threads of our Super Bowl winning, franchise greatest QB are enough?

Off-season needs to end.

This was part of the Field Gulls report on the PFF scores. It was a good read, and we can use this to prognosticate areas of improvement in 2014.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":2a2julvv said:

I feel that was kind of aimed at my thread.

In my defense, I didn't say one negative thing about Wilson unless you count that I don't think he has enough tenure to earn an elite grade and that he has a few defiencies in his game he could work on. I pretty much said he was elite in the sense that all he pretty much as to do is sustain his success... yet everyone kind of flew off the handle which more or less I half expected.

On topic, I agree with you, the one thing that Bevell notoriously does is come up with mediorce play-calling to startout some games and then at times he'll selfishly stick to it when he needs to make adjustments.

And I'll agree with others as well Carroll has built this to be the best 2nd Half team in the NFL. We finish hard and we finish strong.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
There are a few contributing factors to note:

1: Statistics based on small numbers are not very accurate. The difference between a poor 1st quarter grade and a fantastic 2nd quarter grade is just 2 INTs. That's statistically meaningless in a small sample size because they could simply be anomalies.

2: There is greater urgency to score in the second half, and the 2-minute warning in particular. The rules that change at the 2-minute mark favor the passing game. The QB rating calculation heavily favors touchdowns.

3: When they win the coin toss, the Seahawks almost always elect to defer, so their opponents usually have the ball first in the first quarter. Quite often this means Seattle has fewer first-quarter possessions than their opponents, meaning fewer opportunities to score in the first quarter, and the QB rating calculation quite heavily favors TDs. Conversely, we have more opportunities to score in the 2nd, which is borne out by the stats.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm sure Peyton Maning is fantastic in 1st quarters, and in regular season games.

Perfundle

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2526zycc said:
There are a few contributing factors to note:

1: Statistics based on small numbers are not very accurate. The difference between a poor 1st quarter grade and a fantastic 2nd quarter grade is just 2 INTs. That's statistically meaningless in a small sample size because they could simply be anomalies.
This is the actually the only contributing factor.

2: There is greater urgency to score in the second half, and the 2-minute warning in particular. The rules that change at the 2-minute mark favor the passing game. The QB rating calculation heavily favors touchdowns.
That greater urgency leads to more interceptions as well. Last year QBs averaged a passer rating of 88.7 in the first quarter, 88.3 in the second quarter and 83.8 in the rest of the game. And even if it had been the case that QBs performed better in the second quarter, Wilson's PFF rating is relative to other QBs.

3: When they win the coin toss, the Seahawks almost always elect to defer, so their opponents usually have the ball first in the first quarter. Quite often this means Seattle has fewer first-quarter possessions than their opponents, meaning fewer opportunities to score in the first quarter, and the QB rating calculation quite heavily favors TDs. Conversely, we have more opportunities to score in the 2nd, which is borne out by the stats.
As WIlsonMVP pointed out, that wouldn't explain why it was the exact opposite last year, when Wilson was terrific in the first quarter.

Smellyman

Reaction score
of all my years watching football, I don't know if there is another qb I'd want with the game on the line in the 4th. Don't care what numbers say. He has won with legs and arm enough times in his first two years to warrant that confidence.

edit: I thought in the OP it said 4th. doh

Tical21

Reaction score
When most games start, we tend to try to be pretty conventional in the passing game. We read the defenses, go through our checks, and try to make plays from the pocket. Let's be brutally honest. When we try to employ a conventional passing game, we can get pretty darn stagnant.

Eventually, Russ figures out that he is going to have to make plays, and goes into his Fran Tarkenton routine, running all over the place and making big plays with his arm and feet.

That is no way to live though. I like to see them stay with the conventional game as long as they can, and improve at it. Hopefully we can get to a level of a "dissecting" passing game at some point, where Russ can just shred and make it look effortless. I'm quite certain we'll get there.